• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I've been thinking about buying a pre-lock
    Smith and Wesson model 60 so I've been watching Gunbroker.
    It's like a big joke. Nobody actually ever sells
    anything, they just keep relisting with a high reserve.
    Has anybody ever bought anything on there for a decent price?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Yes, many many times. You can sort through sellers who actually want to move stuff and those who don't (at least not for realistic numbers) pretty easily if you know what to look for. The advanced search feature is very useful.

Last edited:

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Same here many times... Just watch there shipping rates. Sometimes they seem to be a little high.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    And aside from the one jerk that wanted to wait 10 days for my postal money order to clear, and the morons who decided to not properly package or insure my lower, all great transactions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Hmmm, maybe the guns I'm looking for are too popular. Or maybe I'm expecting too good of a deal.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    When I am interested in a particular firearm, I always do an advanced gunbroker search of completed auctions, being very specific to all the characteristics I am interested in. I usually refine that search by deleting all the auctions with reserves. Generally, it gives me an idea of market value - of course, looking only at the auctions that actually had bids, and were sold.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah you can pick up something nice on GB if like the others said, you're patient and use the advanced functions to narrow down what stuff is actually moving for. I know what you mean though, a blanket search usually yields a bunch of overpriced, high reserve guns, that never get bid on. A lot of times it depends on what you are looking for as well. Sometimes those out of production guns are some real deals and sometimes folks seem to think they are worth their weight in gold. Some may very well be if it is unique enough. I don't think I have ever got a "great deal" on something there cause usually everyone else sees that too and the bidding war begins and ends up at best a reasonable price or the seller making out pretty well himself. I have no problem paying good money for something that I really want and have been looking for but sometimes that is even hard to do when the seller over values what he is trying to move.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I always look at the closed auctions but sometimes there will be pages of guns with no bids.
    That's a great idea to filter out those with reserves because they are usually high.
    GB needs to start charging a listing fee after the 2nd listing.
    I've seen a few guns on there for a couple of years. They are just taking up space.
    I was going to bid on a High Standard Marshall the other day but discovered it was on its 5th or 6th relisting and some of the bids that didn't make reserve were a lot more than I was willing to pay.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never paid much attention to gunbroker...i'll have to give it a look. The best "deals" I have got were at gunshows where a person was selling their private collection...especially on the second day of the show. Generally speaking though, once I get in my head I want something, I buy it...I don't want to get ripped off, but a $20 discount on a 600+ gun is not important to me. Now if I am going to buy something I am not targeting, then the deal needs to be sweet

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    If something is a little more than I "want" to pay, I just make a mental note to not super-size my happy meal for a few days, and I've saved enough money to buy what I want.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    It's not that I don't have the money. I could easily pay $900 for a NIB vintage Model 60 and still eat tonight. I'm just not going to do it. It's really kind of a game.
    I've been collecting guns for over 40 years. I'm to the point where I don't NEED anything.
    I just pick up WANTS when I see them at a good price.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's not that I don't have the money. I could easily pay $900 for a NIB vintage Model 60 and still eat tonight. I'm just not going to do it. It's really kind of a game.
    I've been collecting guns for over 40 years. I'm to the point where I don't NEED anything.
    I just pick up WANTS when I see them at a good price.

We're in the same place which is why I find deals. I don't need anything so I'm able to hangout until the right deal comes along.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    We're in the same place which is why I find deals. I don't need anything so I'm able to hangout until the right deal comes along.

The fun is really in the hunt. I could sit on GB all day and buy all the pristine S&Ws for the top dollar "buy it now" price but where's the fun in that ?
    I can't figure out if some of these high prices are the new norm or people just fishing. Most of them I see have no bids so I'm assuming just fishing.
    It seems like the asking prices for vintage revolvers jumped about $300 overnight.

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I bought an Arisaka for $140 shipped to restore a sporterized WWII bring-back.... the wood stock set alone was worth $300... keep shopping & you'll get your deal....

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The fun is really in the hunt. I could sit on GB all day and buy all the pristine S&Ws for the top dollar "buy it now" price but where's the fun in that ?
    I can't figure out if some of these high prices are the new norm or people just fishing. Most of them I see have no bids so I'm assuming just fishing.
    It seems like the asking prices for vintage revolvers jumped about $300 overnight.

Yep, I have a thing for pre-lock S&W revolvers. I sold of a 696 year before last. I bought it used a couple years earlier for $500 and end up selling it for $900. The guy I sold it to wanted it more than me because I wouldn't have paid $900 for it, but that was the market price. I don't sell too many, but if someone offers me double my money for something I don't use I have no problem selling it.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Be patient the deals are out there. All the high dollar collectable NIB stuff usually ends on Sunday nights and that's when all the collectors are over bidding.

Top Bottom