• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3154tm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i'm thinking about buying a couple of pistols from a guy in VA and i'm wondering what the ffl's fee might be. i guess that like transfers this could vary a lot. i'm hoping someone here has some experience buying from individuals out of state.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've bought and sold several guns to and from individuals out of state, but I'm a little confused as to what you're asking. Are you wanting to ship a gun through an FFL, or are you buying a gun that will be shipped to your FFL?

Edit: I just got back to a computer, so I'll type out some generalities.

Handguns can be shipped by an individual through UPS or FedEx using next day or overnight services (you'll have to check the respective websites for the specific services allowed). An FFL can ship handguns through the USPS Priority Mail, which is almost always cheaper than overnight through UPS or FedEx; however, an FFL will normally charge a fee on top of the actual shipping costs (the FFLs I've used charge $20 or less, depending on the circumstances).

If you're buying the handguns, then you're responsible for the FFL transfer fee when you go to pick it up. It's typically easier for the buyer to set a "shipped" price and let them figure out how much it is going to cost them to ship the firearm. If a seller wants you to pay for the shipping, you can use the estimate features on each carrier's website to figure out the approximate cost. Don't forget to factor in extra insurance.

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Talk to Nate (Little Jack's Guns on here).
    He has shipped and received several guns for me and always did me right.

3154tm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    sorry, i could have been a little clearer. the guy i'm buying from wants to use an ffl rather
    than ship the guns direct to my ffl. i'm trying to remember, depending on the what the ffl charges this can sometimes be cheaper since you don't have to do next day or over night. it might also be worth the fee to be able to talk to an ffl to verify the guns actually exist and are being shipped.
    depending on what he comes up with i may try and suggest he does it himself.
    wish this wasn't such a pita. you can ship person to person from key west to pensacola but not from foley.
    thanks.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    From my experience from using Little Jack's Guns(Nate) he would charge you $15 to transfer the gun to you. Now that does not include what the FFL in VA is going to charge or the cost of the shipping. I am not sure how Nate charges for multiple guns and of course the ffl in VA may charge a fee per gun vs just one fee. I did not read where you said long gun or handgun. I would bet the long gun shipping would be pretty pricey.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As a FFL I can ship handguns through the post office much cheaper than UPS/FedEx will charge a non licensee. I charge $10 plus the cost of shipping. Most(not all) handguns will fit in a medium flat rate box. Just about $15 with signature confirmation.

I'd wager my fees are on the low end. Not sure what other FFLs are doing for the service.

Top Bottom