• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Decided to put out a camera to see if any shooter bucks and when the does come out. No shooter/legal bucks, only small racks and that's at night. During daylight times, does and yearlings most often come out around 7am, noon, and shortly before sunset. One day they were also out about 9am. I never knew they were out so often. I've never taken the goats over in the mornings.

HUNT5446.JPG
    HUNT5804.JPG
    HUNT5385.JPG

Attachments

• HUNT5446.JPG
      HUNT5446.JPG
      358.5 KB · Views: 368
    • HUNT5804.JPG
      HUNT5804.JPG
      276.3 KB · Views: 363
    • HUNT5385.JPG
      HUNT5385.JPG
      566.9 KB · Views: 383

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow, thanks, this is the only deer I have been able to see lol thanks !!!!! Haven't been able to go, daughter broke both her wrists so !!!!! Bad weather out now, thanks !!!!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have gotten 100's of pics in the week the camera has been put out. I look for bucks and then delete. I think the most deer in any pic was six. The older the doe, the more likely their head is up looking around. I found a new deer trail going from my neighbor's woods across the road through my property and then into the property where I take the goats.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Do you have little,orange,slip on vests for them goatz ?? Better have. Somebody shot a donkey over my way. ---SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    HUNT5817.JPG

I mentioned the lack of bucks. Heres a button buck trying his best, but that doe may be too tall for him. Maybe I'll put out a step stool for him.

Attachments

• HUNT5817.JPG
      HUNT5817.JPG
      309.6 KB · Views: 436

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    413 pics of deer in last 24 hours when I checked the camera a few minutes ago. As usual, deer were out at sunrise, noon, and sunset. One buck that looked possibly legal, but out at night.

HUNT6175.JPG

Whats with the "bumps" that this noon time doe appears to have under her hide?

HUNT6283.JPG

Attachments

• HUNT6175.JPG
      HUNT6175.JPG
      199.3 KB · Views: 308
    • HUNT6283.JPG
      HUNT6283.JPG
      547.9 KB · Views: 320

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    View attachment 49860

I mentioned the lack of bucks. Heres a button buck trying his best, but that doe may be too tall for him. Maybe I'll put out a step stool for him.

reminds me of the signs at fairs, : you have to be this big to ride this ride....:laugh:

my little dog, half miniature weenie dog, half chiwawa trys to get my black lab knocked up, but he is too little, and when she lays down, the angle for the approach is off...makes me laugh, makes him frustrated....

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Can you just take a couple of the goats on a leash over there and sit in a lawn chair...Perfect decoys and the deer will not ever see you.

My goats are free reign when outside my fenced pasture...they see me as the leader and stay in the vicinity. Goats have a very strong herd instinct. It does take a new goat a few weeks to become part of the herd. Actually, I find it kinda amazing. Goats can outrun and dodge a person trying to catch them, yet they do not runaway. If they see a dog they do not know with no fence between them and the dog, I've seen them get in a semi-circle with their horns facing out towards the threat. They can be scared by low flying aircraft and will run to get into the woods or under a tree or if a low flying buzzard casts a shadow on them. Our 5 dogs have all been butted by the goats and know to keep a safe distance.

Is a goat a "live decoy" in Florida? Must a "live decoy" be of the same species as the game animal? (Florida law doesn't specify; I looked up the actual law. I wrote FWC to be sure, and FWC did not answer...I guess they are still rolling on the floor in laughter.) Now if I have the goat herd out browsing, and I've been doing it for years in that area, and I have a gun (to protect them from feral dogs or coyotes), and I see a deer, and it's deer season, is that OK? I will say the deer and goats have kept a distance from each other. Even the yearling deer won't come near the goats.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    well they will calm the deer and also gain their attention rather than you not really a decoy. You are not there deer hunting but goat herding so I would shoot the deer. I have thought about releasing goats on the lease to eat all the forage down then killing them for meat after they did their job?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sorry I'm not getting great buck pics to post. The 6 pt once again came out in the dark. Saw a "cow horn" after dark; hadn't seen him before. Here's a group of 4 from yesterday. Spike buck in the back.

My neighbor's property has an open area where they were going to build a house (bought a house already built elsewhere) with woods on 3 sides. The 4th side is my property line with a fence for the goats. They told me that I have the "run" of the property, have permission to hunt and drive my side-by-side there with my grand kids, and want me to take goats there to keep down the growth so they don't have to mow and to keep an eye on it. I also answer some questions from possible buyers and show them around. It's only 3.5 acres. It in turn is surrounded by more woods where no one lives or has a house/building. The camera is on a small pine tree aimed at the northeast corner of the open area where i've seen deer appear.

