• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Unclebud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been carrying a glock 19 for the past couple of years and shooting a glock 34 and CZ shadow in USPSA. I am thinking about getting into shooting and carrying a full size 1911. Have any of you guys made this type of transition ? Also the brand of 1911 I am looking at is Wilson Combat, if anyone has one that they can share any info on would be appreciated.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started on 1911s in the early 80s and went to Glocks in the early 2000s and I'm back to 1911s mostly now. I'm currently rotating two Wilson Combat CQB pistols; one railed , with no rail. Can't say enough good things about them. My railed gun is a 2002 model and the trigger was feeling worn, mushy and too light. I emailed them to ask how much to have it looked at and fixed. They sent me a label to send it back no charge.

Unclebud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started on 1911s in the early 80s and went to Glocks in the early 2000s and I'm back to 1911s mostly now. I'm currently rotating two Wilson Combat CQB pistols; one railed , with no rail. Can't say enough good things about them. My railed gun is a 2002 model and the trigger was feeling worn, mushy and too light. I emailed them to ask how much to have it looked at and fixed. They sent me a label to send it back no charge.

From all of the reading I have done, I have yet to find anything negative about Wilson Combat except for the price. But I am a buy once cry once type of guy.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I carry a full size and a spare mag. A good holster and a rigid gun belt are a must. Wilson Combat 1911s are top notch fighting guns. A $3000 gun is a cheap life insurance. If you have any questions, ask away!

Last edited:

Unclebud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry a full size and a spare mag. A good holster and a rigid gun belt are a must. Wilson Combat 1911s are top notch fighting guns. A $3000 gun is a cheap life insurance. If you have any questions, ask away!

Which model do you carry. I like the CQB, but really like the options that the Vickers elite and or the Hackathorn special come with.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a Nighthawk Enforcer. both of those models you mentioned are very nice. its cheaper to buy the model that has all the options that you want instead of getting the work done later.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'm out of the 1911 game
    And loving my WC 92G.
    But seriously, if you're gonna have a 1911, go with Wilson. I've had over 20 of them through the years, and never had a problem with a single one. My favorite was probably the Vickers Elite, closely followed by my fist one which was an old LW Protector.

Last edited:

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm out of the 1911 game
    And loving my WC 92G.
    But seriously, if you're gonna have a 1911, go with Wilson. I've had over 20 of them through the years, and never had a problem with a single one. My favorite was probably the Vickers Elite, closely followed by my fist one which was an old LW Protector.

You will be back soon enough. No way you can stay away from Wison, based on your history. I grew up with 1911s. Then moved to Sigs for a number of years. The damn plastic Glock finally won me over last year, and have been carrying a Glock 19. It's so light weight and I don't care if it get bumps and bruises. Extremely practical gun. However Dante, I picked up a Beretta 92 in a trade about a week ago. Not sure if I will want to carry the beast, but it's been tempting. Just hate the slide mounted safety/decocker.

Back to the OP - you came to the right place, as a handful of forum members have a great deal of experience with Wilson. I would be interested in your questions, and subsequent responses.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm out of the 1911 game
    And loving my WC 92G.

I'm going to try to get the her back here soon enough.... Hopefully he'll budge this time.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'm going to try to get the her back here soon enough.... Hopefully he'll budge this time.
    I don't remember who has it, but I know it's either Mitch of or Kevin, and in either case, it's doubtful.
    OP, if you have any questions about Wilson's, I've probably owned one of each model, except for Hackathorn, Sentinels, and any Supers. I also owned a few Nighthawks, Browns and Baers. Most of mine came from George Talia at www.migunslingers.com , great guy with impeccable taste when ordering his builds, and he'll usually take a good chunk off the price on his website. Good luck on your journey, it's a fun one for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When my attire allows it, my 1911 commander rides my belt.

I can shoot a ragged hole at 15 yards with it. Best shooting and feeling gun I own for sure.

Unclebud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As far as models, I am leaning towards the Vickers elite. It is basically a CQB elite with some very nice add on's, such as the spaced out front and rear slide serrations and rounded one piece magwell and mainspring housing. And from what I've read comes with 3 Vickers magazines which are $55 each. But if I could find the right deal on another full sized model I would give it some serious thought.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    The vickers elite is a great gun, unless you want a light rail. I'd go for that or a CQB elite. I'm mixed on the Vickers mags though. I love the baseplates for competition as they're big and heavy, but the solid tubes are no good, since it's very difficult to get sand out of them. The grips are also fairly aggressive, so while good for shooting, they'll chew you up if you carry it.
    I guess your choice depends on how much carry vs range work vs competition you intend on doing with it.

Unclebud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The vickers elite is a great gun, unless you want a light rail. I'd go for that or a CQB elite. I'm mixed on the Vickers mags though. I love the baseplates for competition as they're big and heavy, but the solid tubes are no good, since it's very difficult to get sand out of them. The grips are also fairly aggressive, so while good for shooting, they'll chew you up if you carry it.
    I guess your choice depends on how much carry vs range work vs competition you intend on doing with it.

I don't think i will be competing with it. I will continue to use my CZ for that. I just plan on carrying it instead of my glock 19 and shooting it at the range.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Are you set on full size?

Top Bottom