• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Initial review on Thermal.

Pulsar OLED 50mm objective, 640 pixel's, 50hz

SO i took it off the youth model shotgun. It was only good for 45 yards with buckshot even with a full choke. I feel thats due to a 20inch barrel. Had it been 60-65 yards it would have stayed. Mossburg makes a SA turkey gun with a 22inch barrel and a pic-tac rail on it and i will buy that because i can return it to zero with it and use it on multiple guns but could not return to zero with only a dove tail mounting on current Esscort Magnum 20ga cause cant get it back in same place each time. The Thermal will save 3 different sight in's. So with a ar style tac rail i can move scope around with out re sighting each time. Kinda like a memory seat in a car for multiple drivers

Have it on the lightest AR15 I could build currently. Polymer lower from Omni and a minimalist stock and light cheap upper from PSA

Attachments

• Thermal on 20ga.jpg
      Thermal on 20ga.jpg
      131.4 KB · Views: 244
    • Thermal AR-20ga.jpg
      Thermal AR-20ga.jpg
      36.9 KB · Views: 243
    • Thermal on AR.jpg
      Thermal on AR.jpg
      123.3 KB · Views: 248

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Stan, I really do not understand this whole return to zero thing.
    If you remove the thermal from one gun and install on another . . will it be zero'ed ?? How is that possible ?? Did you have to pay extra to get a "magic " thermal ?? --- SAWMAN

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sawman it has 3 presets for saved sight ins. So if I put the scope back in the same slot on the gun and select the preset for that gun then wabam!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sawman it has 3 presets for saved sight ins. So if I put the scope back in the same slot on the gun and select the preset for that gun then wabam!

My FLIR RS32 has provision for saving 3 "user presets" as it calls them (zero, reticle, color, brightness, scene, etc). HOWEVER, my experience with detaching optics and putting them back on the same rifle (other than iron receiver sights on a target rifle) being careful to get the sight back in the same mounting grooves and pushed forward in the grooves before tightening the screws/mounting lever, has been that I'd better confirm it's still sighted in! The vast majority of the time it's off, windage or elevation or both.

I'm always amazed when I see movies of the bad or good guy putting his/her takedown "sniper" rifle back together from its case and attaching the optic, and it being perfectly zeroed. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing; maybe I'm unlucky. As a result, I've never even bothered swapping my FLIR thermal from rifle to rifle without resighting it in.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You are exactly right Bruce. IMHO . . anytime you physically remove a sight,scope,NV,or thermal the weapon needs to shoot to varify. A reattach into the same pic slot and pushed fwd to take up any play(which any device should always be) ,is no guarantee of return to huntable zero.
    The movies paint a rosey pucture . . . BUT . . . it just aint so. ---SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    BUT ------> using your system Stan,I could quite easily see a one shot zero. Or possibly two . . . . but possibly three . . . . and every so often four . . . . and .........??? ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Stan, have you got a chance to use that thermal yet ?? Was the set up easy ?? How was it mounted and on what weapon ?? --- SAWMAN

Stanley13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sawman I did get it sighted in. Figuring out what the instructions where saying was hell but now that I have done it I could sight it in seconds. Sighted it on an AR15 in 223-556. Gonna get a 22lr conversion and then I will be able to sight it in with 1 of 3 presets and it never leave the gun. Only thing I have hunted was Raccoon with it. I located and my buddy shot with a regular 22 rifle and spot light. Was much easier to locate than the normal looking for eyes with a spot light. Hope to hog hunt this week on Thursday?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Glad that sight is working for you Stan. If it will help with the targeting of them night time critters . . all is good.
    NOW -----> now go get thst pork. ---SAWMAN

Top Bottom