• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quincyj34

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I finished my build and took it out to the range twice and so far I have put 140 rnds. through it. I've been experiencing short stroking. The first trip out to the range I shot 60 rounds of 55gr pmc bronze a few times I had failure to feed and the bolt wouldn't lock back on an empty mag. The second trip out I decided to try different ammo and brought Remington umc .223 55gr and some american eagle 62gr .223. First i checked to see if the bolt would lock with the 55gr Remington first and it did, then continued to shoot more. After I shot 60 rounds of the Remington i had two that didn't load and with loading 10 rnds at a time the bolt would only lock back maybe twice. Then I decided to try the american eagle, I loaded 20 rnds and fired. I didn't have any problems and when the mag was empty the bolt locked back like it should. I know this is due to either under gassing or too heavy of a buffer but im not sure which one it is. I did notice my rounds were ejecting at about the 4 o'clock position

The build:
    Aero precision upper & lower
    Spike tactical st-t2 buffer(4.0oz I weighed my-self), spring, and buffer tube
    16" Ballistic Advantage barrel w/lo pro gas block mid-length gas system .223 wylde caliber
    vg6 epsilon muzzle device
    Psa lpk w/QMS trigger
    Failzero nickel-boron bcg

So Im not sure if I should get a lighter buffer because the only thing light would be a carbine buffer or get an adjustable gas block and call it a day.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am sure someone more knowledgeable will come along but am I correct thinking that a standard buffer is 3.5 oz? That would help it cycle lower power ammo. As far as an adjustable gas block goes, you are under gassed already so I don't less gas would help. Do you know for sure that your gas block is lined up correctly with your gas port? I have seen suggested before that the gas block could cover some of the gas port (causing under gassing) if it is not centered correctly.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You shouldn't be having any problems with that combination of parts. Check out what Murf said. If it's not the gas block, there's friction someplace else. Check gas tube/carrier key interface, is the mag rubbing the carrier, is it easy to hand cycle.

Let us know.

quincyj34

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just pulled the gas block to check and it pretty much was dead on. I dont believe the carrier is rubbing i dont feel any rubbing.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Without getting hands, I'm just guessing now. The gas port may be smaller on the wylde barrels from ballistic

It may be the buffer/spring combo but I've got some pinned 14.5 mids that I never had a problem with the T2.

If you're not feeling any friction while hand cycling, more gas or less mass would seem to be the fix. As Murf said, if you're not getting enough gas, an adjustable isn't going to help you. You can drill out the gas port (do this last, and if you do, go small) or try a different buffer/spring combo. I can't imagine the tube would be the issue but there may be some blockage.

Good luck.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I don't know much about ARs, but a clean chamber, a clean bolt carrier, inspection for rough spots, and proper lube, has saved me from more complicated "fixes" a number of times, on other platforms.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had issues with the T2 buffers in a carbine length rifle of mine. It short stroked about every other round, and never locked back. Put back the standard carbine weight during the same range trip with the same ammo and it functioned properly with no other hiccups.
    What magazines are you using?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I will add this. I use standard carbine buffers in my ARs with mid-length barrels and I have no issues whatsoever. Typically, heavier buffers will be of more benefit with carbine gas systems as they tend to be a bit over-gassed for the most part.

quincyj34

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I"m using a gen 2 window pmag. I believe next plan of attack should be to try a lighter buffer. I have a gut feeling that the t2 is too heavy....I did contact spikes tactical and they stated that they do all their testing with pmc bronze so I would assume that gas port on the ballistic barrels are tad small. so Im going to switch to a carbine buffer and see how that does.

quincyj34

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I finally made it back out to the range this weekend. I changed the st-t2 buffer to a standard carbine buffer. I shot 20 rnds of 55gr. Remington umc, 30rnds of 55gr Federal, and 40rnds of 62gr. American Eagle. I had no problems at all, bolt locked back every on an empty mag and rounds fed every time.

Top Bottom