• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This year a friend and I are going to try our hand at a bird field. We have access to some really nice property and noticed a lot of birds at our feeders during deer season. This place has a nice mix... pond/water, sand areas, tall pines... so we figured why not put some brown top millet in.

We have lots of pasture areas to choose from, we settled on an area next to the pond surrounded by tall pine. In the am, we are going to mark off an area, I'm thinking about 5-8 acres, and spray to kill the grass/weeds. We figured let it sit two weeks and hit it again before trying to break any ground. This method always worked well for deer plots, figured go with it.

There will only be four or five of us hunting so we don't need a tremendous size field... if it goes well this year, maybe expand next year. I'll try to get some pics to post. Our season won't open until the first weekend in October so we have plenty of time.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I wanted to do the dove field thing at my club some years ago,however the seasons are pretty much during deer season and the club did not want all the shooting,which is understandable. I have two good sized plots that would be perfect for this also.

Seems that when I checked into this there were some restrictions as to either/or what you plant or what can and cannot be done to the millet prior to opening of the season. I did plant a small patch of brown top millet just to see how it would grow and I came up great and had huge seed pods.

Suggest that you check for any kind of restrictions before planting. --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I wanted to do the dove field thing at my club some years ago,however the seasons are pretty much during deer season and the club did not want all the shooting,which is understandable. I have two good sized plots that would be perfect for this also.

Seems that when I checked into this there were some restrictions as to either/or what you plant or what can and cannot be done to the millet prior to opening of the season. I did plant a small patch of brown top millet just to see how it would grow and I came up great and had huge seed pods.

Suggest that you check for any kind of restrictions before planting. --- SAWMAN

Good points... according to one of our deputy friends, who came to us from FWC, so long as it is grown on site we are good to go. There seems to be some discussion as to whether or not growing it (millet) and then mowing it to scatter seed is illegal... some are of the opinion the remaining seed must be the result of ag. harvest/process... but I will double check Monday when I see my friend. I will ask him to double check for any updated legal opinions.

This ranch is some 3500 acres I have exclusive access to. The owners have grown tired of the bickering and nonsense hunting leases tend to bring... they have given me free run of the place for a couple years now and have been extremely generous in their offerings.

What started out some five years ago with me asking to hunt coyote, and being told no, has developed into a good deal and friendship. A case of not taking ANYTHING for granted and demonstrating one can be an excellent steward of the land even though one does not own it...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah .... thinking on your last post,seems what I heard had something to do with the standing millet and what could be done to it WHE<,in relation to the opening of the season. And yeah,the FWC guys would be the ones to ask and/or get the "blessing" of.

When in Maine and guiding,I gained the permission of quite a few property owners out of my obvious respect for them,what they did,and their property. I was only told "NO" on a couple occasions. Most of the time the woodchuck hunting and coyote calling would eventually turn into bear,deer,and moose. I would help them with the security of the property. I helped them round up their "escaped" livestock. I even helped them with their fences and gates.

Not including the paper companies,I had about 6,000A of private property that I could hunt on and even guide on. Only a couple of the landowners would want a extremely small "cut" of the money that I was paid for guiding. At the end of each year I would get each landowner a gift card from Tractor Supply or a FRM type CO-OP. --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    OK... I'll try to keep this as a running update and see where it goes...

We got off to a good start... we sprayed twice and got good coverage... in a week or so, we will spray again most likely.

Overall view of the spot we picked out... should hold five hunters with no issues...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Looks like a great place for the incoming doves. Don't know what you use for a grass killer but I have had great success with HDX from Home Depot. EXACT same ingrediants as Round-Up but costs about 1/2 as much.

I used to have a buddy that worked for CSX Railroad and he would get me some of the stuff that they spray along the edge of the tracks. That stuff would kill absolutely anything.

Time to break out the old 28ga and shoot some trap/skeet. --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Looks like a great place for the incoming doves. Don't know what you use for a grass killer but I have had great success with HDX from Home Depot. EXACT same ingrediants as Round-Up but costs about 1/2 as much.

I used to have a buddy that worked for CSX Railroad and he would get me some of the stuff that they spray along the edge of the tracks. That stuff would kill absolutely anything.

Time to break out the old 28ga and shoot some trap/skeet. --- SAWMAN

Funny you mention the RR, my cousin retired from the RR, years ago he used to give my dad some powder(forgot the name) that came in what I think were 40plb. bags... it would do the same... kill ANYTHING it got near.

I have half a bag left but I'm afraid to go anywhere near it... I want to say it's banned years ago.

We used something with the name Range or Ranger in it, I did not pay close attention. It was $49 for a 3 gal. jug. With that 3gal jug we made 110gals of juice that got us two even applications over the field pictured.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For doves,deer,and turkey you should consider milo also. There are several types of it and have planted two different versions of it,however can't remember which ones. It grows tall with huge seed pods. Some of this is used in bags of commercial bird seed for the backyard bird feeder.

It grew great on my plots. Breaks ground fast and grows to about shoulder to 8ft high. I have game cam pics of the deer walking up to it to stratal it with their front legs. They slowly advance and as it is laid over with their chest,they strip the seed pods. I used to bush hog it after deer season and for fall turkey the birds with tear it up. --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    For doves,deer,and turkey you should consider milo also. There are several types of it and have planted two different versions of it,however can't remember which ones. It grows tall with huge seed pods. Some of this is used in bags of commercial bird seed for the backyard bird feeder.

