• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This little guy was in my pool. I have previously had what I am pretty sure was a banded water snake. I came to this conclusion based on how he swam through the water. As he would swim only his head was above the water. I read that a banded water snake would swim like that while a water moccasin would swim with its entire body on the surface.

This little guy was swimming with his entire body on the surface of the water. He was about 8"-10" long.

So baby banded water snake or baby moccasin?

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    looks like a gray rat snake, or chicken snake, there several variations. too slender to be a water moc

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Rat snake, pine snake, not poisionous

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep. I have a 5 footer that hangs around here. It's the largest rat snake of any kind that I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is definitely a gray rat snake. It is also a hatchling, meaning that it is less than a month old so look around you might come across some more. I once had 36 eggs fall out of a bale of peat moss so I incubated them and hatched all 36, 12 at a time every two weeks. I wish I had taken a pic of that many at one time it was something to see. I turned some loose and gave some away and even sold some to some of the pet shops. They make cool pets lol

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Probably some type of rat snake.

Round pupil = non-venomous, with the exception of the coral snake.
    The coral snake is the only venomous snake in our area that has round pupils but their coloring and patterning make them unmistakable from any other: "red touching yellow kills a fellow".

Another sure way to tell is to check the scales on the bottom of the tail behind the anal plate... but that would require handling the snake, which is a really good way to get bitten if it's still alive.
    See this link for reference:
    http://www.virginiaherpetologicalso.../copperhead-look-a-likes/images/snaketail.jpg

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yepper, rat snake...too bad it was extinguished.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Some people's attitude toward these creatures will evidently change for the better when they grow up. Hopefully the "kill 'em all attitude will change with age. I know it did in my case. ---SAWMAN

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some people's attitude toward these creatures will evidently change for the better when they grow up. Hopefully the "kill 'em all attitude will change with age. I know it did in my case. ---SAWMAN

Had he not had his entire body on top of the water when he was swimming I would have lifted him out of the pool and let him go. I'm not a kill them all kind of person. Just moved out here to the woods about a year ago so I am figuring things out as I go. Next time I'll post pics first then make a decision.

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When in doubt, I usually grab my camera and a shovel. The camera has much better zoom than a phone camera. I get a couple shots of the head/eyes.

Then I use the display screen in the camera to zoom in on the eyes.
    If the pupils are slotted, of with his head!
    If the pupils are round, I'll either chase them away or move them.

When I first moved to my last house in Beulah, I was pretty clueless on snake ID and I had a definite phobia of all snakes.
    Now I can let the nonvenomous snakes be without killing them. But I'm still not touching one, dead or alive!

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Had he not had his entire body on top of the water when he was swimming I would have lifted him out of the pool and let him go. I'm not a kill them all kind of person. Just moved out here to the woods about a year ago so I am figuring things out as I go. Next time I'll post pics first then make a decision.

don't sweat it, more to learn in the country than meets the eye, takes a while..

there will be a next time, for sure....wait til you find a king snake or corn snake....beautiful

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

No sweat, folks kill snakes outta fear......tons more out there. Here are a couple that have gotten free passes from me! I won't kill a rattler, but mocs and copperheads fall victims!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd07B9z9Buo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57BKsLLfaJo

Top Bottom