Two known trespassers in 8 years: One dumped a few truck tires just off the road; one drove a pickup into the open area, saw me with the goats and backed outa there real quick when they saw me (I was just gonna say hello and ask if I could help, figured at first they were looking at the for sale property). I bought 2.5 acres from the owners, but didn't have the $ to buy the rest.

HUNT1062.JPG

Pic of the cow horn (I believe that's what it's called).

HUNT1158.JPG

Attachments

• HUNT1062.JPG
      HUNT1062.JPG
      567.7 KB · Views: 322
    • HUNT1158.JPG
      HUNT1158.JPG
      258.6 KB · Views: 315
    Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    HUNT0004.JPG HUNT0005.JPG

No pics of bucks. This doe came out yesterday afternoon earlier the ever before.

Decided to put up a ground blind off to the left in the woods...may decide to try for another deer. While putting it up at 2pm I heard a snort and the noise of a deer running off...again, earlier than before. I'll see if the ground blind bothers the deer.

I fed my goats at sunset yesterday and decided to experiment with the deer, pondering if I could see to shoot from farther away. It was about 15 minutes after sunset. I got out the thermal and kept to the far west side of the goat pasture. There are rows of pine trees, but looking between them I can see the neighbor's field. It's about 100yd from where I was to the east fence line and about another 100yd to where the deer pics are taken. I couldn't see any deer with my eyesight at that time. With the thermal I could see 3 deer. 1 about 200yd away and 2 about 150yd away. As I moved sideways to get a better view, the large deer at 150yd spotted my movement and alarmed at me and ran about 50yd and stopped with some more trees between it and the small deer with it (thermal allowed me to spot them between trees). Again, I could only see them with the thermal. Damn they have good eyesight! The 200yd deer didn't leave. My lead goat came over and she alerted on the 200yd deer...guess goats can see pretty well too.

My dogs began barking at something or each other playing. None of the 3 deer seemed bothered by that noise; if they live in the vicinity they've heard barking dogs all their life.

Attachments

• HUNT0004.JPG
      HUNT0004.JPG
      595.7 KB · Views: 324
    • HUNT0005.JPG
      HUNT0005.JPG
      596.9 KB · Views: 332

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Took binoculars out to the west edge of my goat pasture while feeding the goats. Right at sunset a mature doe came out. It was followed in about 2 minutes by a big doe that seemed to tower over the first one (binoculars and scopes can make deer larger than life to me). The BIG doe kept staring at the direction where the blind was put up. She'd stomp her front feet trying to make the strange object in her woods move (I heard a deer blow, but don't know if it was her). This kept her distracted from seeing me. Finally she started walking towards the blind and went out of my sight (I can't see the blind from where I was standing due to trees and brush). As she left out of sight, 5 more does appeared (3 big, one medium, and one yearling). All but the yearling mainly stared in the direction of the blind or maybe they were watching the big doe. About a minute later the BIG doe came back walking like she was sneaking along with her ears back and her head and neck down, held level with her back. Since all the deer were preoccupied, I decided I'd better slowly move away so as to not scare them.

Hope the big doe walked in front of the camera. Oh, my lead goat again alerted to the deer about 200yd away. This is fun.

I'll try and put some branches on the blind tomorrow to better obscure it.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    HUNT0017.JPG

Here's the big doe staring at the ground blind. From the tracks in a bare spot of earth near the blind, it appears she walked to within about 20' of the blind. Camera didn't get a pic of her slinking back. I went ahead and opened the shooting window a few inches so they get used to seeing that. Put some branches on and around the blind to better break up the outline. The 6 pt showed up at 00:29 this morning.

Couple of more does staring at the blind.

HUNT0031.JPG

Attachments

• HUNT0017.JPG
      HUNT0017.JPG
      479.5 KB · Views: 371
    • HUNT0031.JPG
      HUNT0031.JPG
      321.2 KB · Views: 259
    Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    HUNT0414.JPG

Nice doe walked by at 09:48 this morning, but Big Doe only came out at 05:28.

HUNT0248.JPG

Attachments

• HUNT0414.JPG
      HUNT0414.JPG
      567 KB · Views: 335
    • HUNT0248.JPG
      HUNT0248.JPG
      173.4 KB · Views: 231

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Big Doe came out again about the same time yesterday from the same direction and looked at the blind, but this time she did a little eating. I may not go out Saturday morning, but will get in the blind about 3pm and see if she shows.

HUNT0225.JPG

A new buck appeared, but only a 3 pt as best I can tell. Again, at night.

HUNT0321.JPG

Attachments

• HUNT0225.JPG
      HUNT0225.JPG
      243.4 KB · Views: 231
    • HUNT0321.JPG
      HUNT0321.JPG
      185.2 KB · Views: 222

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom