• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Looking to start a pistol build and wanted to get some insight from you guys who have already assembled and shot em. It will be a 556 build with a 10.5"-12" barrel, unless a 7.5" is better. As far as pistol tube and cover I'm quite open. I like the Shockwave but I'm sure there are others.
    I imagine parts quality is the same with rifle parts. Thanks for the input. JW

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Two important things to know are: 1.What chambering ?? 2. What will it's primary use be ?? --- SAWMAN
    Added: Sorry ... I see now 5.56X45 .....

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Important answers:
    1. 556
    2. HD/Range (already have hunting covered but maybe)

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really liked the idea of them. I built a 7.5" one and had fun with it for a while but it was almost a novelty in my eyes. Didn't like the short LOP (didn't like the looks of the SIG brace and the shockwave wasn't around then) and the muzzle blast/blowback got old pretty quick.
    It was a cool toy though and as reliable as any other AR I've ever had.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Made, what tube cover is that? I guess my thought is a truck gun as well, I know it won't replace a good rifle.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    10.5" PSA upper. New Frontier polymer stripped lower (because that was all I could get at the time) with PSA pistol build kit. MOE AFG and SIG brace. I think the handguard is YHM. It came on the upper. Cheap BSA red dot. Lots of fun. Practical? Individual choice. I got a used Lantac Dragon brake from TennJeep just so it would make more noise and roll a larger fireball but it does a good job on muzzle rise. Mine serves as backup HD for the far end of the house. I maybe would make it a truck gun if I could figure out how to hide it in a Yukon.

1129151156.jpg

Attachments

• 1129151156.jpg
      1129151156.jpg
      411 KB · Views: 371

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    10.5". Eothingy and 3x are a Pro now. Just dont have any new pics.
    20151003_210836.jpg

Attachments

• 20151003_210836.jpg
      20151003_210836.jpg
      395.3 KB · Views: 422

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    This is Paul Buffoni's answer, and why I chose what I did for my newest AR.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1467328218.018620.jpg
    "Q: Why BCM chose the 11.5" SBR over the 10.5"
    I get this question a lot. It is a good one. When we spec our program we can build anything we would like, so we sat down and looked at the pros and cons.
    First Statement: I know a good 10.5" SBR can run very well. I personally own a semi MK18 type and it runs great. No problems.
    A: Dwell time.
    Dwell time is the time that your gas operated weapon maintains pressure to continue the cycling of the weapon. It primarily exsists from the time the bullet passes the gas port in the barrel to the time the bullet exits the muzzle. When you pull the trigger and fire the weapon the movement of the bolt carrier group unlocks the bolt, extracts, and ejects the spent casing. Then it cocks the weapon, feeds, chambers the next round, and then locks again. One of the thing that can make SBRs finicky is the dwell time (or lack of).
    The 11.5" carbine is approximately 4% longer weapon than its' 10.5" counterpart, but this extra inch gives the barrel a 40% increase in length for dwell time. IMHO, this is an excellent trade off. This additional dwell time (all other things being equal) will allow the carbine to be more forgiving to different ammo types, extremes in air temperature, weak or worn extractor springs, worn extractors, buffer weights, etc.
    Last Statement: For those folks who have a 10.5" that works very well, I would reply; me too. (see first statement)
    If I had to "go to war" with a AR15 Carbine, I would grab the BCM 11.5".
    The BCM 11.5" Runs Like a Dream.
    Hope this info helps,
    Paul"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1467328218.018620.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1467328218.018620.jpg
      33.3 KB · Views: 369
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I really liked the idea of them. I built a 7.5" one and had fun with it for a while but it was almost a novelty in my eyes. Didn't like the short LOP (didn't like the looks of the SIG brace and the shockwave wasn't around then) and the muzzle blast/blowback got old pretty quick.
    It was a cool toy though and as reliable as any other AR I've ever had.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Now, this is an AR pistol. Great choice going with the Thordsen Cheek Rest kit. I recommend a 5.56 7.5" barrel for the AR pistol. I had one of which I added the Noveske KX-3. The KX-5 is a good choice too. An true AR pistol is a good HD weapon and a nice range toy. I am not a fan of the braces/supports. Most guys use these as stocks and that is not the purpose for which they were designed, nor to be used. The Thordsen kit will work on a carbine buffer tube or even a pistol tube. It really is designed to be used with a standard carbine buffer tube. If I was going to be building another AR pistol (which I may be doing), I would be using the 7.5" barrel and the Thordsen Cheek Rest kit. One thing you do want is a decent red-dot optic on it for quick and easy target acquisition.

CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have enjoyed mine!
    I pack mine in my duck boat to hunt hogs after the ducks quit flying.
    223 hog hammer - killed 3 last year.
    Spikes upper/lower W/ 7.5 barrel

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      110.7 KB · Views: 345

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mine is a 6.8, 8.5" barrel, have all the ammo I need and it made sense to me. HD and hunting 100yrds works great w scope red dot or halo sight.

Attachments

• PICT0810.JPG
      PICT0810.JPG
      30.1 KB · Views: 321
    • PICT0456.JPG
      PICT0456.JPG
      45.5 KB · Views: 329

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks for the ideas fellas. I'm leaning towards the 556 just because that's what I have ammo in. I have shot a couple 300blk and liked em, especially the subs. I'm just not wanting to stock another caliber right now.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    While ARs were designed to use a long barrel and 556 was designed to do it's thing at high velocities, it is good to go, even at reduced velocities depending on bullet selection. 556 achieves reliable fragmentation above 2700 fps, below that, you have to look for other wounding mechanisms such as expansion or tumbling. Fwiw, if you want to go less than 11.5, or even 10.5, there's some GREAT piston uppers. PWS comes to mind. The Diablo is SWEET. LWRC is also a good bet.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really need to get on this band wagon. Been wanting one for years, but just to darn cheap.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    While ARs were designed to use a long barrel and 556 was designed to do it's thing at high velocities, it is good to go, even at reduced velocities depending on bullet selection. 556 achieves reliable fragmentation above 2700 fps, below that, you have to look for other wounding mechanisms such as expansion or tumbling. Fwiw, if you want to go less than 11.5, or even 10.5, there's some GREAT piston uppers. PWS comes to mind. The Diablo is SWEET. LWRC is also a good bet.
    I lean towards a longer barrel for this reason and I don't particularly like the look of the 7.5". But that's just preference.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    A 7.5 is also absolutely STUPID loud. If you're gonna use it in a pinch (meaning fast deployment and not have a chance to retrieve double ear protection), you might as well hold a flash bang with your teeth and let'er rip! Lol.

Top Bottom