• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLACKOUT

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I traded for an AK now I want to duracoat the receiver. Has anyone done this and if so did you do it with the rivets in place or completely strip it. That leads in to my next question, How much of a pain is it to remove, order and replace the rivets? I am an AR guy and this is my first AK build.
    Thanks

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had my Saiga 12 Cerakoted. I just removed the trigger group, piston, and any other internals + or course the stock and anything else that would easily come off. Panhandle powdercoating removed a couple other pieces that were a bit above my confidence level ....they wanted to make sure they got every square inch well coated! I would NOT remove any rivets.
    It cost me about $150 to have the Saiga coated (receiver and barrel)....and I would definately go the cerakote route again.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with wilwork4guns...don't remove the rivets. That'll just invite more possibility for problems down the road, especially if the rivets aren't seated and bucked correctly. Duracoating gives a very nice finish, so long as you take your time with it. We can do that for you also, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I will Ceracote any gun for $150... I have tons of colors, and have been doing it for a few years...
    I'm 20min away from the crestview exit...

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is cerakote a better finish than duracoat? I've done a few AR mags with duracoat, just to see if I could do it. The finish seems very durable and the application wasn't too hard. I've never handled any guns that were cerakoted.

BLACKOUT

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I dont mind the high jacking of the thread, but how do I turn it off so that I dont get an email every time someone replies to something besides "duracoating an ak47".

Captken

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is two ways to Duracoat and only one way for Ceracoat. You can get a do it yourself spray on kit for the Duracoat and not have to bake the weapon in the oven. Then there is the Duracoat that bakes on the same way as Ceracoat. I don't have a oven that big and I bet the wife would really frown on baking a gun in her oven. Thinking about Duracoating my S-12

Latest posts

Top Bottom