• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I hope this is in the right section. I have been doing some hog hunting and me an a buddy have both been carrying a scoped rifle as well as an AR with red dot each when we get in the shooting house. Where we are hunting there is a possibility for shots in excess of 200 yards easy. We have game cam pics with 20 hogs at a time coming out. We have been talking about gettin quick disconnect scope mounts so we could go in scoped and if a bunch come out close we could remove the scope and use iron sights with the hope of killing multiples. Are there any quick connect mounts for an AR that will go back to zero when reattached for. $100 or less?

If this should be in the optics section then mods feel free to move it.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How close of a zero are you looking for and what's the furthest distance you'd want to use the scope?

A decent quality QD scope mount (under $100) would probably get you close to zero, but maybe not as close as you'd need for kill shots at 150+ yards. I personally wouldn't trust even the highest quality scope mount to be zeroed after re-installing it.

Have you though about a small red dot on an offset mount or a quality 1-6x or 1-8x scope? One of those would be my choice over a QD scope mount.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I second Jeeps comment. A good 1-?x scope would do the trick, most are illuminated as well. If the majority of your shots are within 150yds maybe a magnifier with the red dot would work.
    FWIW, I had an Eotech with a magnifier and have since switched to a viper 1-4x w/ a fixed mount.
    I would feel more comfortable with using one optic vs swapping out in the field.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    A quality 2-7X33 with a heavy duplex would be great IMO. I have several of the Leupold brand and the parallax free distance is set at 75yds. These are designated as a shotgun/ML scope but work great on the closer range rifles.
    Set at 2X you can shoot down to <10yds and I can hit a 4" orange square out to 200 quite easily.
    I would agree with the above posters . . . . changeing optics around in the field doesn't make too much sense with all the sight/scope options available. ---SAWMAN

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'd argue a 1-x variable is going to faster for going from magnified to 1x. It's a lot quicker to twist the dial than pull a scope. (As said above)

I'd also argue that something that's going to come off "quick" probably isn't going to hold a good zero. I've got a few QD mounts but they're tight enough that I'm not going to plan on removing them"when seconds count". Something else to consider is what your definition of "quick" is.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Have been playing with this, will try to post some pict. on some off the result. you may be surprise. May have to change your mine. Just my 5 cents jj

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks guys, there is a lot of good info here. Quick disconnect to me is pop loose two cam locks and start shooting with the irons. Of course if I re install and cannot hit, just say, a six inch circle at 200 yards than it won't work for me no matter what the cost. One Shot I look forward to your pics.

The funny thing is I have owned a Bushmaster ar for 16 years but just recently "got into" ARs and have picked up some more. I killed my first two hogs this week but shot both of them with my single shot CVA .223 with a scope because they were too far for me with the red dot I have on my AR. I am going to have to look into a 1-x variable scope. That sounds like it may be my best route.

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would recommend a Weaver Classic V-Series Rifle Scope 1-3x 20mm Dual-X Reticle Matte Classic V 849400. Great little super lightweight scope, clear optics made in Japan. I picked mine up like new off Fleabay for a hundred bucks. Forget about the QD mount and pair it with a Aero Precision Ultralight 1" Scope Mount Product Number: APRA210400. You will have a super light weight combo for not much money.

Attachments

• CMMG.jpg
      CMMG.jpg
      320.1 KB · Views: 146

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a scope on my AR along with some offset iron sights. It takes a little practice to feel comfortable with the iron sights, but it's not bad and will certainly work for keeping the neighborhood kids off my lawn. I don't hunt hogs, but if I did under the conditions you mention I might consider a medium power scope along with a red dot offset sight which I suspect would be even easier to use than my offset iron sights.

Or, perhaps a variable power scope with a wide range of zoom so you could quickly back off to a very low power for close in shooting and still have enough zoom to be effective at 200 yards.

Top Bottom