• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    I am looking for a good quality scope for an AR build I am doing and to be honest do not know my As# from a hole in the ground when it comes to optics. The most I've ever had on an AR is a red dot. All the powers and sizes make my head spin so was hoping I could get some advice from those of you who have experience. What power is to much? What power is not enough? What brands should I totally stay away from? Things like that. My AR is going to be 16" SS 1:7 twist barrel and plan on putting on 45% iron sight for close range so want a scope that I can use to reach out and touch someone but do not need to be able to hit a target from across town. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Thanks, I'll give it a read. As far as budget I guess id say in the neighborhood of $300 if thats possible but willing to bump up if its necessary. The more I understand Im sure will dictate my price range.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I can get the primary arms 1-6x with the acss reticle for $260. The ones I've looked through have been nice and cover a lot of bases at a good price.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'd go primary arms or vortex strike eagle for that price range.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can get the primary arms 1-6x with the acss reticle for $260. The ones I've looked through have been nice and cover a lot of bases at a good price.

I got one of these from Nate, waiting on the new Burris 1x8. mounted and shot it last week. 20 yrds to 150. at 1 power both eyes open no problem acquiring targets. 6 power was reasonable clear worked as advertised. when the Burris comes in I will keep it as backup.hope stretch it out a little, need to see if the 3 and 4 hundred yard hash marks are accurate. all in all the price=performance is excellent.

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    I got one of these from Nate, waiting on the new Burris 1x8. mounted and shot it last week. 20 yrds to 150. at 1 power both eyes open no problem acquiring targets. 6 power was reasonable clear worked as advertised. when the Burris comes in I will keep it as backup.hope stretch it out a little, need to see if the 3 and 4 hundred yard hash marks are accurate. all in all the price=performance is excellent.

Thanks for the input Bones!

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm contemplating selling my strike eagle, it sits in a 30mm vortex cantilever mount. The reticle is just a bit too busy for me.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    How would you guys compare the Vortex Strike Eagle to the Primary Arms 1-6x that Nate mentioned? I know the Vortex is more money but I heard they have a lifetime warranty. I will be using it plinking and shooting hogs in low light conditions so I need an illuminated reticle.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Vortex has a great warranty, not sure about PA. Not an expert, but wouldn't you want a bigger objective to allow more light to come into the scope for low light?

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the input Bones!

to add, used this in the OCSO benefit at core. scope preformed perfect. No problems ringing steel out to 300. no problems "finding targets" Got this from Nate. This is a decent ,entry level scope . Got this waiting on the new Burris 1 x 8 XTR II. shot the primary arms in the match and won not one but two 50% off certificates for the Burris!

Last edited:

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Vortex has a great warranty, not sure about PA. Not an expert, but wouldn't you want a bigger objective to allow more light to come into the scope for low light?

You may be correct about the low light aspect. Finding something with a lighted reticle and being a tight wad is not easy.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tom, I thought you got Nightforce certificates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No I put 20 $ on burris & 20$ on night force. Ordered the burris for this rifle but it was backordered. Also saving for the 12.42 Nightforce for my 300 rum So I played both. Botton line, I will spend about 1200 less between two scopes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom