• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am looking to reconfigure a pistol build that I bought from another member a while back. I don't have any friends with a vice block so I figured I would buy one as opposed to paying someone to do it for me. I have found a set from Wheeler Engineering for $30. It is the clamshell type with a plug for the BCG as well as a gas tube alignment piece. This may be the only time I ever use it but I figure since I own more than one AR it would not be a bad thing to have . Anybody have any experience they would like to share?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The BEV block from magpul isn't much more expensive. The clam shells work fine as long as it's a standard upper. If you've got a billet upper or something non standard, it may not fit. You'll need a larger vise for the clam shell as well. The BEV only works with standard AR barrel extensions. If you wanted do 9mm or something without a normal extension you'd need something else.

Long story, You'll probably end up with both types if you work on them a lot.

Short story, I'd get a BEV

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I use a Magpul BEV block as well. Works great for upper maint. and can be flipped over for working on the lower too. Primary arms usually has them on sale for around $37 not much more than the Wheeler stuff.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    I have the magpul vise block and it works great for forged uppers. I've also got the tube with the gas tube alignment rod but Ive never used it. Really do not see the usefulness of it.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a clam shell fiberglass block and modified it to fit all receivers I use so far, with a router bit and a motor tool. As long as it does not allow the receiver to twist or move when I put the torque wrench to it, it is good to go. Using a .182 drill bit (if memory serves) to set the castle nut for the gas tube, makes the project a lot easier. The drill bit held with one hand, long handle torque wrench with the other hand, when the drill bit drops in you are there.
    Ed

Top Bottom