• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Recently picked up a CX4 Storm for my wife to use for HD purposes. My new Spitfire 1x came in as well and I plan on taking it to the range this weekend to get it dialed in. Question is, what distance should I zero at? 7 yds? 15? 25? I have a ranch style home and I'd say the longest shot inside the home would be 20 yards max. I know in a SD situation it will be point and shoot, but please enlighten me. Its a 9mm btw. :usa:

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    BTW, I LOVE the Spitfire so far. The etched reticle is super crisp and works wonders with my astigmatism. Doesnt look like the bursty blob that I get when I look through an Aimpoint, Eotech etc.. Cant comment on the durability yet but it feels solid

DGladden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have my HD rifle sighted for 25 yards. 20 yards is about the longest shot I could find in my house.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Remember that any scope/sight is "zero" at two different distances from the muzzle. That is,the bullet will be where the scope is looking at two different,and somewhat widely separated distances.
    This is much more critical given a high speed rifle chambering at the longer distances. Realistically your shots will be close (<50yds) and your targets (COM) will be huge. A human forehead would be the absolute smallest.
    Remember that if you zero for 15yds the bullet will still be low at 7yds and will be high at 25yds. BUT . . . this distance will be so damned small that IMO it really wont matter. A accurate sight in for right/left is more critical IMO. Off the top of my head,I would guess that the difference in POA vs POI would be less than 2 inches.
    Picture a man with a sport shirt on. In the "normal" 5 button style. Put the dot on the second button down. If you hit him a little high or low he most likely will not complain.
    NOW . . . . Lets argue about which ammo to use. ---SAWMAN

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    My 9mm is sighted at 25. I do NOT like 15.
    If I were you, I'd sight at 7 and confirm windage at 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think Dans Tables are for 115, 124 and 147grain projectiles. Results vary due to bullet B.C., velocity and barrel length for you specific configuration. I think its real easy to over think this issue. Fact: the closer your target the easier it is to hit. If you can hit a paper plate @ 100 meters, you can hit center mass at 7, 15 or 25. HD IMHO, encompasses the exterior through all clear fields of fire. Some may have other tools fo outside work but time and circumstance may not all it, you dance with who you brought to the prom. Prep for the longest and the close shots will be covered. The human form is a perfect targets: its average erect hight and width fall well within most if not all balistic varables at nominal distances. If you wish to thread the needle in a BG using a hostage shield, that is limited by the accuracy (and zero) of your gear, your skill with that gear and available CNS target area that will instantaneously stop the threat with one shot.

I recommend Maximum Point Blank Range from below link. 9mm: 2.1 high @ 25 yards makes you good out to 100 yards. Shoot and verify with your gear.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_trajectory_table.htm

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    115, with 3 different zeros.
    The speed of 115 out of a pistol should be close to heavier defensive loading a out of a carbine barrel.
    I like the idea of 100, but stick to 25, offset is a bitch. Lol

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What's the height over bore on your primary sight? As Sawman mentioned, your POI is most likely going to be low due to the bullet coming up to meet zero. Zeroing at a closer distance is going screw up the longer(relatively) shots. Unless you practice it a lot, I think you'll be surprised how far off a couple of inches can be ( insert penis joke).

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From the research I've been doing, Ima go with 25 yrds. Now what round to use .hmmmmm. I got a nice stockpile of HST 124gr. +P, Speer GD 124gr +P, and some Golden Sabre 124 gr. Guess I'll just see what she likes best

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    +P's will really take advantage of the extra barrel. I'd go HST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My post went with the OP that stated "HD purposes" and "20yds max". Unless I am missing something or possibly he lives on a farm where his wife could be shooting across some acreage,sight in would amount to . . . . #1. Pick the ammo you want to use . . . . #2. Sight it in at whatever range is convenient (6.4yds,11.3yds,23.6yds,etc,etc) . . . . #3. Practice weapon maneuverability, target acquisition, and use of controls . . . . and #5. Go kill some BG's.
    Given his posted usage,bullet weight,BC,sight height above bore line,etc, would (IMO)not make enough difference to give a second thought. ---SAWMAN

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Epilogue
    We make and prep for Plan A . BG's got their own Plan. If our plan is too narrowly focused, it could be bad juju. When dealing with a pistol caliber carbine, and you can maximize its potential to cover a broader range of scenarios: why handicap it? With a X1 optic, where do you need more accuracy at 25 or at 100. Drop @ 100 is 18 inches, much easier to compensate for +2 inches @ 25 (if you really need to, but thats smaller then your eye socket). A pistol caliber carbine only provides the advantages over a handgun you allow it to have.

Let us know how it runs.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My head is hurting, I want remember all of this in the morning. Can I just point and shoot. It has all was worked in the past. Just my 5 cents jj

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    jj, What distance did the guys carrying Garands,03Springfields,M1 carbines,and Thompson Sub Guns,sight them in at. How about the M3 Grease Guns and the Sterling sub guns ???
    Did they click up and down prior to an engagement ?? OR . . . If the guy with the Garand had to hit a BG at 300yds how many up clicks is that ?? ---SAWMAN

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Zero at whatever range you want. Regardless of where you zero it you will be within the height over bore offset at 20 yards unless you zero it for 20 yards or less. Even if you use a 50 yard zero on a 9mm carbine you will still be within the torso from 0 to 150 yards. albeit low in the torso at 150, but within the heart/lung region from 0-100. Don't overthink things.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Zero at whatever range you want. Regardless of where you zero it you will be within the height over bore offset at 20 yards unless you zero it for 20 yards or less. Even if you use a 50 yard zero on a 9mm carbine you will still be within the torso from 0 to 150 yards. albeit low in the torso at 150, but within the heart/lung region from 0-100. Don't overthink things.

Thank you.

Next we should discuss the offset for a laser on a pistol. :tongue: :smile:

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you.

Next we should discuss the offset for a laser on a pistol. :tongue: :smile:

How about the differences of it being mounted and zeroed above vs. below vs. left side vs. right side of the bore? :dance::ban:

Top Bottom