• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I am looking at getting into the red dot game for my concealment carry. Currently carry a gen 4 g26. Anyone carry with a red dot? Just wondering how much the red dot will effect in carrying. I am looking at the 12.9 green triangle model.

Doge

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great pick on the RMR. In terms of carrying it's probably your best bet. In regards to Dual Illuminated vs Red Dot they offer you'll need to consider the following.

Dual Illuminated
    - No need for batteries
    - Tinted Window
    - Sometimes the Amber or Green can be tricky to pick up (depends on your eyes)
    - Has trouble with the reticle during dusk or with ambient light
    - Run the possibility of not being able to be used with a Light, (Friend of mine has a Dual Illuminated on his EDC gun (M&P Core) but has to use Iron sights when using a weapon mounted light as its hard to find the dot.

LED RMR
    - Long battery life
    - Able to be used in all lighting conditions
    - Red dots typically are brighter indoors compared to outdoors due to the sun
    - Has to be removed to change battery

With that being said for a carry gun I recommend having Back Up Iron Sights (Dawson Precision Makes them for the MOS that cowitness with the G19MOS). This will also work if you decide to use the same gun as a nightstand gun (For a nightstand gun I recommend Irons and a light as you might run out of battery or solar charge with an RMR).

The RMR is great for carry as it won't print a lot, rugged, reliable, and you get what you pay for. But compared to other red dot optics such as Vortex Venom or Delta Point Pro it has a small window so it might be a touch harder to find the dot. For MOA Size anything bigger than 6 (8 MOA LED would be my choice for carry) will be adequate even up to 50 yards. For Carry and Defensive purposes I suggest the 7 or 9 MOA Dot not the triangle paired with BUIS that are co-witnessed. The 12-13MOA is huge for a the window size and while it might work for closer shots it's best to go a touch lower for drills and practice precision.

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thank you very much for your input Doge. I'm also looking at the Burris fast fire 3.

Doge

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Burris Fast fire 3 is great for competition use but I'm not quite sold on it for EDC and carry use. The FF3 is a great Red dot with the bigger window and can be considered an in-between a Delta Point Pro and RMR for finding the dot. Plus the FF3's anti-glare coating isn't the best.

The FF3 is great for target guns etc. but the RMR is much more rugged and appropriate for carry and hard use.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've got a new 19 MOS for sale, I'm good to ship. I can also get Trjicon stuff if you decide to follow through. I can get you pricing if you let me know what model you'd like.

Everyone has their own tastes, preferences, experiences, requirements etc so take the below for whatever you want.

I've shot a 4.25" CORE with a RM05 (dual illuminated green 9MOA dot) for several hundred rounds. I really like the setup. The dot takes some getting used to. You have to work on your presentation some so you don't end up trying to find the dot. General consensus is the larger/brighter dots make for quicker acquisition with smaller dots being better for precision. Keep in mind a 9MOA dot is only covering up 2.25" at 25yds. In my experience(yours may differ), I've found the dot to be great past 15yds for smaller targets. I don't feel(again, my experience) like the dot is adding that much speed 15yds and in. That is dependent on what size target you're shooting at.

As mentioned above, the dual illum can be hard to see on bright backgrounds (weapon light) and is really difficult to pickup when shooting from a dark area into daylight. Standing outside, it picks up the sun well and is plenty bright. I've got a RM01 (3.25 LED) too that's been mounted on a PCC. It's actually headed back to Trijicon because the dot goes in and out under recoil. Side by side without trying real hard, I didn't notice a huge difference between the RM01 and RMO2 WRT dot size. YMMV.

One aspect about the dimmer dot on the dual illuminated is sometimes, depending on illumination levels, you can see through the dot so you can cover a small target at distance and still see it. Not so with the LED.

For me, height is usually the primary factor for carrying, followed closely by width. The RMR is a small package but it adds some height.

The high sights on the core will allow you to cowitness with the RMR. The sights on my CORE are shoot thru at 25yds with the ammo I shoot. Your gun/ammo may be different.

Ultimately, it's up to you to figure out if the perceived benefits of swapping to a whole new rig are worth it. Whatever scenario you want to carry for will determine that. If you've not shot with one yet, I'd highly recommend you do so before dropping $1k on a new setup.

Either way. Red dots are cool

Doge

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When cowitnessing the rmr with the suppressor sights is it set up like an AR? Lollipop fashion?

Typically want the red dot to match the dot on the front sight. It really depends on the load you are running along with the BUIS you end up getting.

Doge

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Doge how do you feel about a rmr on a glock 26. Thinking just have my gen 4 slide milled.

That can work, since the benefit of the dot on a G26 is how fast the slide on the G26 moves during shooting (smaller slide, less mass, stronger recoil spring that it's bigger counterparts). The dot will help you with getting follow up shots. But not a lot of space for BUIS on the slide

I know the G26 is your carry gun but why not go up to a 19? A popular modification I've seen is a 19 with the grip cut to 26 size side.

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have seen that mod on here I believe. I am still on the fence of selling the 26 and get 19 for carry. I just googled red dot on 26 and when I seen it I really liked the look. Decisions decisions.

Doge

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have seen that mod on here I believe. I am still on the fence of selling the 26 and get 19 for carry. I just googled red dot on 26 and when I seen it I really liked the look. Decisions decisions.

Yeah it's tough, I carried a 43 for a while (Should've done a G26) but I like to have at least 10rds on me minimum so now I'm carrying a 19 that's been worked over by Frank Proctor at Way of the Gun and it's in a Raven Concealment Eidolon holster.

I'd look at the G19MOS since it's more gun, no need to mill the slide, has a rail if you want to put a light on it, and big enough for multiple applications. The G26 with red dot is cool as well but resale might be tricky. Can't go wrong with either of those choices whatever route you decide to take.

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If I do the 26 I'd add a tlr6 and use a priority one OWB holster and wouldn't sell it. The 19 mos is nice but everything I read says having the slide milled is better so still up in the air. I appreciate all the input you have given me though.

Doge

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I do the 26 I'd add a tlr6 and use a priority one OWB holster and wouldn't sell it. The 19 mos is nice but everything I read says having the slide milled is better so still up in the air. I appreciate all the input you have given me though.

No Problem, Glad I couldhelp! If you're committed to just the RMR and no other optic then slide milling is the way to go.

Top Bottom