APOD Firearms

Glock mags won't drop free - any ideas for a fix?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I noticed the magazines will no longer drop free when empty. It's a Gen 4 G19. It occurs with factory Glock mags as well as the Pmags. It does it worse with the all plastic Pmags. Guessing because the plastic mags without a steel liner will bulge easier. New mags, old mags, it doesn't matter.

I'm thinking about inserting an oversized block of wood into the mag well, then gently heating it up with a hair dryer. With hopes of it expanding the mold very slightly.

Anyone else run across this problem?

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Try spraying silicone on the mags (then wipe off excess), then spray some on a rag and wipe down inside the mag well. Usually crude will accumulate in the corners of the mag well and cause problems. You can use an old toothbrush to clean those corners. This worked for a friend of mine.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the response guys. The silicon cleaning helped slightly, as the mags ejected about half inch lower. Still don't clear the pistol though. Seems like the grips are not wide enough. I think I will try the wedge idea when I get some free time. Thanks again.

shadeogray

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Would love to see in that mag well. Sounds like you have something in there... Have you cerakoted or dipped it recently?

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If this happens, usually it's where the thumb rest indentions extend into the magwell making contact with the mags. Put something on the mag like talcum powder and see if that is the area that's rubbing. Slide the mag in until you feel resistance, pull it out, look where it is rubbing. Then use a fine flat bastard file to remove the plastic in the area that is touching the mags or you can wrap a file with 220 grit sand paper and cut the high areas inside the mag well down.
    Ed

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have always used Armorall protectant/ cleaner on all my polymer mags and have never had problems. I never thought about using silicon but it seems to me that would attract dirt/grit when dropped on the ground during reloads? The Armorall doesn't seem to attract the dirt and grit as much. Just my .02 worth!

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL - yeah, a "disaster" had crossed my mind as well.
    I cleaned out the magwell -I will carefully try the sanding idea. That sounds much more controllable and practical.

TDS92A

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Before you try to modify the magazine well, try adjust the tension on the magazine release. It may be rubbing up against the mag just enough to slow it down upon ejecting the magazine.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems like I'm routinely cleaning my mag well and mags with all the sweat and gunk that falls in there from carry. Believe it or not, a lot of the gunk looks to be dried deodorant. Seems likely as it would fall straight down. Being waxy, it may be one thing creating drag on your mags. Least my gun don't stink. :lol:

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well minds the same way. I have found grass from doing yard work dust and lent. So I check minds once a week.

BDK1972

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm not 100% sure but I think I remember hearing that the Austrian made Glocks and Mags were made not to fall out in the snow American Market wanted Free Falling mags

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some of these not dropping issues trace to the Gen 4 ambi switchable mag release. You manual will tell you how to swap it. I recommend you remove it the mag release assy and seat the mag flush with slide removed. Does it bind when inserted? Will gravity cause it to drop free both loaded and empty?
    this will tell you if the binding is actually between the mag and mag well. You can run a thin feeler gauge down the sides and back checking for binging/tight spots. You may need to back out the mag slightly to get the feeler gauge in.

Put a mag in the freezer for 24 hours. It will freeze and actually contract its external dimensions. With a fully assembeled room temp Glock with slide locked back, insert the frozen mag fully then see if it will drop free. This test provides a bit more space between the mag and mag well and see if binding is on the release assembly.

You can use calipers to measure if the mag bulges when loaded.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you need to deburr or reduce a high spot in the mage well: Disassemble a mag and tape fine wet/dry sand paper (at both ends) to one side of the mag but below the top stop/angle. Insert finger or two in base ow mag and work the area.

Another troubleshooting tip: speaking of the top stop edges, make sure thats not the bind: seat full/empty mag. Tap bottom as you normally do. Hit release, if no drop, take pressure off the mag release and tap/seat again. Now pull down on mag floor plate so the mag is resting solidly on mag release and any existing slack/over travel (wedge/jam) is eliminated: release tension on mag floorplate and hit mag release. If it falls free you found the problem.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just a thought - - - - > I have under cut the trigger guard on a couple of my Glocks. Before doing the first one (a Glock 20) I contacted Glock directly re. this procedure.
    The Glock rep told me that ANY (and all) mods that are done to the Glock FRAME will void the warranty. ----SAWMAN

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry for my late reply. THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS!!

over the course of some time, I tried just about all the tips. Several improved the situation, but not completely fixed it. Finally, I followed the sanding tips after identifying some high spots, and that sealed the deal. It seems that the problem was like a dog with flees and ticks (multiple issues). That magazine sander idea was clever.

I'm a happy Glock owner again...thanks guys!

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Various surface areas inside the grip frame. The mag was rubbing in several areas. I've had several kydex holsters made by using the gun as the mold. I'm wondering if the heat applied to form the holster didn't have something to do with the issue.

Top Bottom