• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I was offered a WASR 10 in a trade deal a while back. The trade deal was for a $400 item. I did some looking around but turned it down. I am thinking about seeing if the offer still stands. I have read about the canted sights and the mag wobble. Saw on a you tube video where WASR stood for "what a crappy rifle". I have also read on a forum where plenty of guys that own them say they love theirs and they always go boom.

I have never owned an AK but would like to. My dad has a few SKS and a mini 30 so I am familiar with the caliber. Does the mag wobble ever get so bad that it affects function? Is it something I could fix? Could I get another receiver for a decent price that would work on it? I am more concerned with "does it function" than "it is not as smooth as an Arsenal". How hard would canted sights be to fix? I am fairly handy with tools and have friends that are better at it than me. I have built an AR receiver, not that it is that hard. Thanks in advance for any first hand knowledge.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mag wobble is a non-issue as far as function. Canted sights are an easy fix. Having said that, none of mine have been that bad in either aspect. I'd gladly give $400 cash for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks for peeing in my cheerios Nate! I was hoping to get more than 100,000 rounds out of the receiver:) That is a great read.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I read the article, it was very informative. I have a few Brownell AR mags. It is good to see them so highly rated. I have never cared for P-Mags personally. On the AK...I don't think I will ever get to 100,000 rounds in my 2013 build WASR 10 lol. They work for Somali Pirates practically rusted closed so I don't think I will be having any problems with mine. The build quality on mine was perfect. I looked it over very carefully at Mike's and could find nothing wrong with it. I have read lots of articles and watched YouTube video's on what to look for. If I could find a WASR-10, and not the 10-63 I would be all over it for $400.00. Having said the above, I recently went with a friend for him to purchase his very own WASR-10 in his name. The store had two 2015 models. On the first one, the front sight was slightly canted. On the second one the receiver was actually dented in where a rivet had been driven in with too much force. The receiver was actually dimpled in as it would be if you pressed your finger in to your arm. You had to look to see it, but it was there. I recommended, and he purchased the one with the slightly canted front sight. He took it home and straightened the sight, and the gun has been flawless to shoot. Look one over very carefully, especially the rivets, and how the are put in. I don't see a little mag wobble as a big deal. AK's are cool little guns. AR's and AK's both have their place and purpose.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well I got it a little while ago and it looks much better than I was anticipating. Of course I don't have any intimate knowledge of AKs so I don't really have any comparisons. I will post some pics in a day or so. It has the "blonde" wood fore grip with black polymer pistol grip and folding stock. Thanks guys for the input.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Well I got it a little while ago and it looks much better than I was anticipating. Of course I don't have any intimate knowledge of AKs so I don't really have any comparisons. I will post some pics in a day or so. It has the "blonde" wood fore grip with black polymer pistol grip and folding stock. Thanks guys for the input.

Does it have the plastic TAPCO folding stock or the Romanian wire folding stock?

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It is the Tapco folder. It does not seem real durable but we will see. I do have the required shooting headgear all I need now is some ammo:)

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    It is the Tapco folder. It does not seem real durable but we will see. I do have the required shooting headgear all I need now is some ammo:)

Personally, I have never been impressed with the TAPCO sidefolder. Too cheap and chinsy for my taste. When I had a WASR-10, I replaced the wood stock with the Romanian wire folding stock. It was strong, sturdy, and looked original to the WASR. It is not as comfortable as the TAPCO is to shoot, but is does not feel cheap like the TAPCO. I have an ACE Skeleton stock with a side-folding adapter on my remaining AK. Now, that is a nice stock.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks for the info Tackleberry. Your stock does look nice. I wont be doing anything to it in the near future. I think I would rather have a wood stock for the classic look but if I wanted to use this as a truck gun the folder would be nice. I just hope it is not too hot tomorrow when I try it out. The required headgear gets sweaty quick.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well I tried it out today and it shot great! I propped up against a ladder and put five rounds in a circle about 3 inches at 25 yards. I bought 40 rounds and split it into the 2 mags that came with the gun plus one I already had and all functioned fine. I like it!

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    3 Inches at 25 equals a one foot group or larger at 100? You might not of had keyholing yet due to short distance. Pretty ugly IMHO.
    I never claimed to be a good shot. I need to build a bench where I can get comfortable. Might even invest in some targets instead of my usual dot of spray paint on a pizza box:)

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    3" at 25yds unsupported with irons and steel cased ammo wouldn't scare me. But that is by no means a good way to see what kind of accuracy the rifle is capable of.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That could be considered Minute of Felon accuracy.

Top Bottom