• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I talked about shot calling with a couple members yesterday and I thought it would be a good topic for discussion here.

First, let's define shot calling. Shot calling is knowing (precisely or approximately) where your bullet has impacted on the target, based on your view of the sight alignment at the moment the shot breaks.

Why is it important? In shooting sports such as IDPA, USPSA and 3-gun where your score is based on time as well as accuracy, shot calling is extremely beneficial because it gives the shooter the information they need to decide whether or not to make up a shot.

How to do it: Travis Thomasie has a pretty good video here:

Honestly, I think there may be some additional steps before you get to the drill Travis recommends.

My thoughts are as follows: Know where your bullet impacts when your sights are perfectly aligned. Then, shoot at a close target and slightly misalign your sights to see how and how much it affects the shot placement. Once you know how much misalignment will still give you an acceptable hit, then you can move out to a distance where you can't easily see the holes in the target (probably 15-25 yards). Do a relatively fast, but controlled draw and shot. Focus on your sight alignment when the shot broke, then go downrange to see where the bullet impacted. Once you gain all of that knowledge, then I think you're ready for Travis' drill where you fire multiple shots and call each of them before checking the target.

I'm still working on shot calling, but I feel like I get better each time I shoot. When dry firing yesterday, I was subconsciously calling my shots (high, low, left, right) even when I was in speed mode and wasn't concerned about accuracy. Right now, I can "feel" a bad shot, which is typically when you see me make one up on paper. I'm not to the point where I can always describe where the shot went, but I can tell that something wasn't right when I pulled the trigger. Occasionally this results in 3 A or Down Zero hits, but as Max Michel says, "You'll never lose a match by having 3 holes in a target." When in doubt, make up the shot. You'll be much better off spending the fraction of a second to shoot once more than you would be to leave a bad hit or no hit at all.

Anyone else have a better way to learn to call shots or have any insight on the topic?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Improving your ability at calling your shot is important. Last November I had the opportunity to spend four days training with Pat McNamara and calling the shot was a drill he included in our training.

I have since adopted the drill and include it in my AR15/Carbine classes as well as my Long Range Precision Rifle classes.

I use a B-27 target and supply the shooter with an 8"x10" copy. At 50 yards using irons, red dots, or a scope, the shooter will shoot 5 or 10 rounds from a standing position, slow fire, and note on their copy of the target where they perceived their shot to be at the moment the trigger broke. I stress concentration on getting that mental snap-shot of the sight picture/alignment as the shot breaks.

I also use NRA B-8 targets to do the same exercise. At first, shooters who have never done such an exercise are iffy as to whether or not they can do it with any degree of success... but for most, it proves to be a worthy and eye-opening drill.

Mr.T

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Out standing topic. I just returned from FL Open match in Frostproof. All of the Top shooters shot-call. Their make up shot is faster because of the shot calling ability, 1/10th or 2/10th (1/5th) of a second. March 11th is USPSA AL Sectional at Dothan Gun Club. Come out to test your practice. There are still slot available.

Top Bottom