• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been saving brass for awhile and am now reloading. I came to understand that some suppiers switched from large pistol primers to small pistol primers. I started sorting brass and I found that Blazer brass used small primers, Remington, PMC, Freedom and Federal did not. I continued my sort on some older brass and I ran into some Federal that has small primers too. Any other manufacturers you know of using small primers? When did Federal make the switch? I have never kept brass separated...obviously, I will now do so in .45....more sorting in front of me I can see

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i have never had problems loading and using SPP....
    my marlin camp45 likes them and hates about everything else.

i just keep'um separated and use accordingly

i also use them when loading for my LDA

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I know a few fellas who shoot exclusively small primer .45. It lets them change their press from from 9 to .45 without changing primer mechanism. A warning to all who reload, on say a dillon 550, BEWARE OF DOUBLE CHARGING the case on station two when you discover the primer wont seat on stage one. Ive seen two 1911's blow because of this. Sort your brass before you load.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm going to sort them and keep them separate and actually gives me some flexibility now that I know. I wasnt loading during the ammo crunch but my understanding was that primers got very very scarce so this is probably a good thing in hindsight. I have a good amount of brass so I just don't see me buying any for a long time, if ever. My 9mm brass is even waaay more....40, .223 and .300 AAC is my least plentiful at this time so the latter two, I am still buying factory ammo to accumulate some brass.

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Always a Question out of Carver,,,,,,,Is the powder charge the same using SPP. compared to LPP.....Yes I have not loaded in a while,,I never knew the switch had come about till now,,,,,2 nd Question is the switch to Mag SPP ? Thanks

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Always a Question out of Carver,,,,,,,Is the powder charge the same using SPP. compared to LPP.....Yes I have not loaded in a while,,I never knew the switch had come about till now,,,,,2 nd Question is the switch to Mag SPP ? Thanks

SPP is about 50 FPS slower. depends on powder

Top Bottom