It grew great on my plots. Breaks ground fast and grows to about shoulder to 8ft high. I have game cam pics of the deer walking up to it to stratal it with their front legs. They slowly advance and as it is laid over with their chest,they strip the seed pods. I used to bush hog it after deer season and for fall turkey the birds with tear it up. --- SAWMAN

Thanks for the tip... never hurts to diversify a crop...

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Planted dove fields for years, inspected just about every year, even by the federal game warden (now there is a trip), yep doves can bring the feds, and never had an ounce of problem about mowing. We planted Egyptian wheat around the edge with dwarf sunflowers about 10 ft outside of that, with brown top and milo or sorgum on the inside, about 40 acres in all. The trick is to cut a couple of passes down the middle with a run along the edge of the wheat, about a week out then leave the rest standing. Good looking field, looks like the only thing you are missing is power lines.

Good luck, a strong wind or a little storm can mess up a great dove hunt, they are real touchy about the weather.
    Ed

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Planted dove fields for years, inspected just about every year, even by the federal game warden (now there is a trip), yep doves can bring the feds, and never had an ounce of problem about mowing. We planted Egyptian wheat around the edge with dwarf sunflowers about 10 ft outside of that, with brown top and milo or sorgum on the inside, about 40 acres in all. The trick is to cut a couple of passes down the middle with a run along the edge of the wheat, about a week out then leave the rest standing. Good looking field, looks like the only thing you are missing is power lines.

Good luck, a strong wind or a little storm can mess up a great dove hunt, they are real touchy about the weather.
    Ed

We are so far off the beaten path I'm not expecting any visitors... even though I'd welcome them. Sure would love to have power lines... you are spot on with that. I wonder if we could rig something up for the season... hand a bunch of decoys out as well.

No pics to share but buddy said the spray did well... he's hitting it again tomorrow but I'm up in the Monticello area giving a ladies handgun class. We will continue to push forward... I'll update later.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Question: When you plant dove fields ... how does anyone know that you planted dove fields ???
    The feds,the wardens,WHAT ... ? ... they drive around looking for "dove fields" ??
    Do they put drones in the air ??? Re-task satalites ?? Delta Force ??
    Our tax dollars at work,huh ??? ---SAWMAN

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They do not have to look very hard at all, several shotguns make a good bit of noise that travels for miles. You just drive to a central area, stop, get out of your car and listen, then you just drive to the guns. The officers can go where no one else can go, legally, like right on and into your property without a warrent.

Last time we had a good shoot, off 20 just west of Freeport, in about 1 hour we had a dozen officers come to visit. All went well and no one got into trouble. They just roared in on PUs down both sides of the field, one dad got a serious talking to for allowing his two minor sons to be away from him. When John and I left the field on 4 wheelers is when we got to meet the federal game warden for NW Florida, he was out of Panama City. He was a good guy to us but other hunters have not fared well with him
    Ed

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For several years we hunted crows over my way (just north of Molino). During our hunts,which had us shooting at first light then again at last light,we shot probably 200rds of 12 and 20ga.
    We have never had a warden approach us or even be waiting at the gate.
    Night hunting for hogs and coyotes we have only been approached once.
    We strictly obay all game laws so we really do not care if they approach as long as they do not ruin too many hunts.
    The FWC guys have been respectful to me and I to them. Never even been asked for a license. --- SAWMAN

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Their inspections of dove fields is mostly keyed on the opening day noon start, and the day of change from half to full day, those are the times we were ever checked. You may be thinking well why would they pay any attention to dove hunters, money. Limit is 12 birds and any birds over are $100 each, however the fine does not work like you might think and this comes directly from the mouth of a warden; We can not tell which bird was 13, so every bird is over, walah, you just went from $100 to $1,300, for 13 birds plus if they have a mind to, consfiscation of guns and transporting vehicle. This is why you hear about game wardens getting shot in the field, the potential loss of assets can be severe even for and especially for bird hunters.

This all is why we always had a meeting of the guys at the parking area, before going out on the field, to explain that we were on land we were allowed to plant and hunt and we did not want any problem with wardens over licenses, stamps, plugs or limits, no outlaw shooting would be tolerated by the land owner. We started using paper plates nailed to survey steaks with numbers then drew number from a box, each shooter went to his or her number, no one had a favorite spot they went to every day.
    Ed

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yep... one tactic is to drive the county side and listen for gun fire. Some get an early heads about bird fields up by people talking. We're LEO's so no shady crap will be going on. I used to do quite a bit of duck hunting and I'm used to being checked... no big deal. Can't ever remember getting checked while dove hunting on private land... even in SC hunting extremely large/popular public bird fields. Come to think of it, the last/only time I remember ever being checked was around 1999/2000 on Ft. Jackson, SC.

I used to hunt dove over in Cottondale... late 1980's...

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just delay the first partial cuts until the seed is ripe. I would say you may be a month late.
    Ed

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just delay the first partial cuts until the seed is ripe. I would say you may be a month late.
    Ed

Apparently down here in central Florida everyone said plant around the 4th of July weekend give or take a week so that puts us in the general area. Of course opening weekend for us is usually the first weekend in October as opposed to September like most other places... so that gives us roughly 11 Updates to follow...

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well good luck, with the wind, rain and seed crop getting ripe.
    Ed

Top Bottom