• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    little bird on my shoulder is whispering you "need" a 6.5 Creedmoor. so the questions are. is the basic ar10 308 the same thing , change barrel and mags? is a bcg change also? any input would be great. usually takes me 6 months to go from concept-----multiple "brown Santa" trips to a finished project.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Barrel swap.

Same bcg, mags etc. Personally, unless you just need another upper or are looking for a slightly flatter shooting round, I ( just my opinion) don't see much benefit over 308.

BUT,. If you're interested I can get you aero precision uppers or ballistic advantage barrels in 6.5

Edit:. Not judging. I've got 5 different caliber uppers for my AR just because.

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What he ^^^^ said. Unless you're shooting beyond 600 you won't see the real benefit of 6.5cm. It's significantly flatter from 600-1000, 29' of drop on 308 vs. 20' of drop on the 6.5. The other benefit is crosswind deflection.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    well you both hit the nail on the head. I want to compete in the core 2 gun series starting this spring. yes out to 800 yards. looks very much like the OCSO benefit we shot last month. run shoot, climb shoot etc. etc.. I really enjoyed that style of match. I have an ar 223 wylde. 18.8 / 1 in 7 likes 62`s well and good to 600, built just for this kind of competition. IMO 600yrds is the limit 600 to 800 is a crap shoot, unless you can exceed the oal past mag capacity with 80 plus Berger's. So it looks like if I want to "gas gun" out this far. I may need to build a Creedmoor. thank you for the input. Nate as I start deciding on components. I will give you a holler. anyboby shooting one ? please chime in on barrel selection thx.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My 6.5 Creedmore AR with a 22 inch Mega barrel, has less recoil than my 308. Is that a plus. Also It's 6.5 so it's better than 308.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    well you both hit the nail on the head. I want to compete in the core 2 gun series starting this spring. yes out to 800 yards. looks very much like the OCSO benefit we shot last month. run shoot, climb shoot etc. etc.. I really enjoyed that style of match. I have an ar 223 wylde. 18.8 / 1 in 7 likes 62`s well and good to 600, built just for this kind of competition. IMO 600yrds is the limit 600 to 800 is a crap shoot, unless you can exceed the oal past mag capacity with 80 plus Berger's. So it looks like if I want to "gas gun" out this far. I may need to build a Creedmoor. thank you for the input. Nate as I start deciding on components. I will give you a holler. anyboby shooting one ? please chime in on barrel selection thx.

Gotca, I just bought an 18" 308 barrel for my MWS hoping to do the same thing. I've hit at 940 wit my 16" CL barrel, but a 18" 5r rifled stainless will make it easier. I have too much 308 brass to think about going to 6.5................well I thought about it and decided against it. Nice thing about the MWS is I can always swap on a 6.5 barrel later if I want for less than building a new upper. I suppose I could reform 308 brass, but don't know if I want that much work.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out the new Nosler 70 grain .224 bullet. It has a advertised G1 BC of .416 I also have had good luck with the Sierra 77 grain TMK at 2.250 OAL. Both should keep you around 2 MOA at 800yds and would be much cheaper than a 6.5 build.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    thanks jhunter. it didn't really like 75 hornady. but I have only tried them at 150. may stabilize further out. @ 150 with 62 grain surplus green tips a quarter will cover 10 shots. 55 grain about 1.5 inches. was looking for something at 69 grain. the nosler 70 may be the ticket. THX for the input.

Duelist

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I just built a 6.5 Creedmoor on Aero Precision upper and lower. It is a very nice addition and easy to build. Haven't had time to go beyond 200 yds yet, but it is very accurate at that distance. I got it to reach out further than a 308. Nate got me a 22 inch barrel from Rainier. Nice thing about building your own rifle is that you can always change barrels later and everything else will work. Midway has Hornady 129 gr. 6.5 loaded ammo for $20 box if you get $150 worth for free shipping. I plan on using factory until I have built up some brass. Mags are cheap, by Magpul or DPMS style. Nate had everything I needed to put together the rifle. Good luck with your build.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When loading for my 6.5CM gas gun, I hit high pressure signs long before reaching the cartridges full potential. While GREAT in a bolt gun, you're not going to get the same from a gasser... for the most part.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom