• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking to get a new pistol for USPSA. Pretty well sold on the CZ line. I currently have a Tristar T120 and love the ergonomics on it, but the trigger isn't up to snuff. Found out the parts aren't as interchangable with the CZ-75 as I first thought, so I figured I'd get a real CZ.

Problem is, there are so many variants that I am really confused about which one would be best. I plan to keep shooting in Limited because of the round count limitation. Just torn between a 75B, SP-01, 85 combat, or some other model. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you want to be competitive (or at least on a level playing field) in Limited with a CZ, your only real option is the Tactical Sport (TS) in .40. It's got a larger frame than the 75/85/SP-01, therefore it has a greater magazine capacity. With the right mags/basepads/springs, you can get 20-21 rounds in the TS magazines. Shooting 9mm in Limited is a severe disadvantage due to the Minor Power Factor scoring.

The smaller frame CZ's, like the 75/85/SP-01, are better suited for Production or possibly Limited 10, if chambered in .40 (hardly anyone shoots in Limited 10).

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info. I really only want to be competitive against myself. I know the. 40 would help with the power factor, but I also want to stick with one size for ammo and our other guns are all 9mm. My main question was about the differences in the variants of the 75 line.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks for the info. I really only want to be competitive against myself. I know the. 40 would help with the power factor, but I also want to stick with one size for ammo and our other guns are all 9mm. My main question was about the differences in the variants of the 75 line.

75B - short dust cover, tapered slide, lower beavertail, smaller magazine release, firing pin block, 16rnd magazines
    85 Combat - pretty much the same as the 75B, except ambidextrous controls. May also have adjustable sights.
    SP-01 - long/railed dust cover, upswept beavertail, larger magazine release, firing pin block, full profile slide, 18rnd magazines

Shadow - there are several variants of Shadow. They typically match up with their non-Shadow counterparts, except they have the upswept beavertail, larger mag release, don't have a firing pin block, they have the full profile slide, fiber optic front and black rear sight, come with 3 magazines, and the trigger is generally better out of the box.

I think those are the high points. If you'd like more specifics, ask away.

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I actually have a line on a very nice SP-01 that already has all the trigger work done to it. Think I will try to get it.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I actually have a line on a very nice SP-01 that already has all the trigger work done to it. Think I will try to get it.

Oh, I forgot to mention that there is an SP-01 and an SP-01 Tactical. The Tactical version has a decocker instead of a safety. Some people prefer the decocker, but I don't think there are as many options for improving the trigger. Plus you're allowed to start cocked and locked in Limited if you have a safety, so that's an advantage.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also some nice cz clones. Love my uspsa gun. .
    1a4bd4281fdad3426dbf363ed16d4459.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice!

My Tristar is a nice gun but I'm just having a hard time getting used to the trigger. Not that it's bad, but I think the really soft break causes me to jerk it left and down. I'm sure at least 90% of the problem is me, but I've put close to 700 rounds through it and still can't hit what I'm aiming at half the time. The SP-01 I'm looking at is the one I shot in my first match last month. Did a lot better with it than I did with my gun this month. From the first shot I was dead on with it.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice!

My Tristar is a nice gun but I'm just having a hard time getting used to the trigger. Not that it's bad, but I think the really soft break causes me to jerk it left and down. I'm sure at least 90% of the problem is me, but I've put close to 700 rounds through it and still can't hit what I'm aiming at half the time. The SP-01 I'm looking at is the one I shot in my first match last month. Did a lot better with it than I did with my gun this month. From the first shot I was dead on with it.

tanfoglio limited 40. got this from another member. single action great trigger, 20 rd mags. eats all the different ammo I have put thru it. I can draw with closed eyes and open them to find my sights are on target. ( doesn't happen, when I try with my glock 34) This style of gun just works for me. looking to go CZ in IDPA soon to have the same platform. I also had to get the cz education from "the guys" your in good hands. best of luck

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picking up the SP-01 in the morning on the way to the range. Now I just need to figure out how to tell my wife I bought another gun! She likes shooting too, so maybe she'll be OK with it if I give her the Tristar!

TactiNormal

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll have to second the recommendation for the CZ TS. Very reliable and accurate. If you get the CZ extended basepad and their follower (or just get the complete assembled magazine) you can get 21+1 in the gun easily and shoot Limited with a cost of entry 1/2 that of the STI guys.

Word of caution though, they are not as customizable as a 2011 platform gun. Outside of major $$$ and custom fabrication what you see is what you get, which is ok cause they are awesome!

http://czcustom.com/czc-ts-40-s-w-140mm-mag-czc-21-rounds.html

Edit: Get the 40. All it takes to convert most of the CZ pattern guns to 9mm is a barrel. Mags will usually interchange, I've measured the feed lips between my 9mm and 40 mags and they are the same width for the CZ OEM mag as well as the MecGar mags.

IMG_5378.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5378.jpg
      IMG_5378.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 109
    Last edited:

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My budget wouldn't allow for a TS, but I'm very happy with the SP-01 I picked up from wags68. He made some nice upgrades to it and the trigger is amazing. He also converted it to SAO and FO front sight. I put a few mags through it yesterday and love it. Looking forward to shooting the ECPS match in Sept with it. I think August is going to be too hot for me !

Top Bottom