• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like a quick way to go to jail if your talking about the devices that pop up on Google.
    Damn some of those are straight up suppressors with "Solvent Cups" instead of baffles. haha what the hell.
    Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Solvent trap=not illegal.

Having all the pieces readily available to convert into a suppressor=illegal without proper paper work.

I'm considering building one soon. Of course I wont be ordering ANY pieces, even the "solvent trap", until after the form 1 clears.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's weird. Never heard if them. Not interested in owning one but will be doing some reading about them.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you seen the MidwayUSA commercial of Larry Potterfield cleaning a rifle with a bottle on the end to catch cleaning solution, debris and patches? That's the jist of a solvent trap.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO ..... unneeded,unnecessary.
    I have better sense than to clean my guns on our maple dinner table. --- SAWMAN

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually own one with an oil filter on it. The preported use is to pour solvent down the barrel through the chamber then to use a bore brush like a hand pump to pull solvent up into the bore as you scrub it out. They of course look something like the oil filter or can suppressor attachment that is serial numbered and has a mfg name engraved on it, that also has a $200 tax and a filing form registered with the ATF. The solvent trap is legal to own but absolutely illegal to shoot through. If someone was to shoot through one I doubt they could get rid of the residue in the aluminum. So if you own one, my advice is to never use it for a suppressor unless you first modify it (name and number) and register it to be legal.
    Ed

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Solvent trap=not illegal.

Having all the pieces readily available to convert into a suppressor=illegal without proper paper work.

I'm considering building one soon. Of course I wont be ordering ANY pieces, even the "solvent trap", until after the form 1 clears.

Yes I talked to the ATF before about this and if you have parts avab for an SBR, Suppressor type device, Etc and not put in for a Form 1 Tax Stamp you are breaking the law. Be careful out there and what you post on here they are watching!!!

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Somehow Ken I think you misunderstood the instructions for a Form 1 suppressor device, easy to do, we can own all of the parts at one time, they just can not be put together and Be Functional, until we get approval of the Form 1. Example, we have the end caps, tube and baffles but the end caps can not be drilled. Then in stages we get the tube engraved only after approval and then we drill the end caps after the tube is legal and put the suppressor together as operational, legally. We can never just file and build. The device is not functional if it has no holes for a bullet to pass through it, exactly like the solvent trap. If it did not work that way no one could sell us parts because they stock the parts together, the parts are just not functional even put together unless you alter them.

I have cans I have bought and cans I have made, all legal, so I have years of experiance with the ATF not only as a builder, but also as a dealer and Class III owner.
    Ed

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Somehow Ken I think you misunderstood the instructions for a Form 1 suppressor device, easy to do, we can own all of the parts at one time, they just can not be put together and Be Functional, until we get approval of the Form 1. Example, we have the end caps, tube and baffles but the end caps can not be drilled. Then in stages we get the tube engraved only after approval and then we drill the end caps after the tube is legal and put the suppressor together as operational, legally. We can never just file and build. The device is not functional if it has no holes for a bullet to pass through it, exactly like the solvent trap. If it did not work that way no one could sell us parts because they stock the parts together, the parts are just not functional even put together unless you alter them.

I have cans I have bought and cans I have made, all legal, so I have years of experiance with the ATF not only as a builder, but also as a dealer and Class III owner.

Ed

Same here I have gave the ATF $200 ten times now. Not new to me either... I just don't push the limits. Especially when the ATF can't give you a straight answer. Good luck out there.

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Ed

I don't plan on buying one but as I looked at them online they are built exactly the way many suppressors for sale I have seen online like some Gemtech ones. I really don't see the need for a " Solvent Trap" and I'm assuming they are not selling them for that purpose otherwise why center drill the holes in every part you would have to drill to make it a functional suppressor? I have watch videos of them as legal suppressors and they sure do seem to get the job done. It just seemed odd to me that they haven't been shut down by the ATF. I also thought after the shooting in Orlando , " What if the guy was using a slide fire stock and was spraying bullet like an Automatic." How long do you think it would be before they were illegal?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    When my first Form 1 suppressor was made, readily available metal parts that could be finished/machined/drilled/shortened/threaded to work in a suppressor weren't out there much that I was aware of. While I could make the baffles from washers (put them in a large socket, insert a 50cal AP core into the small hole in the center and squeeze the whole thing in a vise to both open up the center hole to the correct diameter and make the flat washer into the cone shape at the same time) (a few washers split/cracked with that technique), the tube and end caps were beyond my tools and expertise. For the tube and end caps, I had to pay someone to machine them to my specs while I was present. My spacers were cut from an old lawn chair frame with a hacksaw (I'd measured the thickness of the lawn chair frame and had the tube inside diameter cut to match). The outside of the thick tube I was able to get was also reduced in diameter to make it smaller to not obscure my front sight and lighter. A local trophy company engraved my info on the tube. Even with paying for some of the work, I still came out ahead.

