HD Tactical

Best Bullet placement to take down BB (Black bear)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kneel4zodd

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i am quite new to hunting and i want o get all the facts down, BB's are very tough so i will like to be prepared. i hear hunters always have a carry gun to shoot their self on the head if a black bear gets too close(i wouldn't want that to happen to me LOLZ) i have a nice Colt 901 rifle and i believe is enough fire power for bb hunting, i also have a very nice Nf nxs 55 scope mounted on the rifle so i think that's covered too. please can anyone tell me their practical experience and best bullet placement, Thanks.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    After I retired from the military I became a Master Maine Guide. I guided bear,deer,moose,coyotes,and believe it or not . . . crows,for the next 20 years or so.
    From an elevated position with your firearm at least 12' above the ground . . . very high on the shoulder. Standing at ground level or sitting in a ground blind . . . square on the shoulder.
    NEVER take a spine and especially a head shot. Use a 308Win or bigger. A big caliber (bore size) is better. A 45-70 is primo. A WFNGC is more primo. No pistol calibers unless it is a 454Casull or close to that. A 45LC heavily loaded and coming out of 6+ inches of bbl is "OK".
    At the shot,keep an eye on the bear as long as possible. Keep completely quiet and listen.
    Bear are super tough critters. More gun than needed is mo-bedda. Shooting a tough bullet (NosBalTip or solid copper) is much mo-bedda. --- SAWMAN

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    well since most ammo comes in a box of 20, I put the first 6 where Sawman said, the other 14 in the box could be strategically placed from the vitals up to the cranium as you carefully approach the downed bear. lol

kneel4zodd

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After I retired from the military I became a Master Maine Guide. I guided bear,deer,moose,coyotes,and believe it or not . . . crows,for the next 20 years or so.
    From an elevated position with your firearm at least 12' above the ground . . . very high on the shoulder. Standing at ground level or sitting in a ground blind . . . square on the shoulder.
    NEVER take a spine and especially a head shot. Use a 308Win or bigger. A big caliber (bore size) is better. A 45-70 is primo. A WFNGC is more primo. No pistol calibers unless it is a 454Casull or close to that. A 45LC heavily loaded and coming out of 6+ inches of bbl is "OK".
    At the shot,keep an eye on the bear as long as possible. Keep completely quiet and listen.
    Bear are super tough critters. More gun than needed is mo-bedda. Shooting a tough bullet (NosBalTip or solid copper) is much mo-bedda. --- SAWMAN

thanks a lot sawman. you are a pro no doubt

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    we have always went with 300gr projectiles to the brain.
    but this was done in the bayou and a few north of brewton.
    on limbless trees with climbers within 30yrds of BB
    if your worthy of an accurate rifle, its bad-ass DRT.
    we also went to the center chest area, if we had to.....2nd shot if needed,
    which was very rare.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Black bear,suspected/possible record or otherwise, are measured/scored by the distance around the skull. I have seen some nice skulls destroyed by a head shot. BTW ..... 20 inches is considered "big".
    The worse case of this that I have ever seen was a Maine bear hit square on the side of the skull with a 300 Wby Mag,from 40yds,shooting a 150gr handload. Not my sport,but a buddys. It was ugly. ---SAWMAN

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any animal I am hunting I will put the first bullet through the pump station (lungs/heart). It is extremely hard for an animal to keep running when they have blood coming out the holes, the hydrostatic shock done to the vitals, and coughing up blood as they are running. Now I am talking a hunting scenario not one that is about to mual you. I won't take high shoulder shots, I have shot a few animals that did not die from a high schoulder shot and I had to get down and put a second round in them. Never been charged so I could not give any info on that.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if you have hunted the "bear" species, you would understand our experiances.
    this is not a 400lb boar hog.....or anything on 4 feet.
    an H/L shot would probably cauterize the outgoing exit wound because of muscle tendons our bear
    friends have. hindering your blood trail and time delay of shutdown.
    maybe one day you will experience it. good luck

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if you have hunted the "bear" species, you would understand our experiances.
    this is not a 400lb boar hog.....or anything on 4 feet.
    an H/L shot would probably cauterize the outgoing exit wound because of muscle tendons our bear
    friends have. hindering your blood trail and time delay of shutdown.
    maybe one day you will experience it. good luck

I was just stating my experience on making high shoulder shots. I mean I wouldn't want to have to dispatch a bear a bear that didn't die from a high shoulder shot. All my friends that hunt bear in CO and Alaska always make heart lung shots and never have a problem whether they are using bow or rifle. Yeah I haven't hunted the bear species but I wouldn't want to have to dispatch one from a mess up on a high shoulder shot. And I am not saying don't shoot them in the shoulder I am saying make sure that projectile ends up going through the vitals.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I hunt deer in Georgia during bear season. For years I have used various 300 Blackout rifles and have taken many deer and hogs. If I were to see a bear, I should:

A. Take a picture and not a shot.

B. Shoot for the brain.

C. Kick myself for not carrying something with more power.

D. Do not tell Sawman I saw a bear so I will not have to endure his comments.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It is a well known fact that the 300BLK has the power of a Red Rider BB gun that has been SBR'ed. So no . . .not with that gun.
    It is also a well known fact that a 6.8SPCII will quite a easily kill anything on the face of the earth. PLUS . . . some gun guru once said that it is the #1 choice for killin' stuff in tha AR platform. Sooooooo . . . .
    NOW . . . if you feel that you might need a little extra firepower I have a 458Lott or a 416Rigby that you can borrow. They both need to be sighted in. About 10-12 shots each should do it.
    WCS ----> What is the Gaw-Ja state record for black bear ?? One will step out in front of you at 34yds that is 1lb heavier or 1in. bigger. And there you sit . . . . . with your Red Rider SBR. OUCH !!! ---SAWMAN

Top Bottom