• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Santa Rosa Sheriff’s Office is trading up its firearms for more accuracy and a lower cost.

A switch from the .40-caliber Glock to the 9 mm Glock will allow the department to keep in line with law enforcement weapon standards and save county dollars with a lower ammunition cost.

Sheriff Bob Johnson said the department has ordered 240 new guns for its deputies, who are all in the process of certifying to shoot with the upgraded weapons.

Bob Johnson: Santa Rosa's new sheriff

“No. 1, the 9 mm is easier to shoot, there’s less recoil, the ammunition doesn’t cost as much and there’s more accuracy, so it’s an easy choice,” Johnson said.

“Some of the guns we traded in are 15 years old, so it’s time for something new."

Every .40-caliber firearm will be traded in, which kept the cost of the 9 mm weapons down to $120 each, Johnson said.

Deputies can use the same holsters and magazine pouches they used with the .40-caliber, but they will need to complete a training and certification before they start carrying the new gun on the street.

“The FBI just went to the 9 mm and they do exhaustive ballistics testing, so they came out with the finding that the 9 mm is just as effective, if not more effective, than the .40,” Johnson said.

The move comes after Santa Rosa County officials approved a pay raise for deputies, and SRSO vehicles are getting an upgrade.

The one-time, $1.6 million approval allows SRSO to stay competitive with starting salaries in neighboring counties. The department often sees its deputies resign in favor of higher wages elsewhere.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We had some Santa Rosa deputies come out and take our 3 day driving course last year. Good people, glad to see them getting a raise and new gear.

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is a welcomed change by most. We can also now carry personally owned Glock sidearms (9/40/45)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering about that. What are the limits on " Personal " weapons you can carry? Like Rick on the Walking Dead carries a Python? Yes I know it's a show but Dirty Harry carried a .44 Mag Too! I would just rather carry many of my pistols other then a Glock is all. Can you choose to carry a Beretta M9 or 92 fs?

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just a thought, If you have use it, you will lose it for while, It took al most a year to get one back one time, for my step son, and remember you don't want to get out of fact. spec. . Just my 5 cents jj

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have seen this issue before where off duty guns needed to be on a approved list and then shoot a qualifier (which does not suit some lower capacity CC handguns. This is pushed as a Dept liability issue: carry on Dept authority, use their approved stuff. Some LE with their hands tied would just get a CWP so they could have more versatility with guns and wardrobe. I'm sure it varies by Dept/Agency but On Duty BUGS are often prohibited or restricted to certain Sections/Ops.

Top Bottom