• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    HUNT0094.JPG HUNT0095.JPG HUNT0096.JPG

Unfortunately, it doesn't show up with enough regularity to ask permission of the property owner to hunt it. This is the 2nd time it's been caught on camera in about 2 months. The pair of foxes, armadillos, possums, and coons do show regular. The yote looks huge compared to the gray foxes that come in to eat the bread and peanuts.

Attachments

• HUNT0094.JPG
      HUNT0094.JPG
      318.6 KB · Views: 354
    • HUNT0095.JPG
      HUNT0095.JPG
      319.6 KB · Views: 434
    • HUNT0096.JPG
      HUNT0096.JPG
      325 KB · Views: 368

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    OR . . . . . KI-YO-TEE as the people out west call them. No matter . . . . he/she needs to get shot.
    Any game biologist will tell you,there is never just one. --- SAWMAN

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Several years ago I was sitting in a 12' tripod, surrounded by camo burlap. I was watching a hillside covered in broom grass leading down to a creek bottom.
    Not 30 yards away, I saw something in the grass. It was just sitting there. At first I thought it was a fawn because it wasn't very big. Then I realized it was a coyote.
    I already had my rifle resting on the safety rail so I just looked thru the scope and pulled the trigger. When I recovered from the recoil I realized that he was gone.
    I got down and looked, no blood. There's no way I could've missed. All I can figure out is that he made me at the very last second and moved just enough to make me miss.
    Those things are wily as ..........uhhh...........a coyote.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Years ago I had an instructor tell me that when stalking (closeing the distance) on a human sentry,you NEVER look at him above the hips. This,because some people can "sense" it. Especially if you look at their back,back of neck,or back of the head. I'm sure that this statement was "unofficial " however given my instructors credentials,I took it as the gospel.
    Possibly (probably) yotes can sense a predators eyes on them in this same manner. In my years of stalking,calling,hunting these animals,I have seen and expieranced some things that defy logic. Call it the 6th sense if you will,this is just one reason why the coyote is such a prolific animal,living all around humans,and for the most part . . . never even being seen. --- SAWMAN

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We've got them at several of the Navy out lying fields. I fly a lot of NVGs and will occasionally see them wandering around. If they aren't moving, you have to know they're there to see them. Even on a high light night with some good goggles they blend extremely well. Usually easier to pick up when they're moving.

Had one today, out in the open just doing his thing. Broad daylight, by himself, for at least 30 minutes. We were able to get within 15-20yds of him before he'd back off the helicopter. I was really surprised he stuck around long as he did. We buzzed him several times before we left.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We've got them at several of the Navy out lying fields. I fly a lot of NVGs and will occasionally see them wandering around. If they aren't moving, you have to know they're there to see them. Even on a high light night with some good goggles they blend extremely well. Usually easier to pick up when they're moving.

Had one today, out in the open just doing his thing. Broad daylight, by himself, for at least 30 minutes. We were able to get within 15-20yds of him before he'd back off the helicopter. I was really surprised he stuck around long as he did. We buzzed him several times before we left.

Nate, I'm right down the street from OLF 8. I see them all the time in daylight. I've had them up my driveway. My dog alerts to them every night.

When we had Coastal Airport I would mow the runway sometimes in late afternoon. Down at the south end, away from the buildings those coyotes would come out and sun bath. I literally have driven a tractor with an 11' wing mower within 5' of them and they acted unconcerned. If I parked the tractor and came back with a pickup they would scatter. They absolutely know a tractor can't move fast but a truck can run them down. They're smart and they learn constantly. I started carrying at work because of them. I've been 10' away from a pack of 5 and they sized me up. That tractor didn't scare them one bit and it's every bit as obnoxious as a egg beater plus all those belts and blades spinning doesn't mean crap to them.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    "They're smart and learn constantly " is absolutely true. I also have come extremely close to them with a snomobile and even lumbering along the trail in a huge snow groomer pulling a massive drag. Also while driving a Clark 770 skidder and operating a tree harvester,dozer,and other equipment deep in the Maine woods. They are also inquisitive . . . that's how they learn. And IMO,once they have learned something,they never forget it. This includes safe areas,not so safe areas,speeds at which equipment moves,from which direction it comes and goes,the threat level of being around that machine as opposed to the benefit (of food or safety) of being a certain distance from it.
    Like with Sean cutting the airstrip,I used to kick coyote ass when the farmers were cutting the hay fields in central Maine. They would call me the day before. I would show up with my 24" AR chambered in 223Rem,and a bunch of 52gr SMK's. As they would cut ,it would expose the snakes,mice,bugs,and etc,that the yotes would love to feast on.
    They would come out 4+ at a time. If I shot one,I would just wait. Sooner or later another several would get brave. In some fields,from first light to noon,I would kill 4-8 coyotes.
    I would also hunt the huge farms that raised chickens. The moving conveyor under the rows of pens would carry eggs,some chicken parts,etc,and dump it to the outside of the bldg. A loader would carry all this waaaaay out back of the bldgs and dump it in a huge pile. It was like a buffet to the coyotes. I would set up about 150yds away,just inside the tree line,and shoot them when they were intent on digging for their meal.
    Great times then. Between me and my sports we were killing a couple hundred per year. PLUS . . . I was selling the pelts for $20- $35 each. Good money back in those days. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Several years ago I was sitting in a 12' tripod, surrounded by camo burlap. I was watching a hillside covered in broom grass leading down to a creek bottom.
    Not 30 yards away, I saw something in the grass. It was just sitting there. At first I thought it was a fawn because it wasn't very big. Then I realized it was a coyote.
    I already had my rifle resting on the safety rail so I just looked thru the scope and pulled the trigger. When I recovered from the recoil I realized that he was gone.
    I got down and looked, no blood. There's no way I could've missed. All I can figure out is that he made me at the very last second and moved just enough to make me miss.
    Those things are wily as ..........uhhh...........a coyote.

did you find a box that said: Acme early warning bullet detection kit...?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Ya know, I've been looking at that series of 3 coyote pics. I think he just stopped to pee in front of my camera...sorta like giving me the finger.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    "Strike a pose" in this case sez it all.
    I set up some game cams in Canada prior to a wolf hunt. I had about 15 pics over a period of several days,of a approximately 110lb male taking a piss (marking) the tree right in front of the cam. Several,as he was pissin' he was looking directly into the cam from about 10ft.
    Never even got a glimpse of him during my hunts. ---SAWMAN

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ya know, I've been looking at that series of 3 coyote pics. I think he just stopped to pee in front of my camera...sorta like giving me the finger.

We need to get some of those Calvin decals made up. Instead of the kid peeing it would be a coyote and he's direction the steam on the word "Bruce".

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Don't know about the word "Bruce", but the rest of the decal could "proudly" be displayed by unsuccessful yote hunters.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shoot where there is one there is more. I went out the other night and located 10 groups in about two hours...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Someone REALLY needs to come up with a decal as mentioned by Sean in his above. I need two of them right now. Before the excuses start to freely flow. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom