• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotpop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just wanted to let EVERYONE know that the NRA has stopped all First Steps classes and as of this month First steps classes are supposed to cease.. if an NRA Instructor is teaching First Steps classes, be advised that they are NOT teaching the courses as directed by the NRA...

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    True. IMO, a flat money grab by the NRA to go to computer based "blended" courses. I used to teach the First Steps Pistol classes, as the materials were good and the NRA made a few dollars on every class. But no longer. In Florida anyway, a qualifying class doesn't have to be an NRA class......it can be any class taught by an NRA certified instructor. I expressed this to the NRA training department. The associations position was that they were trying to make sure everyone received " consistent" training. The inconsistency was and always will be in the range portion of the class, something the new format still doesn't fully address.

So for me, i am still available to perform the range and certification portion of the new "blended" format. But for normal basic pistol complete classes, I've composed and will be conducting my own. Formal certificates will still be issued and are acceptable to the Department of Agriculture (cwp issuing authority). I will still stump for the NRA at these classes as always, but they will receive no immediate cash benefit.

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I also contacted the NRA about training materials already purchased and not used as of yet. They will continue to recognize certificates from materials already purchased.....instructors just cannot purchase more. So if all NRA materials plus certificates are present, they are legit and First Steps classes are as well. I know a few instructors who stocked up on training packages after the announcment of the cbt changeover.

Top Bottom