• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got to cut down a bunch of it. It's a cluster about 16' in diameter and a minimum of 16' tall, with many shoots way past the power lines. There is a bunch of it. It's green, healthy with fairly large diameter shoots. If I didn't have a thousand other things to do I would bring it home and stack it for a future project.

Does anyone have any use for it? I really don't want to load it and haul it to the dump. If anyone here wants it to build a fence, pagoda or decorate the yard let me know. If you do want it all I ask is that you come and help load it. I'll probably cut it down within the next couple of weeks. You'll have to schedule it for a weekday and need a trailer or you cut it to whatever lengths you want on site. Location is off Navy Blvd. close to the front gate of Mainside.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just do not bury it or disk it up, or under, it will spread like wildfire. I finally found a way to actually kill palmetto and it should also kill bamboo. If you want the spray formula send me a PM.
    Ed

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What is the size of some of the biggest pieces (in diameter) ?? Is there any close to 2 inches ?? --- SAWMAN

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll take some photos of it later today and measure the diameter on a few pieces.

Rapier, I used to mess with bamboo years ago. What I've found is there are some that run and some just clump. This batch is the clump type. The lady that planted this particular batch put a single shoot in the ground back around 1995 and today it's only about a 16' diameter. The stuff my ex planted at our house in a neighborhood shot out 20 and 30 feet in a matter of weeks. She planted it in a corner and it went into three neighbor's yards. I used it for a privacy fence once by digging a trench along the property line about 5' inside the line and 5' deep, then placed a vertical barrier of old sheet metal siding from a commercial building I demo'd. Worked great and the runners on the other side only went a little ways into the woods.

I'm not too worried about this bunch. It's on some property my boss owns and we got dinged by the county for letting growth get out of hand. I'm going to run the brush cutter over everything, clean it out of the power lines and call it good. Everything else will become mulch but the bamboo and various palm tree fronds won't cooperate so I have to haul that stuff out. I hate to waste the bamboo. If I didn't already have a thousand projects planned at my house I would frame up something and turn all of this pile into a privacy/sound barrier along the deck.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks Sean. Can't use any of that . . . sorry.
    Can you just cut it off at the ground. Then when it starts to sprout again,spray it with 24D or Round Up ?? ---SAWMAN

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am cutting it down at the base. Don't care if it comes back, I'm trying to keep the boss from getting a fine. He's just holding onto the property for the value. By the time it gets back into the power lines I'm pretty sure it'll be someone else's problem.

I was going to whack it today but Gulf Power won't be out to shut the power off till tomorrow. I'm going to run my brush cutter close to the ground and it'll chop the snot out of it.

Just thought someone might want the canes for a project, fishing poles, etc.

And on a side note I got nailed again. I hit the largest damned hornets nest I've ever seen. I drove into some brush and the sky went dark with the bastards. Luckily I wore long pants but got hit once in the face, twice in the left hand and once on the right. As soon as I saw what was going on I reversed out of there at top speed. Shut down the skidsteer about a hundred feet away, got in my truck, closed the gate and said screw it! I'm home early from work full of Benadryl and plotting my revenge on them summbiches.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Give them a day to settle down, go back in daytime, watch and find the entrance hole(s), look for a back door (less traffic flying in/out), then come back after dark, walk up to the nest lightly as not to get them riled up. Pour a gallon or so of gasoline down the hole. Problem solved. g/l

S_SHELL

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Give them a day to settle down, go back in daytime, watch and find the entrance hole(s), look for a back door (less traffic flying in/out), then come back after dark, walk up to the nest lightly as not to get them riled up. Pour a gallon or so of gasoline down the hole. Problem solved. g/l

you forgot about having someone hold his beer and a pack of matches

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm going back today dressed for battle. I know about where the nest was but not exactly. It's too close to a building for a flame thrower.

use WD40 with a spray straw & a lighter....

Lysol works too, but WD40 is better, directed stream of fire...

please post any pictures of your stings afterwards..:wacko:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm going back today dressed for battle. I know about where the nest was but not exactly. It's too close to a building for a flame thrower.

Good idea. Fire will only kill the ones Outside the nest. So just douse them with gas, the fumes from the gas will kill them, it will "fume" up the nest below ground. But gas them after dark, to get them all while they're in their nest. Wait a couple of days, check it again to see if any are flying. If not. dig up the nest, just to see how big it was.
    I got one at the neighbors, after they hit me 13 times. Thank God for epipens. That nest was almost 3.5'

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Boss wants to hire a pro. I'll check it out close when I get over there today. I'm either immune or just about reached my tolerance level for stings.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    WD40 is not flammable is it ??? ---SAWMAN
    My Dr. told me that over the years,the more times you get stung,the more chance for needing a EpiPen because your tolerance to the sting is lowered.
    The emerg med kit that I carry in my truck ALWAYS has Benedryl in it. I have had to use them twice. Now I have a pen. ---SAWMAN

Last edited:

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Someone say wasps? This thread makes my face hurt

Attachments

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      38 KB · Views: 123
    Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    WD40 is not flammable is it ??? ---SAWMAN
    My Dr. told me that over the years,the more times you get stung,the more chance for needing a EpiPen because your tolerance to the sting is lowered.
    The emerg med kit that I carry in my truck ALWAYS has Benedryl in it. I have had to use them twice. Now I have a pen. ---SAWMAN

WD40 will light them up good....

Top Bottom