• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Anyone got any pet loads? Looking for the 123amax specifically.

What powder is good to go?

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      27.2 KB · Views: 150
    • Capture1.PNG
      Capture1.PNG
      21.6 KB · Views: 149
    • Capture2.PNG
      Capture2.PNG
      4.9 KB · Views: 152

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Watch your dies, there are at least two different chambers early and late and different dies, the Lee Dies are cut for late chambers and are different than the Redding dies which are cut for early chambers. I had to reorder for Redding dies after I could not get the Lee dies to work correctly for my barrel.

I also use fire-formed Win 7.62x39 brass as it is harder, stronger and lasts longer than Fed.
    Ed

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, LRP. I also have a 7.62x39 upper with a 10 twist in .308. So I have multiple use for the brass. I plan to buld a 30x6.5 Grendel by rechambering the barrel, when I get around to it.
    Ed

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a bunch of ppu one time fired brass which also uses LRP. Cant beat 11/box for grendel ammo that produces roughly MOA or a bit better at 100yds. I had just picked up some 8208 powder at the last gunshow here in pcb for my 556. Glad I can use it for grendel also.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just threw away 100 PPU large primer brass after 2-3 firings. Primer pockets were so loose, I had primers start blowing out. I won't ever touch that stuff again. Using Hornady and Lapua brass currently with no issues.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Usually everyone reccomends that you start by converting unfired, new brass, but I have done the same thing for other cases myself without ill effect. But I would imagine if the brass web were bulged during firing the first time it would not be good.

When working up loads towards max, be careful becaus the Grendel wiil go from no pressure signs to a blown primer in .5 grains. When I finish a load work up for a day, I measure the last load's, most powder, primer pockets to make sure they are holding to spec.

What length barrel and twist are you working with and how is that powder working for you? The Grendel forum has a pretty good bonch on it with a good bit of info. One big thing missing from the above data is the 107 SMK which the inventer of the 6.5 Grendel actually prefers fot long distance shooting.
    Ed

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am running a Radical Arms 24" 1-9 and have had the best luck with 123 AMax and Nosler HPBT as well as Sierra 120 ProHunters. The blown primers were caused by pockets looser than a $10 hooker, not charge size. What I have learned is that PPU Grendel brass is actually reformed and restamped leftover 7.62x39 brass. Buyer beware.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Watch your dies, there are at least two different chambers early and late and different dies, the Lee Dies are cut for late chambers and are different than the Redding dies which are cut for early chambers. I had to reorder for Redding dies after I could not get the Lee dies to work correctly for my barrel.

What was the chambering problem with the dies? Round didn't chamber or accuracy?

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I recall correctly, been a couple of years, the Lee die when sizing brass after firing would give me intermittent problems going into battery, sometimes it would fire, sometimes it wouldn't. Switching to Redding dies fixed the problem for me. I got the Lee dies from Alexander, sold to me as Alexander dies, but I bought a Model 1 barrel that obviously was chambered different. Probably if you buy an Alexander barrel and Alexander dies you will not have any problem.
    Ed

Top Bottom