• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Had some 9mm 2.0s show up today. I've got a few in the black, no safety, 4.25" and fde, safety 5.0".

I'm hoping to try the 5.0 on Wed to see how it shoots but for now, some quick thoughts.

Comes packaged just like the 1.0

There's enough cosmetic differences that a person familiar with the 1.0 will have no trouble telling the 2 apart.

I'm liking the new stipling on the frame. If you've handled the shield in .45, it feels just like that.

The new med/lg back strap is a nice touch. I usually use the med on the 1.0 but I'm liking the feel of the slightly large back strap.

The trigger is much improved. Little to no grit, about 5.5-6# according to my cheap trigger gauge. Short reset with a much more tactile and audible reset. As mentioned already, it feels a lot like the PRO trigger. If you're used to the APEX, you're probably going to still want to put those in. It may smooth/loosen up with some shooting.

Besides the contours on the slide, it would appear the barrels/recoil assy are the same as the 1.0. I've tried swapping slides between the frames and they appear to work but the 2.0 slide won't lock back on a 1.0 frame. I don't care enough yet to try shooting mixed gen slides/frames yet. I'm sure there'll be some good youtube evidence shortly if there isn't already.

One of my 1.0 holsters works with the 2.0 gun but another doesn't without a lot of force. I may be able to make some minor adjustments to the holster to get the 2.0 to fit.

Out of the box, it looks like a nice pistol but 2.0 may be a little much... maybe M&P 1.5.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks for the insight sir. Look forward to the "shooting" review.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does it look like you can modify the slide stop detent? I liked the fact the first gen would slam the slide forward if you seated a mag hard enough. I have heard thats what that detent is for anyway...

xenscott

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Would have been nice to have a flat apex like trigger instead of the rounded one. I hate that trigger.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Does it look like you can modify the slide stop detent? I liked the fact the first gen would slam the slide forward if you seated a mag hard enough. I have heard thats what that detent is for anyway...

Not without some extensive work. I can't find anything definitive on the new "button" in front of the slide stop but it looks like it's going to make the mag slam/slide drop much harder to do. The engagement is a little more pronounced as well.

I've not had time to break one down yet but should be able to hit the range tomorrow morning.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I put a couple hundred rounds through the 5".

I don't have an original m&p in the 5" so it's not an apple to apples.

The new texture can feel rough at times but I didn't notice it during shooting and it sticks a lot better than the old grip. I've got the Apex triggers in my old 1.0s and don't have much time with the stock hinged trigger. Not a big fan. The bottom of the curve dug into my finger some. The rest of the trigger (pull, reset, etc) was pretty good and did seem to get better with some break in. Again, if you like your Apex, you'll probably still want one.

I didn't put it on paper but at 25yds, the gun would have no problem hitting a clay if I did my part. The ammo/sights combo resulted in a shot through at 25yds.

The new slide stop is just that. It can work as a slide release but it's stiff. That's because of the new doodad in front of the stop lever. Best I can tell is that it's a spring to help put tension on the stop. It holds the stop in the up position but seems to assist the stop going down when you sling shot the slide. I think the days of the mag slam/slide drop are over with the 2.0... At least without modification.

Overall, I think it's an improvement over the stock 1.0. If you've got a modded 1.0 that your happy with I don't think you'll see much benefit in transitioning to the 2.0. BUT, I think once the pricing settles down that these will be a great option out of the box with an already robust aftermarket for sights, parts, etc.

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shot 400 rounds between an original Pro and a M2.0 today.

The Pro is a new manufacture, I got it a week before the M2.0 was announced. As best as I can tell the magazines are exactly the same between the two. Comparing them with some that I got in 2013 the only difference I could see is a font change on the "9mm" stamp.

Slides/lowers are proprietary, you can not swap them. Back straps swap between models. Barrels fit but I did not try to fire. Sights fit. I didn't try anything else yet.

The Comp-Tac holster I used today worked but was not a 100% fit. I've tried to determine where the dimensions have changed and I believe it is around the front of the grip/behind trigger area, again not 100%. Im gonna try to dust it with something and see where it rubs off to be certain. I have a Raven holster that I've misplaced, will report back on that when I come across it.

I'm used to the slide closing itself when slamming a mag in hard enough and the M2.0 would not do it for me. Because I was so used to it, I did find myself forgetting to send the slide forward after loading a fresh mag unfortunately. My Shield will not do it either. I knew that was a concern when transitioning between other pistol manufacturers so maybe it is for the best they added that extra detent to the mag release.

I love the new texture but after 400 rounds with the rough backstraps my palm is a little sore (Pro's come w/textured backstraps also). I will probably knock down the grit a little bit on the backstrap and leave the rest of the pistol untouched. I found that if I draw the pistol without a perfect grip it was easier to adjust with a smoother backstrap even with the textured front. The new Medium/Large backstrap is perfect for me! Great addition.

The take up/break/reset on M2.0 trigger and the Pro are so close for me I cannot tell if there was difference but it is a lighter and smoother pull. Which makes it feel a bit better to me. Both are leagues better then my first M&P.

As for accuracy, I suck, so take Nate for his word. I believe he's a trustworthy guy. :hail:

Top Bottom