• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RGriff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I got the bug for another rifle and decided I was goin to go with a Mini30 despite all the bad things said about it. I had my reservations but picked up a new 583 series anyways. I broke it in with Tula and Wolf ammo. Yes, I know it's not good for them but it's my rifle and I don't care, lol. So without modifications it shot pretty good with just a couple FTF with steel case but slung the cases into the next zip code. So I followed some advice I came across and polished the bolt face and firing pin with fine jewelers rouge just enough to get it to a low sheen. I also replaced the gas port bushing with a smaller diameter and installed 2-1911 recoil buffers. One on the front of the op rod and one on the gas port exit. Then I installed a barrel stabilizer. The result of all this is a rifle that dropped the brass right next to me while not cycling violently at all. My 10 year old loved shooting it and he is very recoil sensitive. Accuracy with steel has was right at 2-3MOA with open sights and steel case ammo. I do have to say I was pleasantly surprised and have a rifle my kids can use for hogs due to it's low weight and recoil.

Bones2586

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice informative post sharing what you did. Sweet! Glad it worked out well, looking forward to seeing some pics now of your son taking a hot! Giddy up! Cheers!

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nice information. My dad has a rancher model in stainless and I have always enjoyed shooting it. Might have to look into your mods one day.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The older Mini-30s have a .308 barrel while the new models have a .311-12 barrel. The mini is mostly why 7.62x39 die sets for reloading come with both expander buttons, .308 and .311
    Just a heads up.
    Ed

Top Bottom