• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Let me start by saying I know very little about scopes in general and zero about how they work internally. Why have I not seen something like a 1-6x 40 or 50 scope? Is there some reason that it is not physically possible? I think the 1-6 would work great for the AR platform and the large reticle would be better for gathering light for low light hog hunting.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Objective.... large objective. The reticle is the crosshair.

Light gathering abilities in my opinion are minimal between 40mm and 50mm, particularly in a 1" tube. Though the field of view you get with a 50mm objective is damn fine.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Think you mean objective. Forward most lens on the scope?

I've not been able to find an easy answer but some of the answers concern weight/size. There's physics behind the light gathered by a larger objective and what can be used by the eye. Low magnifications don't need a big objective to be clear/bright. Some of the brightness is dependent on the quality of the glass not just the size of the objective. There's trade offs, are you going to design your variable power scope to be used more on the lower end or the high end?

Some of the more tech/optics savvy guys can probably give you a better answer.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks guys, I did mean objective. I just got a 3-9x50 Vortex crossfire with V-Brite reticle but I think I would like a 1-6x50 better. Maybe it is not needed as Nate said. I also wanted just the plain lighted dot and not spend over $300 so that limits me also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom