• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThomasPI

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Working on putting together a new Dillon package. Kind of hung up on the scale thing.I look at one site and great views on any given scale and then go to another and same scale is not so much liked. Big shocker LOL. I've been told that in general I'd need to spend upwards of $150 for a reliable and repeatable digital scale and I'm good with that IF that's a reasonably true statement. With all that being said, what are y'all using for digital scales that have proven to be reliable and repeatable?

Thanks !

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For general handgun reloading and plinking rifle rounds, you can spend $30ish on the Hornady digital scale and be perfectly fine. If you want to reload precision rifle ammo, I'd look into a GemPro scale.

I've still go my Hornady scale, but I use my RCBS Chargemaster 95% of the time, because it's always on my bench.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't reload but I use a digital scale for mixing epoxies and model building. I have to be accurate on the epoxy mixes to .1 gram. Had a $200 scale for years. It broke so I bought one at Harbor Freight for about $8.00. My dad gave me a set of scale calibration weights that he used in the lab to check that scale occasionally and it's now 5 years old and 100% accurate. Those calibration weights are so precise that you can't touch them with your fingers. So, I would try one of those if they work handling powder.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been using a RCBS Range Master, around a hundred bucks and has worked for years. It's good to also have a beam scale to check the accuracy of the digital now and then. Actually I'd get a beam scale first.

Rick

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    RCBS 505 beam scale is what I use now and when loading plinking ammo for a pistol I only check every tenth round once I get the Lee powder measure set but for rifle ammo I check every round.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I loaded with a beam scale for 40 years before I went electronic. I'll never look back. With electronic scales just let them warm up for 20 minutes, use check weights to verify calibration, then load away.

ThomasPI

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks, am I better off with just a scale or something like the RCBS Chargemaster where it'll dispense the load for setting up the 650? Yes, brand new at this stuff lol.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks, am I better off with just a scale or something like the RCBS Chargemaster where it'll dispense the load for setting up the 650? Yes, brand new at this stuff lol.

I love my Chargemaster and I believe it's worth every penny; however, I don't use it very often anymore. I used to use it for precision rifle loads (and even plinking loads when I was loading on my turret press) and now it has become an extremely valuable tool to help work up new loads. It's so easy to just punch in a number and automatically dispense 10 charges at each weight, rather than trickling powder in the pan for every charge. That being said, it's not cheap.

As with most everything in reloading, it comes down to you determining how much your time is worth.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love my Chargemaster for hunting or other rifle loads where I want more accuracy and I'm loading on a single stage press. For my everyday plinking or practice loads on the 650 I have no use for the dispenser although I do use the scale to setup or check. You can buy the Chargemaster scale alone then if you decide you want the dispenser down the road you can add it. They just snap together.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I love my Chargemaster for hunting or other rifle loads where I want more accuracy and I'm loading on a single stage press. For my everyday plinking or practice loads on the 650 I have no use for the dispenser although I do use the scale to setup or check. You can buy the Chargemaster scale alone then if you decide you want the dispenser down the road you can add it. They just snap together.

Didn't know that Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThomasPI

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Thanks very much. It's between the Dillon and the RCBS at this point and unsure.

Top Bottom