• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Been doing some reading up on the 6.5Creedmore. Trying to figure out why the new enthusiasm over this chambering.
    Given the bore is .264" are these bullets supposed to be flatter shooting or something ??
    Seems to me that 7mm Creedmore would be better. The .284" bore diameter would be a little better at the longer ranges. How about the old 284Win. Seems that you could just rename that. It would surely shoot flatter than the 6.5C wouldn't it ??
    BUT THEN . . . we already have the 7mm-08,260,and 243. Can't they do what the 6.5C is supposed to do ??. And what about the poor 'ol .257" bore guns ?? What about a 257Creedmore ??
    I see now that there is some interest in a 6mm Creedmore already. What the heck would that do that a 243Win couldn't do ??
    All this Creedmore shit has got me scratching my head. --- SAWMAN

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Creedmoor is one of the more accurate rounds on the market, better ballistic coefficiency, and if I remember correctly more kinetic energy at long ranges than a .308 due to less bullet drag. With that being said all my rifles are still .308 but when I buy a Ruger Precision Rifle it will be a 6.5 Creedmoor.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And really baffling ----> looks like Ruger dropped the RPR chambered in 243Win,and replaced it with 6mmCreedmore.
    Am I missing something here ?? Maybe I need to go back to "ballistics school". Has the laws of physics/momentum changed lately ?? --- SAWMAN
    Added: Sorry guys,been spelling it wrong. "CREEDMOOR" is correct.

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    For my shooting needs (under 1K yards), the CM didn't do anything especially "better" per se than what I already have... .308, 7mm-08, ,243, etc. I just like the spice of life gun wise... I have a DPMS LR-65 and Ruger PR both in 6.5CM. I believe the CM does have the LR edge though.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Great question, I guess it's kinda like why is there a 40s&w, a 357 Sig, when there's 41ae and 41 magnum?
    22tcm vs 5.7?

All I know is a buddy of mine up in WV got into it(because the distance shooters up there are into it). He was down at core early December and was taking 950 yard shots. that surprised me because I was a better shot with the m sixteen than he was. He told me, it's a flat shooting round and easier to get into on the side of the mountain his cave is on.

Edit to add, he did mention it's a short action, which may play into it also.

Last edited:

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    long range challenge both bolt and gas gun... that is what the winners shoot.

There were clearly 4 favorites among the top 100 shooters. These 4 cartridges represent 80% of the shooters who finished in the top 100!
    1.6.5×47 Lapua
    2.6mm Creedmoor
    3.6.5 Creedmoor
    4.6×47 Lapua

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Same bullets at the approximate same speed . . . . must be the accuracy obtainable with certain powders at certain case capacity.
    Wondering why no WSSM's either. Short powder column equals accuracy . . . or so sez the PPC's. --- SAWMAN

xenscott

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Basically a short action 6.5 Swedish. I know some people who love that round.
    It was another 308 based wildcat that really caught on with the distance shooters.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Creedmoor has not gained popularity because of its trajectory. Long range shooting has come along way in the past 5 years and the timing of its introduction could not have been better. The .260 is a great option but its 20 degree shoulder has its draw backs. The Hornady brass that is used is .60/case compared to $1.00/case for its rival from Lapua. It is a low recoil round with the 140 grain bullet compared to the 175 grain .308. Keep in mind most long range tactical style matches have round counts of 200+ for a weekend. Also it is much flatter than the .308 and is about 50% more wind resistant. the Creedmoor has better barrel life than the .260 and its 30 degree shoulder allows you to go 2-3 firings without having to trim. The 6mm Creedmoor has been around as a wildcat for the pst 4 years. It too has a 30 degree shoulder which in theory gives it better barrel life than the .243 and less stretch on the brass. It is one flat shooter with the 105 Berger Hybrids with even less recoil than the 6.5. I have seen guys shoot the 7mm-08 in PRS style matches but it would be a better option for killing game than killing steel on the weekend. The .257 just lacks bullet options. If I am going to shoot a 115 grain bullet it will be out of a 6 creedmoor

snakeoil1227

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a 257 Weatherby 115 Noslar partition BST...in a custom Winchester 70....for deer hunting..kills like a bolt of lightning...! 40-400 yds....nothing better for me...was looking at the 6.5 ,but don't see an advantage....

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jhunter made some good points.

As mentioned earlier, it's the flavor of the month. It's supported by several large firearm and ammo manufacturers. You don't have to reload to have a decent round to shoot.

Nobody"needs" the 6.5 creedmoor but it's an option that's getting people into a new discipline and it's getting people to buy new gear.

Of course if we could only have stuff we "needed", my safe would be much smaller.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's access is why it's popular. A guy can find match grade factory ammo at a relatively affordable price point without much effort and it doesn't burn barrels as bad as .260Remington, 6.5Norma etc. or require reloading. Right now if a guy has $2000 he can buy a rifle, optic and some factory ammo; zero it and shoot to 1000 yards with relative ease. On 243 it doesn't fit AI mags COAL is slightly too long which are the standard for most precision rigs. It can be loaded to mag length, but doesn't always feed reliably without modifying the feed ramp. Many of the guys winning PRS events have moved on to 6cm and 6dasher for better barrel life and less recoil.
    For precision the advantage over 308 is drop and wind values are cut in half.

All that said, I'm shooting a 308 gasser and doubt I'll change since I just play for fun.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My conclusions - - - - - > The 6.5Creedmoor will not do anything that a bunch of similar offerings will do for 99.9% of the shooters out there. Some of the other bullets offered in .284" actually have as good,if not better, B.C. than the .264" bullets.
    The people that favor the 6CM as well as the 6.5CM will never use it for hunting. If they do,the distances will be <600yds and most any of the comparable chamberings will accomplish the same thing . . . cheaper,with availability of brass,and selection of the VLD bullets much greater than the .264" bullets.The people that actually will use the 6.5CM for hunting waaaaaay out their had better be concerned about the bullets makeup and the remaining energy on target at the extended ranges. Same with a 308Win or any other chambering. Now with the heavier bullets you will have more remaining momentum.
    This is not a condemnation of the RPR. I feel that the weapon is set up great. I like both the design and features that Ruger put into this gun. But for me to buy one i would need a better selection of chamberings,bbl lengths, and twist rates. For me . . . this gun would be long range TARGET only. I would probably like to see it in a AI or a WSSM chambering also. (For more tinkering fun.)
    The 6.5Creedmoor chambering is not for me. In either a bolt or gas gun. But with the 308Win sized bolt face and a rebarrel I could get interested in the RAR. Maybe someting just as simple as a 24" 308AI. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom