• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    A younger friend spent almost $3K having a shop build his AR10, they used an Aero lower with JP barrel, JP BCG, JP buffer tube & buffer plus other parts that I don't remember right now like the upper used. The buffer tube broke right against the receiver on the 2nd shot the the shop fixed it and he got thru hunting season but about a month ago the buffer tube pulled the threads out of the Aero lower when he shot a 168gr.round. The shop that built it still hasn't fixed it and told him the Aero lowers were on back order, since it has less than 100 rounds thru it if I remember correctly I was hoping for some ideas on what to advise him to do. I won't name the shop unless they screw him over if that happens I will let everyone know what shop built it. I thought it might be over gassed but I know next to nothing about direct impingement system so all advice is welcome.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Lowers are indeed a ways out from aero.

The tube stripped the threads out of the lower? That sucks.

Any other symptoms? Lots of recoil? Where's the brass going? How's the brass look?

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I dont know a whole lot about 308 ARs...

Is there a difference between AR15 buffers, tubes and springs?

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Lowers are indeed a ways out from aero.

The tube stripped the threads out of the lower? That sucks.

Any other symptoms? Lots of recoil? Where's the brass going? How's the brass look?

One of the rounds was split at the base of the neck and I asked the owner to compare spent rounds with unfired ones
    When I talk to him I will ask about recoil and ejection path
    Thanks MarkS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    One of the rounds was split at the base of the neck and I asked the owner to compare spent rounds with unfired ones
    When I talk to him I will ask about recoil and ejection path
    Thanks MarkS

Is he shooting reloads? Sounds like a really hot load to have caused the casing to split at the neck. Hot loads could also be causing some extreme recoil, there by resulting in the damage done. No .308 AR built properly and using the appropriate ammo should ever suffer that kind of damage.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Is he shooting reloads? Sounds like a really hot load to have caused the casing to split at the neck. Hot loads could also be causing some extreme recoil, there by resulting in the damage done. No .308 AR built properly and using the appropriate ammo should ever suffer that kind of damage.

No reloads, factory ammo is all he shoots
    He told me he shot a box of Rem. CorLok and then used Hog Hammer during hunting season and said the Hog Hammer didn't recoil as much as the CorLok
    I will ask what brand of 168gr he was shooting when the buffer tube stripped the threads from the lower
    I agree that it shouldn't of happened if the rifle was sound

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I dont know a whole lot about 308 ARs...

Is there a difference between AR15 buffers, tubes and springs?

An AR-15 rifle buffer tube will fit an LR-308, but you need the 308 rifle buffer and spring.

A CAR-15/M-4 collapsible stock buffer tube will fit an LR-308 but you need to use a Slash shortened buffer and 308 spring, or use Armalite's collapsible stock buffer, tube and spring for the AR-10 carbine.

A rifle length stock/buffer tube can be used on an AR-15 and an AR-10. You will need a .308 Rifle Buffer & Spring. AR15 rifle buffers/springs will not work. The AR-10 rifle buffer is a bit shorter than the AR-15 rifle buffer. The spring is also different.

If you want to install a carbine stock you have two choices for buffer tube length.

1.With a standard 7" tube you need a short buffer & spring, such as a CAR-10 Buffer. Some stocks such as the Magpul UBR have a proprietary buffer tube and require the use of a short buffer.

2.With an extended VLTOR/ArmaLite tube (7-7/4") you can use a standard AR15 carbine length buffer, but you still need a .308 buffer spring. You need AT LEAST an H3 (5.5 oz) buffer for use in a .308. Note that with the extended tube some stocks will not fully collapse, and those that do will leave you with 3/4" of buffer tube protruding beyond the butt plate (OUCH!!!).

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    He's got a JP Silent Capture buffer spring and buffer now but the first time when the buffer tube broke it was an Aero Precision buffer and spring.
    I called and asked what ammo he had shot 1st was 2 boxes of Win. Super X 150gr and the Areo buffer tube broke after shooting most of those two boxes. The builder then replaced the buffer with the JP Silent Capture buffer tube,spring & buffer, he then shot about a 1/2 box of the Hog Hammer during hunting season and then 5 rounds of Sierra Match Kings 168gr with it stripping the threads on the 5th round. He sent me photos which I will try to post from my phone

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This was the first time the second time it pulled the JP buffer tube out about a half inch and scarred the upper beyond repair
    The case is the Sierra Match King

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Once the Aero buffer broke the shop put the JP silent capture in
    I was guessing about over gassing but I was thinking along the same lines Rapier
    EDIT: I was wrong the buffer spring and buffer were suppose to be a JP Silent Capture that broke the first time

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'm on board with tackleberry.

That looks like the short SCS fit the Maxim pdw stock. The ar10 version should have another weight and longer rod. Is there a spacer in the tube with the SCS?

If that's the case I'm guessing it's not near the correct weight and could the wrong size as well

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    who built the rife?

Until the builder tells my friend what they're doing about it I promised my friend I wouldn't bad mouth the builder but it is a local outfit for my area

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The bolt unlocked before the pressure dropped, ripping the brass in half at the neck. No buffer or spring would fix that, only reducing the pressure in the gas tube would help. Suggest your buddy get an adjustable gas block and shut it down quite a bit to control when the bolt tries to unlock. As long as those lugs are locked the bolt can not come back at all, unlocked too early and that BCGS will destroy the gun.
    Ed

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The bolt unlocked before the pressure dropped, ripping the brass in half at the neck. No buffer or spring would fix that, only reducing the pressure in the gas tube would help. Suggest your buddy get an adjustable gas block and shut it down quite a bit to control when the bolt tries to unlock. As long as those lugs are locked the bolt can not come back at all, unlocked too early and that BCGS will destroy the gun.
    Ed
    It's suppose to have an adjustable gas block but he just found out today the the bolt carrier wasn't the JP he paid for while the bolt is a JP bolt, so it might not be the adjustable gas block he paid for. At this point he's still waiting for them to put it back together using a different brand of upper & lower with a new buffer tube & assembly. Once he gets it back I'm going to ask him to have someone who knows what they're doing like Nate, TackleberryMCS or oneshot check it for proper function since I think the shop that built it just threw the parts together and never tuned or tested it for proper function

Top Bottom