• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Took my thermal with me when I went to feed the goats about 15 minutes before sunset. As I was walking out the door I heard much gunfire. It was coming from the property to the east of the field the deer come to about 175yd away. The people that own that property allow a couple of friends to come out and practice their 3-gun stuff. While I don't have hunting permission there (never asked), the owner (doesn't live there) did tell me I can shoot and drive my side by side there with the grand kids (we go over the day after hearing shooting and get the empties they leave).

Shucks or words to that effect, gunfire and people noise will scare the deer. I watched the field via thermal and found the deer back in the woods at the edge of the field. One brave deer came out and a couple of minutes later the other 5 came out. The gunfire didn't seem to bother them. Note: Within the 175yd from the deer to the shooters are 2 strips of woods, each about 25yd wide separated by a strip of open area about 50yd wide. Looking through thermal at deer 200yd away, I couldn't tell if Big Doe was there, only that there were big deer and smaller deer.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Yesterday afternoon, Big Doe with 5 other deer. Legal to take a doe then, but I didn't go out. Will try New Year's weekend. Note the deer on the far left...it's eating grass very close to where the doe I took yesterday fell with some bleeding there.

HUNT0086.JPG

Attachments

• HUNT0086.JPG
      HUNT0086.JPG
      366.3 KB · Views: 184

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If you don't mind me asking where about are you located? Hwy87, 399, or Milton, Jay area?

Off of Hwy 87 5 miles north of Whiting Field. Neighbors to the east and west don't hunt. Neighbor north across the road hunts deer about 1-2 days per year. Farmer neighbor to my south hunts deer (grandfather, son and grandson) (they also get deer depredation permits due to crop damage, but don't often use the permits as they are too busy farming). As best I can tell, the deer I'm seeing come to a cleared area from the north, east, and south.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Pic of a coyote in neighbor's field. Deer were out before and after the coyote.

HUNT0303.JPG HUNT0304.JPG

Attachments

• HUNT0303.JPG
      HUNT0303.JPG
      166.6 KB · Views: 169
    • HUNT0304.JPG
      HUNT0304.JPG
      170.4 KB · Views: 167

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I thought today's pic was different than normal.

HUNT0103.JPG

Attachments

• HUNT0103.JPG
      HUNT0103.JPG
      526.2 KB · Views: 172

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The nice looking 8 pt was out last night.

HUNT0239.JPG

Attachments

• HUNT0239.JPG
      HUNT0239.JPG
      138.7 KB · Views: 140

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So looks like you can use your FLIR to hunt more than hogs. Cool

Of course it has to be legal shooting hours for deer. Half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset. Realistically, it's 15-20 minutes before sunrise to 15-20 minutes after sunset so you have enough visibility to ID the sex and aim using unaided eyesight. I have thought of also carrying the FLIR equipped rifle, especially in the late afternoon if it's a doe day. Sure like to see that buck in daylight.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Unlike a NVD a thermal can be used in the middle of the day,in bright sunlight. It sees heat and does not amplify light.
    I have contacted FWC twice in the past,and asked: Can I take my rifle,with mounted thermal sight hunting deer in the afternoon. Can I use it to shoot deer right up to 1/2 hour after sunset. Then can I continue to hunt hogs and coyotes ONLY after the 1/2 hour past sunset. ( ????? )
    I have received no response from them,either time. My feelings are . . . FWC has never even thought about hunters using a thermal sight to hunt deer during the normal/legal times. It is all new to thrm. They know/understand that a NVD cannot be used in times if ambiant light. That's it . . that is all they know.
    Also wondering about the ATN X-Sight. From what I have heard it can be used either as a day type sight during periods of daylight,then switched over to NV after darkness falls. Wondering if FWC has addressed these issues. ----SAWMAN

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    HUNT0030.JPG

A new buck showed up. Got several pics of him. Looks pretty good to me for a Florida 6 pt. He's more chunky than Big Doe. About 5' to the right in the pic is a container I carry corn in and forgot to pick up after I had changed game camera cards to other day. Got several pics of does smelling it. Have also started walking my dogs with me one at a time when I go to check the camera. From the pics, it hasn't bothered the deer. Of course today, one of the beagles decided to poop right in the middle of the area where deer come...will see how that goes on the next camera check.

Now that doe gun season is over, the does have started coming out in daylight again around 7 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon, including Big Doe. Bucks are still nocturnal, but with the rut coming, maybe that will change. I think I might take the goats out this afternoon and carry a rifle with me. The 8pt still shows up on camera.

Attachments

• HUNT0030.JPG
      HUNT0030.JPG
      131.8 KB · Views: 157

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Took the goats out and carried a rifle. Saw 3 yearlings and 2 mature does. They were more interested in the goats than me so I was able to raise my rifle and look without spooking them. They were still nervous and the 2 does left after a couple of minutes, with the yearlings leaving after another minute or so. No bucks.

Stayed until dark. I whistled for the goats to come, but when they came to me a couple snorted. I forgot to take off my camo face mask so they did not recognize me. I whipped off the mask, and all was good again.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    HUNT0416.JPG HUNT0417.JPG HUNT0418.JPG

When I checked the camera, one of the mature does I saw the other day was really a buck with very small spikes. Thought I'd post the sequence of photos as he first looked towards me and the goats with his tail raised. 2 seconds later he almost has it down. 2 more seconds and the tail is all the way down. The yearling beside him eating is oblivious.

Attachments

• HUNT0416.JPG
      HUNT0416.JPG
      289 KB · Views: 139
    • HUNT0417.JPG
      HUNT0417.JPG
      288.9 KB · Views: 139
    • HUNT0418.JPG
      HUNT0418.JPG
      286.5 KB · Views: 138

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    My goats hate rain!

Continue to get pics of deer, but bucks do not come out in daylight. 3 spikes, 1 cowhorn, 1 4pt, 2 6pts, 1 8pt.

Top Bottom