• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My wife and I went to the club today to do some prep work for this coming deer season. We took our old beater riding mower that we use for the club and our DR walk behind bush hog.
    We cut the two plots that are about 3/4A each and some walking paths/game trails. Both plots have a creek/bottom just off the edge of them and while cutting down along the edge I saw some good dear sign and hog rooting.
    I will go to the CO-OP this coming week for a bbl of dry corn and soy beans to fill the slingers. I will also get a truck load of sweet potatoes to put out. Last year they were $50 for a 1000lb box. --- SAWMAN

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    What are you going to plant and when?
    It's really dry up in north FL. Maybe should have planted a while back, but you can only do it when you have time.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This year I will plant the "normal" wheat,oats,and rye,mix. To that I will add some clover,rape,and purple top turnips.
    I mix 3 bags of 13-13-13 fert into the seed mix,then sling it all onto the prepped soil. Then a heavy drag to cover.
    I would really like to plant in about a week or two,depending on the availability of some rain.
    We seem to have an overabundance of does on the club. I will make it a point to hunt all the doe days and use my doe tag. As of now I have 3 wounded warrior hunts on my area of the club. My oversized shooting houses makes it comfortable for these men to have a good hunt. They can also bring a child or their wife.
    Best of luck to all the hunters on the forum. ---SAWMAN
    Added: Got word this AM that one of the WW's that will hunt with me will be a female.She was in a convoy that was attacked and over run by the ragheads in 2012. There was a close range firefight. A raghead jumped on the runningboard of her duce and a half. He grabbed her by the hair and drug her out the door. Unfortunately for him,she came out with her service pistol and shot him in the face.
    Should be an interesting lady to talk to.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Normally I don't hunt deer in Florida, but I'm contemplating taking a rifle with me when I take my goat herd on the neighbor's property to keep down the brush and weeds. Sometimes deer come out and eat near (about 25yd away) the goats about 1-2 hours before sunset. If I don't move much, the deer appear to pay no attention to me, but only to the goats. Actually, my goats alert me to the deer by many of them stopping eating and staring in the direction the deer appear from. I have permission to hunt the property. I've read the Fl deer regs and see I live in zone DMU D2. Except on doe days, it appears that a legal buck is "3 points on one side OR a main beam length of 10 inches on one side". Am I reading that correctly? So, for instance, this buck on another neighbor's property would not be legal to shoot because it doesn't have 3 points on 1 side: HUNT0038.JPG Is there a rule of thumb for determining the main beam length?

Oh, I haven't put out corn or whatever on my neighbor's property, as the goats would simply find and eat it! The deer are eating the same leaves the goats do except the deer will stand on their hind legs and eat higher leaves from trees.

Attachments

• HUNT0038.JPG
      HUNT0038.JPG
      318.7 KB · Views: 191
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Prices. . . . . . . ----->
    Rice Bran (peanut flavored) at H&H Feed and Seed (hwy.97,Molino) ----- $13.27 for 50#
    Shell corn at the CO-OP in Walnut Hill was $5.25 per bushel. --- SAWMAN

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought two 50# sacks of peanut flavored rice bran at Barnes in Ensley last Friday and was charged $17 - seemed cheap at the time as the best deal I have run into was $11/50# plain rice bran at Marvin's in Atmore prior....

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great way to buy them and I prefer the larger sizes - takes them longer to eat but no way to store them...so I buy sacks off self serve/honor system on 97 just before the intersection of 99 headed to Steve's Farm. $5 a sack and right now they are small - put out a full sack on one spot and they were gone and the peanut rice bran was decimated. Good luck this year Sawman - bow season in two week and I can only hope they don't cut my area before I get a couple of hunts in. They have already come in to mark trees - it's just a matter of time. When you lease timber land - well you know their business is timber not deer.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    No rain -------> No problem.
    Smaller and easier eaten than the last batch,last year,but . . . . they still love 'em. Sweet potatos . . 1000lbs for $50.
    NOW . . . . to the bread store tomorrow and . . . . BANG,BANG.
    At the Walnut Hill CO-OP . . Bushel of corn is $5.25 (56lbs) and bushel of soy beans (60lbs) is $12.50.
    Good hunting to all. ----SAWMAN

Attachments

• 20161114_120924.jpg
      20161114_120924.jpg
      927.4 KB · Views: 91
    Top Bottom