• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife has expressed an interest in a G42. She has trouble racking the slide on the 9s.

Anyone in the Panama City area have one and be willing to meet us at the Bay County range so she can try one before we buy?

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you were near by you would be welcome to come by and try one, I have had or shoot I think just about every 380 made, the 42 is the best out there right now. has feed every thing I have put in it, recoil is good ,or light how every you want to put, I have it for the lady;s to try , I do a lot of ccw class, and have the 42,43, 23, 17, 33, and the shield in 9mm, 40cal comp. 9mm 40, and full size, j-s and k s in2in and 4in alone with a lot of other makes for the class for people to try. just my 5 cents jj

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Wanted one for my wife for her carry gun. Had her try a friends. She couldn't rack the slide properly.
    Was on the list for one under the Mil/LEO program. Got a call from Jerry's but declined the offer. Was $319. at the time. Probably a year or so ago now.
    Should have got it for myself.
    IMO .... the best .380 out there. --- SAWMAN

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The slides on the Sig compacts are very easy to rack but the Glock is good too.

Doge

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like CESwartz07 posted, it's really about technique. I'd also consider an M&P Shield 9mm as an option.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know you are looking at the 42 but the sig P238 is the best 380 on the market in my opinion. I have a 42 and a P238. The Sig is easier to shoot and racking the slide is effortless. Especially for women. Also it eats any and all ammo from dirt cheap to expensive defense ammo. The 42 has a stiffer spring but is not too hard to slide to me but the sig can nearly be done with one finger. You should look at one of those too before you buy. Plus it has a safety which usually makes for safer carry for those that may not be as experienced or for purse carry

Last edited:

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A friend of hers has the 238 and that is what got us to start looking at the 380 as she was able to rack it fine. She was not comfortable with the 1911 style platform of the 238. I should be picking up the 42 tomorrow for her to try (it belongs to a family member that is looking to move to the 43).

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got a G42 to replace my older BUG. Wife confiscated it after her first range session with it. It has become the alternate to her G27 dependingon dress. I've returned to the IAI .380 Backup, hoping she will give it back before I buy another one. Got mine via Glock Blue Lable Program. G42 (2 mags) + 1 extra, check and taxes= $398 OTD. I've seen Net base prices at $378 but not very often. G42 is still in high demand as reflected by the "Used Market" prices.

Nothing is faster and simpler then point and shoot if that is the priority!

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Asking price is $400 with two mags, box, and two holsters (no idea mfr etc.) $400 seems to be about the price on Gunbroker for NIB but then you have shipping and ffl transfer.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    2 Mags come in the factory box. Bonus is the holsters but true value is in the brand, type and if you/wife can use them. At $400 you are in "new" G42 OTD price depending on taxes. If the used G42 is in execelent condition: function and appearance, you are okay. IMHO.

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Decided to pass on it. It was throwing brass directly back at her. Not just 1 or 2 rounds, all of them. Is this typical for the 42 or possibly just this one?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Decided to pass on it. It was throwing brass directly back at her. Not just 1 or 2 rounds, all of them. Is this typical for the 42 or possibly just this one?

High quality defense loads toss right, slightly up and land within 3 ft circle. Cheap stuff like what I got at the gun show in 50 round plastic bags: tossed brass to the side but all over the place, even had two rounds that barely cleared the port and danced on the top of the slide for a sec.

Depending on load, grip and recoil impulse, pistols angle/axis as ejection occurs.

What did it do when you shot it? Is she a new pistol shooter that may need more instruction and practice?

Top Bottom