• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Model70

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    will they ever come down in price so some of us poor folks can afford them? the one I was looking at is $3,500! I have a serious pig problem but evidently my pocket problem is worse LOL! damn I want one bad

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Thermals are s-l-o-w-l-y coming down in price and up in features...sorta like computers do. Do you buy now and enjoy the use or wait until prices come down and not have the use for a year or more...that's the question.

Model70

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just how "serious" is your problem ?? --- SAWMAN

Small piece of property in Baldwin county. The hogs have taken over but the farmer doesn't want to pay to get rid of them. I wouldn't mess with it but I have the deer hunting rights and the deer have damn near disappeared because of them. Oh and I enjoy shooting the pigs!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Not knowing --> Your financial situation,how much you will actually use the sight,how much enjoyment that it will actually bring you,I say -->

I have liked a newly offered weapon so much that I have spent quite a bit more on the weapon because I knew that I would use it,gain enjoyment from using it,and I could accomplish more of what I was looking for by owning it. I'm sure that this is the same for a newly offered computer,tablet,smart phone,vehicle,etc,etc.

Like Bruce sez,if you choose to wait until the prices come down your missing out on the use of the sight. Plus ... I would ask ... Come down how far ?? Remember,as prices come down and availability comes up,so does the demand. That demand will(probably)stabilize the price... OR ... might even raise it a bit. Now what ?????????

I have owned a ATN THOR for some 2+ years now. I paid big bucks for it because it is at the higher end of the THOR offerings. My "theory" on the use of thermal or the higher end NV is this. 1. How much use will you get out of it ?? 2. Can you REALLY afford the unit that you want ... WITH ... the features that you want on it ?? 3. How much will the added features help you enjoy the chosen sight ??

A thermal sight with more than white hot and black hot is unnecessary. A sight with more than 4X magnification is unnecessary. (To me a 1X-4X would be perfect.) The sight with the highest resolution possible should definitely be considered. If you plan on shooting at moving targets the highest "blink rate" should be considered. At least 30hz ... 60hz is better IMO. A thermal sight,or NV for that matter,should have no other features besides a record feature. Personally,I do not even need that. Although I would like to have a unit with a built in range finder(invisible laser).

Bottom line ---> If you can afford it and your gonna use it quite often,consider buying it. --- SAWMAN

Model70

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    thanks for the input SAWMAN. I agree, I don't want or need a ton of options on a thermal sight. record feature would be cool but not a must. I would like at least a 50mm for the field of view and 60hz is what I had in mind. I usually buy quality stuff when it comes to all aspects of life (especially hunting) but I`m having a very hard time letting go of this kind of coin. also, if I could get a buddy to buy one too that would make it easier. we usually hunt in pairs although I did go by myself last Thursday night by myself and killed a couple good ones. if I could get some other farmers to pay me to kill pigs I would just bite the bullet and get one.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My THOR is a 50mm and 60hz. It is also a 640 resolution. As with a regular daylight scope,the size of the objective will step up the viewing quality. My scope is also a 3X,6X,and 12X. The 3X setting is used 90% of the time. If I am shooting from a static position and the hogs/yotes are not moving around too much,I will go up to the 6X setting but would rather have the bump up to 4X. The 12X is never used ... however ... it was surely paid for.

Would suggest that you not even consider a ATN X-Sight. Big problems with them ... waaaaay too complecated ... tons of shit that the hunter does not need. BUT ...... I have read that with the THOR there is a possability of reticle shift when filming. Never tried so can't confirm. --- SAWMAN

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is like the first $1,000 shotgun, then $2,500 then by the time you get to $8,500 it is not a problem any more. Besides that money sliding out of your wallet only stings for a minute, just like the DR, this may sting a little, the item lasts a long time. Just hope you are not like me, built the gun, bought the Photon sight, loaded the loads and the damned hogs disappeared. Now the whole mess just sits in the vault, gathering dust, waiting for the return of Mr Piggy..... You like it, you can use it, you can afford it, buy it. With one exception, well two, no loss of food or housing for the kids and the wife is not going to give you a lot bigger lawyer's bill. :)
    Ed

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I agree... once you spend "big money" it tends to get easier the next time around...

I'm lucky... I have a PVS-14 issued to me that I use a lot and come October 1st, I will have a really nice NV scope on a new Rem 700.

I'm the Sniper Team Leader for my agency and this budget year we are adding two NV capable rifles to our tool box. The administration was kind enough to approve my request... I wanted a clip-on option but due to costs I settled for two D790 Magnus 6x Gen 3 Scopes with UnFilmed White Phosphor... they will sit on top of Rem 700 LTRs. Can't wait to get my hands on them and bang steel in total darkness... and hogs... good to have a job with perks...lol.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good to have another sniper on the board. I was the battalion sniper of the 2/319th in the 101st Airborne Div from 64-67. You guys have some good equipment sounds like and good training today. Good luck.
    Ed

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good to have another sniper on the board. I was the battalion sniper of the 2/319th in the 101st Airborne Div from 64-67. You guys have some good equipment sounds like and good training today. Good luck.
    Ed

Thank you for your service.

I'm fortunate to work for an agency that lets people who do the job give input. When I started the quest for NV options, I was advised by several in the know to stick with true 3rd Gen NV and avoid thermal... face recognition is important in LE type Sniper/Observation work as I'm sure you know.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the gear and trying it out.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    How important is facial reccognition for the civilian sniper ?? At what ranges would this apply ??

Seems to me that it would be more important that you basically cannot hide from thermal,however you can quite easily hide(in plain sight) from NV. I have no civilian sniper type training or have never acted in that capacity. I do however have hundreds of hours looking thru a higher end thermal on top of a 6.8/AR and a couple different bolt guns.

I have used several different older NVD's in the military and have never been really impressed. I do however acknowledge that the NVD's and the IR illiminators have come a long way in the last 20 years or so. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: WTF is going on with the pics. I typed "sniper" and when I posted the site changed the word to a stooopid little picture. Did it again dammit. Hey MODS ............................??

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    How important is facial reccognition for the civilian sniper ?? At what ranges would this apply ??

Seems to me that it would be more important that you basically cannot hide from thermal,however you can quite easily hide(in plain sight) from NV. I have no civilian sniper type training or have never acted in that capacity. I do however have hundreds of hours looking thru a higher end thermal on top of a 6.8/AR and a couple different bolt guns.

I have used several different older NVD's in the military and have never been really impressed. I do however acknowledge that the NVD's and the IR illiminators have come a long way in the last 20 years or so.

If I were spending my own money and were acquiring a sight for recreational shooting and hunting, I'd go thermal... fine recognition of details are not important in those roles in my opinion.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    the best option is a thermal weapons sight and a helmet mounted PVS 14 NVD to navigate and spot with, then if you have the cash a thermal monocular on a lanyard.

Top Bottom