• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Trying a first knife assembly effort and I have the scales (handles) and pins to handle a Damascus blank I bought last year.

I am pretty handy mechanically, but only a rough carpenter type. I will likely do the installation with only hand tools, at a slow pace to minimize slip-ups, but would like to bounce a few question if needed off an experienced hobbyist.

Are there any knife hobbyist on the forum willing to answer a few questions on it if I need some advice? I would appreciate it, as this is a beautiful blank and I am afraid I all ready made one mistake....thinking I might para cord the grip I sharpened it a while back. Man, it took a great edge; so I will have to be very careful handling it to handle it! LOL

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I am a collector and wanna be hobbyist, but never had the time so far, Damascus will take a very sharp edge, be careful.. and keep it oiled or coated with a thin layer of Vaseline, as it will rust quickly

paracord would be a good grip, and easier, but wood will really make the Damascus grain pop out...I have some black walnut if you decide to go wood. very hard wood, and is forgiving of extra sanding...

have some western red cedar too...

how many layers of steel?

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Thanks Tenn.

The blank is a tracker design, and the steels are 1095 High Carbon Steel and 15n20 Steel (Over 200 Layers) with a rain drop pattern.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SBWKCBQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found out how sharp it can be. Sharpened the flat edge and then the curved. While sharpening the curved I did not notice I let my pinky finger brush the flat until I noticed the blood. Never felt the cut, that is a sharp edge!

I appreciate the handle material offer, but have that already. I am using Micarta Canvas Scales in a python pattern:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F3XMRR2/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w?th=1

I just was playing around with it and found I ordered the wrong size pin material so i will try to find a local source of 1/8" pin stock and a reamer tomorrow.

Have a nylon sheath from another tracker I had a kydex sheath made for, but ordered a leather holster for it as well:
    https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Trac...129017&sr=8-1&keywords=tracker+leather+sheath

Not a custom or self made knife, but a pattern I like in a material I have wanted to have a knife in for a while and set up the way I want it. I hope it is not as addicting as the guns and bows have been! LOL

Last edited:
    Top Bottom