• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huntinman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does anyone have any experience replacing a pic rail gas block with a low profile gas block? I would like to install a new free floating hand guard on my rifle and will need to replace my gas block in order for that to happen. Are there any tricks I should know about? It seems fairly straight forward.

Is there a certain low profile gas block manufacture I should stay away from? Is there a particular manufacture that makes exceptional replacements? What are the pros and cons regarding aftermarket gas blocks?

I am not concerned with an adjustable gas block, recoil is not an issue. I just want something that is going to perform day in and day out. However, I am unaware as to whether I need an adjustable block.

I should also mention that the stock pic rail gas block that I currently have on my rifle is the type that uses two small allen key set screws on the underside of the barrel. Ideally, I would like to stick with that style considering my barrel is made for that particular setup.

Thanks for your input.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    No Dorian tricks. Your current gas block should come off when you loosen the screws you mentioned.

Lopro gas blocks are pretty simple you should be able to find one between $20-30. I'm not sure there's any benefit for paying over that unless you just like the logo, design etc more than a vanilla gas block.

huntinman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How would I go about dimpling the barrel? And how would I know for sure where the set screws touch the factory set screw indentations?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Drill press.
    Your new screw will make a mark which may or may not match up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    YouTube has been a great help to me. If I were marking my barrel for a new gas block I would color the existing marks with a sharpie to make sure I know which are new.

huntinman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree. Steel is the way to go when speaking of replacement gas blocks. Unfortunately, my local tactical store had nothing in a .750 in a steel gas block. Thanks to each and everyone of you for the comments provided. I will besure to keep this thread up-to-date on the improvements on the improvements of my rifle.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'll be happy to give you some Rocksett. PM me if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does anyone have any experience replacing a pic rail gas block with a low profile gas block? I would like to install a new free floating hand guard on my rifle and will need to replace my gas block in order for that to happen. Are there any tricks I should know about? .......... snip........

I did exactly this on my AR a few months back. As others have pointed out, the procedure is pretty easy except for one thing. I had a devil of a time finding out the true ID of the various free floating hand guards as well as the actual height of the many gas blocks called "low profile". Hours of careful research still produced a less than perfect marriage and I had to do a bit of grinding to set things right. Other than that, no worries.

Top Bottom