• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have a Bushmaster carbine that I bought about 16 years ago and I knew nothing about AR rifles. It has the non removable carry handle. Now 16 years later I know about the same about ARs and would like to have my upper receiver swapped out to a flat top for mounting optics. How much would that run for labor and who could do it right? It appears that I can get a stripped receiver for about $90 if I look around. I am in no hurry. Thanks in advance, Murphy.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's not very difficult, with the proper tools.

If you ever get over this way and I have time, I'll do it for a 6 pack.

Are you wanting to keep the handguard, barrel, FSB, etc.? Or do you want to swap those parts out as well?

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are many on here who would walk you through this swap, me not one of of them, they will respond soon I am sure !!!!! Denny in pace !! Maybe. Youtube ??

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It's not very difficult, with the proper tools.

If you ever get over this way and I have time, I'll do it for a 6 pack.

Are you wanting to keep the handguard, barrel, FSB, etc.? Or do you want to swap those parts out as well?

I might swap out the front sight post if it would interfere with my scope line of sight. Does it have to be removed to remove barrel from the upper receiver? I would keep the hand guard because I picked up a PSA mid length AR last week with a key mod rail so I will mount a light to it for hunting hogs.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I might swap out the front sight post if it would interfere with my scope line of sight. Does it have to be removed to remove barrel from the upper receiver? I would keep the hand guard because I picked up a PSA mid length AR last week with a key mod rail so I will mount a light to it for hunting hogs.

Depending on what kind of scope you put on the rifle, it may or may not interfere. It's been a long time since I dealt with a FSB, but I think it can remain attached to the barrel while removing the barrel from the receiver (will just have to remove the gas tube from the FSB). The biggest problem is removing the FSB from the barrel. The taper pins can be a big pain to get out.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Let us know when you get around to swapping parts Murfpcola. Plenty of guys on here including myself that would help out. It's really a simple process with the right tools and little experience.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What is everyone's opinion on the carry handle scope mount? I would assume in general that they would not stay zeroed long and that is why I am looking at the flat top option. I won't be shooting it a bunch or in any matches. Mostly just on the occasional invite to shoot some wild hogs.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you come this way soon, I can help you out. Just got back from work. Well get a truly to your PM shortly.

FWIW. Not a fan of the carry handle mount. Height over bore is really high.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I have a Bushmaster carbine that I bought about 16 years ago and I knew nothing about AR rifles. It has the non removable carry handle. Now 16 years later I know about the same about ARs and would like to have my upper receiver swapped out to a flat top for mounting optics. How much would that run for labor and who could do it right? It appears that I can get a stripped receiver for about $90 if I look around. I am in no hurry. Thanks in advance, Murphy.

I just sent you a PM.

Top Bottom