HD Tactical

Bad outcome for Texas man who interviened with his gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It was certainly a horrible decision he made. Lots of people with guns want to be a hero but I am telling you for me, unless someones life is in danger, I am not going to put myself in the line of fire

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yeah I read that and it is a sad ending to an unfortunate situation....tough decision to intervene or not and it is easy for us armchair qbs to have opinions. I tell myself often, don't show your gun unless you need to use it and the best defense is avoidance. pull that gun, pull that trigger and you likely will live but your life will be forever changed and likely will be a tough road legally.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    if he had gotten the 22 yr old & killed him, the cry would have been he murdered him, and more than likely, the outcome would be murky....not a road I want to go down.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Very sad situation for the guy and his family. Accounts like this make me assess my skills and attitude for having and using my ccw. I'm certainly not going to say what I would have done or not done differently. I just pray for the recovery of his family.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have thought long and hard about using my gun, I am sure everyone has there own idea about what they would do in alot of things. I have just about decided that if it isn't MY life in danger that I will leave it in it's hoster.
    Let LE take care of it. Domestic is a no..no for sure because usually it is the wife that will bail him out.
    I am no Rambo and only have 11 rounds because I don't cary a Glock and have been known to miss.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What the hell is wrong with people??? Millitary man shot at gf over selfie, really? What a weak man. Prayers for the victims.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just saw that update to the story where she said it started over a selfie she posted. You know the sad thing is, had he had his gun on him and justifiably dropped the guy immediately no questions asked when he started shooting, the girl probably would have been mad and raging at him for shooting her husband and told the police he was an aggressor.

There is zero to be gained in putting yourself into the middle of a domestic situation. There is a reason the police hate those calls and normally will not go into them before back-up arrives.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My question is, why the hell would you get close enough to a BG with a gun for hI'm to be able to slap it out of your hand???

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Fupa...I think he made up the part about slapping the gun out of the good guys hand to his superiors to sound like it was self defense. From reports, good guy (T.J. Antell) was a former Marine and not sure if he owned, but he operated a crossfit gym called 'crossfit abator'. I don't think he had any idea of it being a domestic violence thing...I agree with most that I would not go on the offensive in this case, but would have hung back on defense as unless you are a LEO trained person, not your problem. Worst thing I read on this was quote by wife (shooting victim #1) " I just want to let him know that I do forgive him. Because you're supposed to forgive people you're just never supposed to forget it. But I just hope that he gets the help he needs....” Married for 2 months. what a fucking looser.
    This story kinda reminds me of the 2 police ambushed in Las Vegas in 2014, a good samaritan tried to intervene and he was gunned down also... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Las_Vegas_shootings

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As part of my training as a Naval Aviator, I was taught that thinking about "what ifs" could be a life saver. For example, every time I took a catapult shot I mentally rehearsed half a dozen possible results (including a normal launch) and what my reaction would be; cold cat shot, engine failure, landing gear failure, fire, bridle failure. I never had to eject, but I like to think that my mental preparation would have maximized my chances of surviving.

I frequently do the same thing as a gun owner; i.e. car-jacking, stranger on the lawn/porch, burgler inside my house, bad guy running out of my house, ATF smashing down my door, etc. One possible scenario I frequently review in my mind is almost exactly the same as the one described in this story. In short, no matter what happens in a parking lot, unless the bad guy is coming after me or my wife, my response will be limited to making a phone call.

If poor Antell decided ahead of time he would draw his weapon and attempt to arrest and/or shoot any bad guy in a parking lot, he has my respect. But if his decision was made on the spur of the moment, then let that be a lesson to anyone who carries a weapon.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I cringe when I hear people arguing against gun control advocates by stating 80% of the time guns are used to save lives without being fired. Not even sure how that statistic is substantiated but it's just a dangerous mindset to have if one carries a gun and could likely get one killed like it did this unfortunate man.

Too many Hollywood standoff moments etched in people's memories I guess. It was obviously unreasonable for the guy to go crazy shooting at his wife's feet. However his most likely instant gut reaction to having a gun pointed at him was fight or die. Action beats reaction every time. He made the decision to shoot first and that was that. Now I don't think he has any protection under a self-defense claim but his gut reactions were understandable from a perspective of pure instinctual survival.

I believe those who carry need to put the whole good guy bad guy thing out of their mind as it pertains to pure self-defense, which is the only reason one's gun should see the light of day, because it can cloud rational thinking imo. The fact that one has a higher moral standing means absolutely nothing to the guy with a gun pointed at him. He just doesn't want to die at that moment regardless of the crimes he just committed.

Not to open a well discussed and debated issue but it sort of plays into my thoughts on the potential perils of open carry as well. Tactically there is just no better way to do it then for the aggressor to realize you are armed simultaneously with the recognition of your muzzle flashes.

Poor guy put him self into a true no-win situation. He may could have survived by going at him gun blazing but where would that have left him with the law? The guy was retreating inside his car and posing no immediate threat. Hopefully concealed carriers will take it in and learn from it but I imagine maybe 1% of them will even see this story.

Top Bottom