• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    There was a limited run on these guns some time ago but Ruger will have these in their catalog in 2017.
    Ruger American chambered in 450Bushmaster (.452" bore). The rifle will have a 16" bbl. Three shot detachable mag. OAL will be 36". Weight will be 5.5lbs. The LOP will be 13.75". Rugers mod # will be 16950. It will not have sights but will come with a scope base installed. It will have the excellent trigger that has come on all Ruger American and Ruger American Ranch (300BLK) guns. The catalog price will be $599.
    This could be the closer range hog thumper that you have been looking for. This chambering has been around for some time now so brass and loading info is plentiful. There are also some excellent .452" pistol bullets available that should hold together at the higher vels of the longer bbl. The Barnes solids and Hornady XTP's come to mind.
    Who's gonna be the first on the forum to own one ?? ---SAWMAN

Attachments

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      9.3 KB · Views: 376
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      11.4 KB · Views: 554
    Last edited:

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Looks like a hog roller. Great HvyDty caliber, and ammo not too expensive.
    Congrats!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Although I have never had any problem with my 3,I really do not like the design of the Ruger American/Ranch rifle magazines. The rotary part is great but to get the round lined up perfect to be shoved in is a somewhat PITA. ESPECIALLY when you are used to AR type mags.
    For me .... the best that Ruger could have done is use a MagPul. Seeing that I am not a fan of hi-cap bolt gun mags,even a three shot mag for this gun would be good.
    I believe that this gun would have been better off with 18 inches of bbl using the same comp. (Wondering if it REALLY works ??) But at <6lbs,and using the loads that could damage the AR type actions I'm wondering about the level of recoil. All in all,it still will not come close to a 45-70,444Marlin,or even a well loaded 454Casull.
    The owners of this chambering used in their AR's could not use exceptionally light or heavy loads. Having this in a bolt gun could open up a ton of possibilities.
    Not sure (for me) if this will turn into a "gotta have" gun . . . however . . . am slowly talking myself into it. ---SAWMAN

Last edited:

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What will we see next, think they will come out with the old (PUNK) gun, not sure if that is the way it is spelled. I know Stantley Would get one of them. Just my 5 cents jj

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    To me . . . the 460S&W mag would have been a better choice. It is a true high pressure (65,000psi) chambering and will quite easily produce more power. A little longer case could have been a problem I suppose. ---SAWMAN

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    What will we see next, think they will come out with the old (PUNK) gun, not sure if that is the way it is spelled. I know Stantley Would get one of them. Just my 5 cents jj

Think that you may mean "Punt" gun JJ, one of those huge shotguns commercial hunters used around the turn of the last century:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pun...rome..69i57.2080j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Bigger caliber guns seem to be the trend, but I will stick to the old tried and true calibers; .45s, 30-30, or 7.62x39 for in close and mid-range, and .30-06 for my LR reach.

Besides, I am too cheap to spring for any new calibers now! LOL

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You got a choice now. 450Bushmaster. I believe that I would stick to the bolt gun.
    Can't believe some of the more adventuresome of the bunch doesn't have one of these yet.
    Me . . . . I already have a 500S&W Mag rifle? ---- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 21304.jpg
      21304.jpg
      11.2 KB · Views: 216

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Will quite easily kill a catfish at the bottom of the hole at the mouth of Burnt Cypress. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom