• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am thinking about getting a Ruger Mini-14, Mini-30, or one chambered in 300 Blackout. I need help deciding. The only reason I am leaning away from the Mini-14 is because I already have an AR15 in 5.56, and I wanted something in a different caliber.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have AR's chambered in 223/5.56. I also have a Mini-14 chambered in 6.8SPC. If I didn't I would have a newer model Mini-30.
    IMO they are as accurate as they were designed and/or intended to be,right out of the box. If you "tinker" with them a little,they are an honest 150-200yd deer gun.
    If you list your intended application for this gun,it will allow our members to give you more info as to help in your decision making. ---SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tactical Rifle 300 BLK. Depending on what your shooting and how often. With this your in M1A.308 money and that is the action type you want. Big bat or little bat? I like the ballistic performance of the 300 BLK within appropriate ranges. I don't know how well it functions in the mini 30.

Optics mounting on the mini's has improved buy its a grab bag on accuracy with .223. A GB model was my Duty carbine for over a decade till we changed to ARs. As a Rangemaster and Firearms Instructor I put 10's of thousands of rounds through hundreds of different rifles. Few were exceptional and the great majority had poor accuracy (5+ @ 100). My privatly owned one did 2.5 @ 100. When we transitioned to ARs, I was more then happy to get rid of my mini too.

Hope you get a good one.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why would anyone want a Mini 30 if you got a 7.62x39 in a "SKS" & "AK47" you got all bases cover with them 2 rounds and them 2 weapon systems and no problem finding any ammo for them :angel:

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SOTA Arms makes a 7.62x39 upper in a 1-10 twist with a .308 barrel plus sells good mags, making it a perfect 130-150gr shooter and much more accurate than any AK or the Mini-30. The 300 BO is a man gun, very similar to the 30 carbine and pretty much useless for anything but suppressed or combat suppressed, what it was intended to do.

Ruger changed the barrels on the new Mini-30s, the new barrel is not a .308 as it was, it is a .311 so you would need to find an old 30 to get a .308 barrel. Which brings up another subject, rear sight base with ears, that old style base with the rear sight removed makes a very good and stable scope mount platform when a scope base like the Wichita is put on a Mini. That base locks up solid on the top, dead center, almost like an AR flat top.

But the truth is you can buy an AR lower and several uppers then trade out as you go, the Mini is a one caliber deal. My suggestion would be to just buy another upper and bolt for your AR, then smile a lot.
    Ed

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sorry for the lack of info. I do not need it for hunting because I don't hunt anymore. I am just looking for something I can take to the range and compete with friends. I have an AR15 and I know I can change out the upper, but I just wanted something totally different. Basically just looking for something to play with at the range. I have had an SKS in the past so not interested in one of them.

Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Buy Sawman's 6.8, I have the same gun and love it, it has never let me down!

Chaos

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My offer to sell my 6.8/Mini was pulled. After thinking about who could become our next POTUS I have decieded that it could become "gold". Will be pulling at least one more add pending the election.
    Given your post #7, I would offer the following. For the cost factor a weapon chambered in 5.56X45 or 7.62X39 would save you money in ammo if you are willing to shoot the cheaper steel cased mil style FMJ stuff. There are also some good deals on the above chamberings that come brass/boxer. Just not quite as cheap. If you decide to go this route . . . buy in bulk. Mo chepah.
    For a different type weapon there you could go SKS or AK. The SKS would be cheaper. You could go MINI 14/30. The ones chambered in other than 223/5.56 are fairly expensive. The 223/5.56 chambered MINI's are somewhat cheaper. Especially if you pick a used gun with wood furniture. These guns also have a ton of aftermarket parts add-ons possibilities.
    Another possibility would be a typical pistol chambering carbine. These come in single shot,semi-auto,lever,and bolt guns. A gun chambered in 38Spec/357Mag would be a good choice. A little single shot NEF Handi Rifle would be a fun-gun. ---SAWMAN

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you think you are going to buy an accurate Mini you need to understand the maximum group specs for Ruger rifles, officially their "good to go" accuracy level is under 4 inches. If you doubt that, call and tell them you have a 3 inch shooter and ask that it be fixed, see what you get told.

Then go to Accuracy International and see what they get to gurantee a MOA Mini. I will tell you, $1,000 plus the gun, new. Now an AI custom Mini would be different.
    Ed

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have an AR15 and have had an SKS, so I am just wanting something different. I think the Mini is cool, but if I don't go with the Mini what would be a cool rifle to play with?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    AK pistol or a Sig P556 (classic or Swat). I like the compactness of the older non sig brace version. The AK pistol is much cheaper then the Sigs. Great truck gun too.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The firearm that the Special Operations folks are impressed with is the SCAR. The SCAR comes in two versions, the light which is the standard 223 / 5.56 and the heavy which is the 308 version. Both have the ability to be converted (transformer) to other configurations by modules. Folks say a heavy can be converted to a F-15 with the right parts. The light is very fast, faster than an AR on target and accurate, the heavy is very accurate, to the level of a sniper rifle and has a configuration for that purpose.

Then if you are handy there are new releases of the FN-FAL actions with the parts bags still available. They can be put together for less that $1K.

The last thing would be to build a light weight AR-10 in 260. This would involve a standard upper and lower receiver with an 18-20 inch standard diameter barrel. These are very accurate, mine was.
    Ed

Top Bottom