With the availability of some solvent traps, making a Form 1 suppressor is a bit easier, and I applaud the ingenuity of people offering them. Could someone use the parts to make an illegal suppressor?...Sure they could, but then they will have broken the law.

PS Testing my Form 1 .22 cal suppressor, while quiet, I'd hear some "whizzing" sounds, and the bullets would miss the target whenever I heard a whizzing. Since I already owned a commercially produced suppressor, I called its maker and asked for help (AWC). What's the hole diameter you did? .225" (.001" on each side of the .22 rimfire bullet diameter). Too small AWC said; make them bigger, you'll never notice the difference in sound. I did, instantly the whizzing stopped, and accuracy returned. Wonder how many big time suppressor makers today would help a Form 1 suppressor maker over the phone?

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Question. Can you use say a 9mm hole with a .22 and still have it suppressed? Or do the holes have to be as close to the cal you are shooting? And if for safety's sake you drill the holes just a small bit larger would that work?

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is very common to use a larger caliber can for smaller rounds. Adds to the suppressors versatility. Granted there is some effeciency loss so it will be a tad louder then a properly sized hole. Your holes need to be a little larger then the bullet to prevent baffle strikes.

Check out the DIY suppressor section of ar15.com
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/55_Suppressors___Build_It_Yourself.html

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Question. Can you use say a 9mm hole with a .22 and still have it suppressed? Or do the holes have to be as close to the cal you are shooting? And if for safety's sake you drill the holes just a small bit larger would that work?

Yea I have the Gemtech Outback II a .22 suppressor. I also have the Gemtech Trinity (Multimount) 9mm suppressor. I have used the 9mm on a .22 quite often. Matter of fact the 9mm on a .22 platform is quieter because the 9mm can has a bigger area inside to hold gas. I would rather use the .22 can on a .22 because of it's size. It's like it not there.

I also own the Gemtech M4-02 .223 Suppressor and the YHM Ti-QD .30 rated to 300 win mag. I also use it on the .223 and it's just as quite as the dedicated one.

As long as the can can take the pressure and the bullet fits and you have the proper adapter go for it.

I just ordered the YHM 9mm sidewinder and it's states good for 300 Blackout Subs... Also ordered the AAC Ti-Rant .45. Why not. then I will have a suppressor for each platform. LOL I have the Gemtech Blackside .45 now.

Suppressors are great. I really don't like shooting without them.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Here's a link showing suppressor holes by caliber. https://www.solventtrap.net/rifle-kit-instructions/

RSCN3087.JPG Looking at the above chart and looking at my Form 1 suppressor, I made the holes bigger than they needed to be, but at that time I had no reference material. Mine is a bit larger in diameter than the 1" cans so common today so it may have a bit more internal space to help with suppressing. I feel it does a fine job of suppressing, about on par with a gen one Sparrow and a tiny bit more noise than a gen two Sparrow to my old ears. I just put a 9/32 drill bit into it, and the drill bit wobbles around and I can see daylight around the drill bit at the end cap, so that confirms the holes are bigger than today's standards.

PS That is the hole in the end cap with a .22 rim fire on top of it showing the bigger hole.

Attachments

• RSCN3087.JPG
      RSCN3087.JPG
      3.8 KB · Views: 170
    Last edited:

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A couple of things, the legal suppressor that uses the filters, oil and fuel filters has the connector from barrel to filter registered as a suppressor. The ATF allows a Form 1 can to be built as a multiple caliber can but must be registered under a single caliber listed on the form to match the engraving on the tube. I have two such cans with multiple sets of innards with a single tube. Most makers of cans today offer multi caliber cans. This basically comes from the use of larger holes to shoot smaller diameter bullets.

The situation with the 22 LR can is it must be cleanable because the 22 LR is very dirty.

By the way I have the press and forming dies to make domed baffles from freeze plugs as sold by JP Tactical on line.
    Ed

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Yep, if you possess the parts needed as-is to assemble a SBR, AOW, suppressor, or destructive device (DD) and a receiver they will fit on (in the case of SBR, AOW, or DD) and you have no legal way to use them as-is, you are in possession of an unregistered item.

Example: I have some AR15 type uppers with bbls less than 16" and a regular 16" bbl AR15 type rifle. However, I also own 2 other AR15 type lower receivers that are registered as SBR's (when mated with a short bbl upper). I can have the short bbl uppers because I have SBR lowers they can legally be used on. Likewise I could possess them if I had an AR15 type lower built as a pistol that they could be used on.

Example: I have some 26.5mm solid projectile rounds (not smoke or flares) I loaded. I have a 26.5mm flare launcher. Those rounds + flare launcher = unregistered destructive device. However, I Form 1 registered my RV-85 as a destructive device, so I have legal use for that combination. See http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1026 for a story and pic on this beauty. This reminds me, I need to shoot it more. A friend made some 26.5mm projectiles for me with his lathe.

"as-is" means no further drilling, cutting, shaping or machining is needed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom