Item: Glock full-size stainless steel guide rod w/ 3 springs

Contact Info: PM

Price: $35.00

New Stainless Steel captured guide rod.

Includes 3 flat wire guide rod springs
    16# spring - Yellow
    17# spring - Green (installed)
    19# spring - Red

Will fit the following full-size frame Gen 3 Glock pistols: G17, G17L, G22, G24, G31, G34, G37 and G20, G20SF, G21, G21SF. Will also fit the same Gen 4 Glocks with the proper guide rod adapter (not included).

Price: $35.00

SS Glock guide rod rs.jpg

Attachments

• SS Glock guide rod rs.jpg
      SS Glock guide rod rs.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 135

budbreak96

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This maybe a stupid question seeing I've been around gun's since a kid, my Dad being a Retired Special Agent for the state of Fl. my Grandfather showing me about them for 15 years and hunting at my Uncles Lodge for over 20 years And A Glock 27 was the first pistol I bought when I turned 21, But what do the guide rod & springs do? I have heard of people messing with the triggers but never anything about the guide rod & springs.

jjbollin

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    This maybe a stupid question seeing I've been around gun's since a kid, my Dad being a Retired Special Agent for the state of Fl. my Grandfather showing me about them for 15 years and hunting at my Uncles Lodge for over 20 years And A Glock 27 was the first pistol I bought when I turned 21, But what do the guide rod & springs do? I have heard of people messing with the triggers but never anything about the guide rod & springs.

Not a stupid question just somewhat complicated to answer. There are many reasons to change the guide rod springs not so many reasons for changing the guide rod to a metal guide rod on a Glock other than it makes it a little easier to change spring weights. Many shooters change the weight of the guide rod spring to tailor the needs of the ammo they shoot, lighter less powerful rounds like sub-sonic use a lighter spring weight, faster hotter rounds like +P or +P+ rounds use a heavier spring weight. Additionally some shooters like myself like the extra weight at the muzzle a steel guide rod offers as opposed to the polymer ones on Glocks.

My initial reason was neither. I was having an issue with a Streamlight mounted on a stock G22 which was having feeding issues. Thought I'd try a steel guide rod with a heavy spring weight.... didn't help so I contacted Glock and this was their response:

"Q: Are there Issues Using Tactical Lights on Glock® Pistols?

A: Some Glock® .40 caliber pistols, models 22 and 23, exhibit feeding malfunctions, either nose down or nose up (stovepipe), when used with tactical lights. The problems tend to occur with individual guns, with some pistols becoming totally unreliable while other identical, even close in serial number sequence, guns have no problems. Most models 22 and 23 are reliable.

A sensitive gun may malfunction with any tactical light - the TLRs, the older M models, and even Glock®’s own brand. There is evidence that the problem sometimes develops with use, and may progress until the pistol is unreliable even with no light attached.

On the basis of testing by Streamlight, we believe the problem is magazine related. It appears that the rounds are unable to rise fast enough for proper cycling. We have observed proper feeding for the first few rounds, consistent failures at mid-magazine capacity, and a return to proper feeding of the last few cartridges in the magazine.

We have tried both stronger and weaker recoil springs, and compound-action recoil buffers, all without success. Sometimes new magazine springs, either new Glock® or Wolff, will cure the problem. In one case of a pistol which was totally reliable when new but progressed to malfunctioning on every magazine, even with no light installed, we found two solutions which restored reliability, but which might not be acceptable to some users. The first was using 10 round capacity Glock® magazines. The gun will not cycle reliably with 15 round mags with their steeply stacked columns but works flawlessly with 10 round mags. The second solution was a new magazine follower from Brownells®, their part number 069-000-006. When used in a 15 round magazine with a new spring, reliability was restored. However, the follower would not lock the slide open after the last round.

Ammunition is also a factor with any weapon. Some brands and weights may be totally reliable while others jam repeatedly. Make sure your gun is thoroughly tested with your duty ammo."

Last edited:

Qoholeth

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Guide Rod material might be important because in a Glock the guide rod material is polymer and changing to various metal versions (stainless steel or tungsten) would add significant weight to the muzzle area reducing felt recoil.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom