• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NavyCTRC

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All,

I have been lurking for awhile, this is my first post. There is a bunch of information on this forum, really liking it so far. My question is which range gives the best value for the money? From the websites, SRSC is way more expensive, seems they charge a membership fee and a fee to shoot for the day? Maybe there is some aspects that make that worth it? I am on the West side of Pcola, either range will be a bit of a trip, but we are likely moving in the next 6 months anyway. The wife and I will both use the range, she shoots more pistol, I shoot a mix of rifle and pistol. I like the idea of having at least one long range (400yds +) to attempt some longer range shooting. ERGC allows holstered shots, so that is a big plus to hone our cc skills. I realize there are folks loyal to both facilities, not trying to start a fight here, just some honest pro's and con's of each. We have been to the Pensacola indoor, didn't care for the staff even though facility was decent. We have been several times out to styx river, which is decent but way too crowded on the weekends. I am going to do drive-by's on both ranges this weekend, but I also need some honest opinions. Thanks in advance, appreciate your help.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I've been a member of ERGC for awhile and have shot at SRSC a few times. It really depends on what you want out of your range. The selling points for me on ERGC was being able to draw from the holster, set up an array of targets how I want, and shoot steel. They also host shooting disciplines like IDPA and cowboy action. When I first started shooting I didn't mind the static range but after shooting here it's hard to shoot anywhere else, close to Pcola anyway.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The lack of anything past ~140yds is the biggest downside for ERGC. I don't do shotgun and in my mind that's the biggest benefit for SRSC.

ERGC has memberships that aren't for a full year. You and your wife will be covered under the one membership for the one fee. Depending on when you go, you can have a whole range to your self and you've got a lot more freedom at ERGC.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    You mean the staff wasn't polite or helpful at the indoor range? Let me guess, bald fat guy? Hmmm... lol

I went to SR for years and I was happy popping away. I do like that the stands are already there and you just staple your target and go.
    Since I started competing, I am now a member at ERGC. I like being able to run drills and having the freedom to do what I want. The whole bring your own stand thing does bug me though, but that's just me.
    I loosely that say if you're going to shoot roughly more than once every couple of months, go ahead and join ERGC, and buy a couple of target stands. If not, SR is fine for the casual shooter.

Last edited:

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've said it many times, 1 hour at ERGC is equivalent to 3 hours at other public ranges. That's my opinion. There's not too much waiting around to "go cold" to fix targets. The folks at ERGC, both staff and shooters are super. All who join watch a video on the range rules and expectations. Although a video doesn't ensure competence, at least every member has had the same training in that segment. The RSOs rove and keep an eye out but don't hover. They might stop by to chat for a few minutes and get to know you. I shoot at other ranges occasionally and have no problems. ERGC is just the best for me.

pcolapaddler

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SRSC has nice facilities. Skeet and trap are available, if that is what you want. The cost is higher since you have a membership and usage fee. The folks I've talked to are friendly. I haven't shot there other than a hunter safety course and church sponsored skeet competition.

ERGC facilities have improved, the range has expanded. I understand a longer range rifle range is in the works. The cost is reasonable and covers family members. It isn't too hard to find an uncrowded spot and the folks have always been friendly. If you like to shoot competitively, there are several disciplines.

Full disclosure, I've been a ERGC member for several years.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Top Bottom