• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi guys, just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with "inexpensive" AR15s. I have been looking at the Del-Ton sport and some PSA stuff.
    I'm looking to pick up something for just plinking about with acceptable accuracy and more importantly, reliability.
    The DelTon lacks the M4 feed ramps but I'm not sure that's a deal breaker. I like the pencil barrel and the lightweight. No need for rails and fancy stuff for me, just like the plain Jane CAR15 style.
    As far as PSA, it seems like I can piece together one for right around $500 same as the DelTon. Just a question of the stuff in stock.

Anyhow any opinions or leads on other mfg are welcome. Just keep in mind I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible. Right around the $500 mark.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    You'd be good with a PSA build kit, just not the PTAC line. Also check radical firearms for an upper and/or primaryarms.com for parts and such. Good luck on the build.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    PSA stuff is just fine as long as it doesn't say PTAC anywhere in the advertisement just like JWlineman said above. I have several with zero issues. As far as PSA "blem" stuff, most of the time you cannot find the blemish. I had one blem stripped lower that the black coating inside the magwell was a little light. Never found a blemish in the other half dozen or so.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So what does the PTAC stuff mean? I read on there that it is a defect of sorts? The blemish stuff I wouldn't have an issue with at all since I would end up scratching and denting it anyway. But would definately want to stay away from forging or other structural defects. Thanks for the replies gents

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I Love the PSA stuff for the money .

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If it is just for you then cheap is OK, they will mostly all shoot fine especially for plinking, if you plan to sell it I would go with better known brands, no delton or the cheap line PSA(their better stuff is good to go).

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So what does the PTAC stuff mean? I read on there that it is a defect of sorts? The blemish stuff I wouldn't have an issue with at all since I would end up scratching and denting it anyway. But would definately want to stay away from forging or other structural defects. Thanks for the replies gents
    Generally the PTAC is just cheaper fit/finish, but for the money, you're better off with their better stuff. It's the little extra money you'll spend. But again, there are other options outside PSA too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    my under a 100 yard ar is a decant lower with a good trigger and what I would call a cheap upper ; carbon 15 bushmaster w/pencil barrel and a cheap Bushnell reddot. I use it in local match's, light fast / 2000 rounds no failures and keeps up with the $2000 rifles. that is the total sum of my ar experience.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    PSA premium upper with a quality BCG on a generic aluminum lower will run just fine.
    However, you can do a basic BCM upper on a generic lower, or a complete stripped Colt rifle for just a few dollars more. If your main concern is reliability, that's the way I'd go.
    Reason being that all the magic happens in your gas block, bolt and barrel, so don't skimp of those. Good luck.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

The PTAC products are made off-site by PTAC (Practical Tactical AR Parts). PSA has controlling interest in and is the sole retailer for them.

"Columbia, S.C. (September 23, 2014)- Palmetto State Armory is very proud to announce that its partnership with Practical Tactical AR Parts has grown into an absorption of the discount firearms parts manufacturer. Over the past year PSA has developed a strong relationship with the P-Tac team and has grown to have a healthy respect of the company’s quality and price structure. The benefit of this absorption for both parties is that now P-Tac can be offered on a national stage under the Palmetto State Armory umbrella and will come with a full warranty as is offered to all customers of PSA name brand products and PSA can now offer a full line of quality parts at manufacturer pricing! CEO Jamin McCallum commented on the absorption saying “It is going to be very exciting to merge Palmetto State Armory’s creative vision with Practical Tactical’s bargain pricing on some huge projects we have coming out very soon!”

The quality is hit and miss. My brother had a PTAC AR a few years ago and it worked fine. Others have not been so fortunate. I highly recommend sticking with the PSA Freedom or Premium line of products. As you will see, PSA upper assemblies and rifle kits are getting scarce right now. There has been a huge surge in AR related sales over the past several weeks. It is still quite possible to get and upper assembly or rifle kit, but the pickings are slim. If you are just looking to have a basic AR, then you have several choices available from PSA.

Here is a nice PSA rifle kit.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-stainless-mid-length-1-7-freedom-rifle-kit.html

All you need is a lower receiver and a rear sight. You can add an optic of some sort if you like.

Here is one of the M4A1 Premium kits that are on sale right now.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/16-m4a1-chrome-lined-mp-tested-rifle-kit.html

My advice, if you are wanting to get an AR for a decent price, then buy now. DO NOT hesitate.

As far as "blems" are concerned, it is usually associated with some imperfections in the anodizing. I have bought a few blem lowers over the past few years and have not been able to find the blems. Never had any issues with them. Great way to save money and not sacrifice quality.

James

Last edited:

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great info James, thanks. As you said the issue with PSA right now is trying to find stuff in stock. I may go with a DTI rifle as I have read good things on them too.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Great info James, thanks. As you said the issue with PSA right now is trying to find stuff in stock. I may go with a DTI rifle as I have read good things on them too.

I have used many DTI products (lowers, uppers, barreled assemblies, BCGs, etc.) over the years and I have always been very satisfied with their stuff.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Both of the items Tackleberry listed are already sold out. So glad I ordered my upper the day before the Dallas cop killings or I too might be out of luck!

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Both of the items Tackleberry listed are already sold out. So glad I ordered my upper the day before the Dallas cop killings or I too might be out of luck!

It certainly is not taking long these days for many things to sell out. It seems like there are several companies that are experiencing high volumes of sales on anything associated with ARs.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    For a range toy you will bang a handful of times a year and never put a case of ammo through, you'll be fine with PSA or S&W Sport line.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For a range toy you will bang a handful of times a year and never put a case of ammo through, you'll be fine with PSA or S&W Sport line.

^^^Agreed both are good choices!^^^ FWIW, I have a gen 1 S&W Sport that has a lot more than a case through it! More than 500 rds of crappy steel case Tula have been through it as well with zero problems! I would also add the Ruger AR-556 to the PSA and S&W Sport for a solid economy AR option. Just my .02 worth.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought an elcheapo kit from PSA, sent it back and paid more for a premium kit, didn't like the painted looking finish.

Rick

Top Bottom