• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k4h

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am thinking about buying a suppressor. I know I must complete ATF Form 4 and have my local "Sheriff or Police Chief" sign it. I live in Navarre, Santa Rosa County. Anyone had any problem getting them to sign it? I have read that they don't have to do it if they don't want to. Do I have to have the local county Sheriff to do it or can a Sheriff in another county (like Okaloosa) sign it? Can it be any Sheriff or is there normally a designated person? Any recommendation on a suppressor friendly Sheriff/Police Chief? I also read the benefit of doing it in a Trust, but now required the signature as well. Do you recommend that approve? What's the drawback? I do have a concealed carry permit. Thanks in advance.

Cootcommander

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No more CLEO signature required. Previously, you would have to of had it signed by Sheriff Hall, which to my knowledge he always has. It's irrelevant now though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    New rules went into effect 13 July.

No more CLEO but All submissions require fingerprints/photos. If you're filing as an individual, just your stuff. If you're filing as a Trust, it's prints and photos for every responsible person listed on the trust.

Trusts are more of a pain now if you have multiple people listed but they still offer flexibility on who can "possess" the item.

Wait times for trusts have spiked with the rush that started in Jan. But according to silencershops wait times, it looks like individual wait times are just over a month.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sounds like to me would be easier not to use the trust anymore? Or drop everyone off it and just have you only...

k4h

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you have to be re-fingerprinted/photo each and everything time I buy a suppressor? Is that the same for the trust, everyone named in it has to be re-fingerprinted/photo each time I add a suppressor to the trust? What's the best way to get fingerprinted, i.e. where.

How do you sell a suppressor you no longer needed?

Thanks again.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Do you have to be re-fingerprinted/photo each and everything time I buy a suppressor? Is that the same for the trust, everyone named in it has to be re-fingerprinted/photo each time I add a suppressor to the trust? What's the best way to get fingerprinted, i.e. where.

How do you sell a suppressor you no longer needed?

Thanks again.

I would think with the new ruling yes you would have to get fingerprinted every time you do a transfer. Yes probably same for trustee's also.

If you buy the suppressor I don't think you would want to sell it later but you can but would probably take a beating on price.

Why would a suppressor not be needed later??? LOL I have a bunch of them and would never sell them.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Fingerprints and photos for each NFA transfer. You file for X cans at once, you still need to provide X amount of prints/photos as an individual or for everyone on the trust. You decide you want to buy some more a week later, you do need to submit all the prints and photos again.

Sheriff's office seemd to be the easiest way to go around here. You can get fingerprint cards for free from the ATF forms distribution web site.

You can sell your NFA items but unless it's a machine gun, most people don't resell because of the hassle of the paperwork. The used market for suppressors is small. Unless you've got a can with some historical or collector significance, you'd have to sell at a huge loss to get someone to buy a used can over new.

Because of the way the paper work is currently I usually recommend getting the "best" can you can afford because, unless the rules change, you're probably going to have it for life.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Trustee, and co-trustees, not successors or beneficiaries. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k4h

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks everyone. Understand the huge loss in a sell. But may want to sell if I have sold the gun, got a better cans or sold the gun and cans combo. I'm assuming it is on me to make sure the buyer get his paperwork done, if nothing else to let ATF know I no longer in possession of such cans. I will do some research on it when the time close. Again, thanks for the education.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks everyone. Understand the huge loss in a sell. But may want to sell if I have sold the gun, got a better cans or sold the gun and cans combo. I'm assuming it is on me to make sure the buyer get his paperwork done, if nothing else to let ATF know I no longer in possession of such cans. I will do some research on it when the time close. Again, thanks for the education.
    It would have to be transferred through an NFA dealer and a form 4 in the name of the buyer.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It would have to be transferred through an NFA dealer and a form 4 in the name of the buyer.

It's my understanding that if you sell a NFA item in state, it can be done form 4 to form 4. It's usually the seller's responsibility to file the paper work but you will need to buyer to provide some information. Across state lines will need to go through a dealer.

Don't quote me though.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Fingerprints and photos for each NFA transfer. You file for X cans at once, you still need to provide X amount of prints/photos as an individual....

So, if I, as an individual, send in the same envelope at the same time more than one set of Form 1's and/or Form 4's, I have to have multiple sets of fingerprint cards, 1 set of 2 cards for each different Form 1 set and/or Form 4 set. Example: I am buying 1 suppressor and also doing Form 1's to make 2 SBR's, so I would need to have in the same envelope a total of 6 fingerprint cards? Or would 1 set of fingerprint cards (2 cards) suffice for all the applications in the envelope since they are going in together? Thank you.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So, if I, as an individual, send in the same envelope at the same time more than one set of Form 1's and/or Form 4's, I have to have multiple sets of fingerprint cards, 1 set of 2 cards for each different Form 1 set and/or Form 4 set.

Yes.

Duplicate for the photos and prints for each SN.

3 SNs, 6 cards and 6 photos, 3 applications.

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's my understanding that if you sell a NFA item in state, it can be done form 4 to form 4. It's usually the seller's responsibility to file the paper work but you will need to buyer to provide some information. Across state lines will need to go through a dealer.

Don't quote me though.

I know this is old, but just to add, a non-licensee can Form 4 and ship right to an out of state FFL/SOT. Then that FFL/SOT obviously transfers to the purchaser. 2 stamps to go across state line. Has to be a SOT though. Not a regular Tom Dick and Harry FFL.
    In state, no FFL/SOT is needed, 1 stamp. Just like selling a regular firearm.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    understanding that you do not have to have CLEO sign off on paperwork anymore, Form 4 still has CLEO paper in form, does that form have to be given to CLEO? Or can it?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Have to send a notification to the CLEO. If you printed the entire Form 4 from the ATF site, the last couple of pages well be the CLEO copy. You'll have to forward along a copy of the form 23 as well for all responsible individuals if you're going the trust route

It's just a notification. They no longer have a say in the matter.

Top Bottom