• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • salty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello all I'm a new member here. I've come to a point in my life where even I can recognize(as my other half has said maybe once or twice).....I have enough already! Ha. I always thought the proper amount was whatever you currently own + at least one more.

Anyway as I begin to set aside a few rifles and handguns I'm ok with letting go it dawns on me I have always done sales with people I know really well/family. In this day and age I just can't get out of my head potentially selling to someone who truly shouldn't own one. That's not up to me to decide I know, but I can control that at least they are known to a successful NICS check. Can we have a dealer do a NICS check for a private sale? Meet up with a local buyer and once they decide they want it then pick a dealer and get it done that way? It's amazing I have never thought of this, but since my stable of guns has been subjected to family/friends sales/trades it's never been an issue.

Perhaps I'm too paranoid, but I'd just assume not ever sell a gun if I happened to put it in the hands of a 'no bueno' scenario i.e. disaster waiting to happen. I've met and made some of the greatest friendships and relationships in my life through hunting and shooting sports, but that doesn't make me blind to the pit in my stomach I'd have if I ever sold one to that one wrong person.

Thoughts?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You can certainly get an FFL dealer to perform the transfer for you, including the NICS check. The buyer will have to fill out a 4473 just like they were buying the firearm from teh dealer. Generally the FFL will charge between $15-$35 as a fee for doing the paperwork.

salty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the response that is great to know. Makes sense they would do so, but I deal with the retail sales end so infrequently it's just never come up. Family and friends has been the majority of transactions over the years. Thanks again.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    You can do a little research and find out who near you is the cheapest. In the pensacola area a transfer can vary from $15 to around $50.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I have been very lucky selling guns. Not once have I had somebody come up that I felt uneasy about. I think it has to do with the kinds of guns you are selling as to what kind of person shows up.
    You are going to get a different clientele showing up for a S&W 19 versus a Tec 9.
    Not to say that everybody who wants a Tec 9 is a bad person. Some people just like owning different types of guns.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It's shouldn't be a problem for a local shop to do that. If you're actually in Tampa I'm guessing the shops there will be a little more on the expensive side. Make sure you know what your paying for ahead of time. I've heard of shops charging double(once to receive, once to the new owner) for the service. That's BS if they're doing that.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ccw holders have already gone through a background check so if you can verify that, I think you'd have pretty good odds that you are selling to an upstanding citizen

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been very lucky selling guns. Not once have I had somebody come up that I felt uneasy about. I think it has to do with the kinds of guns you are selling as to what kind of person shows up.
    You are going to get a different clientele showing up for a S&W 19 versus a Tec 9.
    Not to say that everybody who wants a Tec 9 is a bad person. Some people just like owning different types of guns.

On the other hand I have had one sale that kind of went sour and one I stopped because I got a bad vibe from the buyer. The one that went bad turned out OK but I was lied to so that particular person was called out by me in his circle of friends. Doubt anyone I know would sell him a used toothbrush. The sale I stopped made for some hard feelings but I stand on my decision and always will.

Just saying ultimately if you put one up for sale and something doesn't seem right, doesn't matter whether any else thinks otherwise, feel completely free to walk away.

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    ccw holders have already gone through a background check so if you can verify that, I think you'd have pretty good odds that you are selling to an upstanding citizen

That is true when going through the process of getting the permit but it is good for seven years. No telling what could happen during that time. I would say more then likely this would be a true statement but you never know. With that being said I've used it when making transactions.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    That is true when going through the process of getting the permit but it is good for seven years. No telling what could happen during that time. I would say more then likely this would be a true statement but you never know. With that being said I've used it when making transactions.
    If anything happens during those seven years, the permit would be revoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaxon1023

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If anything happens during those seven years, the permit would be revoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't mean they won't have it taken from their possession. You show up to sell the gun. Guy flashes his permit. Your on your way. Permit could be revoked but never taken.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    well there is being careful and doing your due diligence and then there is paranoid. I would not hesitate to sell or buy from a CC holder....I would not submit a birth certificate, dna sample, finger prints etc...I know I'm being sarcastic, but the point is I think you need to be careful and do what is reasonable but if it is a seriously big deal then maybe you don't sell at all.

Last edited:

budbreak96

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can look them up free on the internet if it's in Fl. I am about 99% sure. There are several places, Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement, The Clerk of the Court website, etc.. Like mentioned above, if I'm the seller and I have a feeling I will tell whoever I'm not interested and leave. Luckily I haven't had to deal with anyone that I felt like that, But EVERY Transaction wither I am buying or selling I have a Bill of Sale printed out and when selling/buying a firearm I ask if they have a ccp if not I get their drivers license and write down their information. There have been time's where I bought a gun and the person selling it didn't have a Bill of Sale But I always did and even though I was purchasing the gun I would have them sign it with their ccp on it and if they didn't want a copy that was fine. When I purchase a firearm, My Father worked for F.D.L.E. for 30 years and I know how to use the site to make sure the weapon isn't stolen or whatever.

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can look them up free on the internet if it's in Fl. I am about 99% sure. There are several places, Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement, The Clerk of the Court website, etc..

FL CWP are handled by Dept of Agriculture. You cant search for the validity online.

If you are talking about a gun search, http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a

Clerk of the court has nothing to do with the state licensing or guns. Its public records, you cant search property, as in a gun, there. You can do a statewide criminal history search that's about it. (When it works. Most of the time you get a 1st exception error that gives you a 2nd exception error. So then the 1st exception error closes the page. Go figure.)
    Same as on the FL DOC website. http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/search.asp

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FL CWP information is a Public Record and specific Data can be requested. If you meet certin criteria, you can opt out and your CWP information will be restricted from release to the public.

Unless you live in a location with oppressive gun laws, Fed laws apply and if your don't know of any buyer disqualifying information you can legally make the sale. That is the minimum standard and there is no requirement for any form of transaction record. Many of us prefer a bit more information to document the purchase or disposition of a firearm in the event it becomes a item being traced. Pro gun people always say don't blame the gun, blame the criminal. Same thought process should apply here but we do B.O.S. and get ID in case the firearm becomes the subject of an investigation. Obviously after the sale we have no control of it but we don't have any legal responsibility for it either.

Steve@JCA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Best bet will most likely be whatever dealer you have regularly used over the years. A FDLE or NICS check is one thing, since it's just a phone call, but you also have to consider that an FFL holder falls under laws (which carry assumed legal liability as far as the BATFE is concerned . . . as they happily tell you during your initial inspection visit when you get your license) that do not apply to you as a private citizen. For this reason, some seem to be reluctant to handle person to person transfers done by people who have never patronized their business.

budbreak96

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FL CWP are handled by Dept of Agriculture. You cant search for the validity online.

If you are talking about a gun search, http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a

Clerk of the court has nothing to do with the state licensing or guns. Its public records, you cant search property, as in a gun, there. You can do a statewide criminal history search that's about it. (When it works. Most of the time you get a 1st exception error that gives you a 2nd exception error. So then the 1st exception error closes the page. Go figure.)
    Same as on the FL DOC website. http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/search.asp

Glad to have you around, Don't know how I would have made it all these year's without your "Great" information.
    Thanks by the way

Top Bottom