• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Absolutely TP ----> +1 for the 45 Raptor. What a AR thumper was always supposed to be. The Socom,the Beowulf,the .499LW,the reapers and peepers are pretty much nothing compared to the Raptor. --- SAWMAN
    If I reloaded, I'd look into it now. But until it catches on a little more, I'll just have to dream about it. I'd love to slap a 45 Raptor upper on my .308.

Ballistically and power wise, holy cow!!!!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah,I have a pretty beefy AR/308 that has gotten kinda ---> :bored: A 45Raptor upper would make it interesting again. However it definitely IS a reloaders chambering. ESPECIALLY ....in a gas/AR platform. I have seen what the 460S&W is capable of in the longer bbl bolt and single shot guns. They shine. The Raptor is essentially the same cartridge. In 20+ inches of bbl the performance potential really starts to shine.

The 277W is for reloaders also. Actually I still consider the 6.8 and several others a reloaders chambering. Including the 300BLK. Yeah ..... you can buy factory ammo,it is not a "wildcat". However when you reload some of these,the real potential in accuracy and hunt'ability really comes out.

The 277W will gain in popularity. But to what point. I say ---> it will never get as popular as the 6.8SPC. It will never have the interest or backing that the 6.8 has,even now. I'm not really sure that it would be a better hunter than the 300BLK. In the range department yes,however I consider both of these a 200yd chambering.

Although absolutely RIGHT .......:wave: ........ these are opinions only. --- SAWMAN

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Brandon,
    I will chalk up your comment to lack of knowledge about the Grendel. It's performance is far superior to the Wolverine by any comparison. First, the Grendel is actually based on a blown out 7.62x39 with a larger capacity than a 7.62x39 or 223. It will shoot sub half MOA at 1,000 with a 107 SMK which it will launch at 3,000 fps plus. It will launch a 120 SMK at 2,700 fps while shooting sub 1/2 MOA at 100. You can full function the AR action with 160s at 1,094 fps and get sub 1/2 Inch at 50 with serious penetration by the pencil of a bullet. Yes, I am the one on the Grendel forum to first get full function with an AR sub gun setup, with the Grendel. I also shoot a 6.5 can.

I do a lot of work with wildcats, and have shot the Ugalde cats (later known as TCU cartridges) for about 30 years. The optimum rifle cat based on the 223, due to capacity constrictions, is the 6mm TCU, IMO. You must have capacity, powder, to launch heavy bullets to overcome the energy of lighter bullets at a faster velocity. The Wolverine is simply lacking in capacity and buying another bolt and magazine for a 6.8 is no reason to buy a 277 walker, compared to the 6.8 runner.

Now, I sold my 6.8 upper, because it was a duplicate of my 6.5 Grendel, which made it good, but not better, than what I already owned in the 6.5 Grendel.

There is nothing at all wrong with playing but do not let yourself get pulled in by the hype on these new wonder cartridges. Glad the 277 is working for you.
    Ed

Why would someone want and under powered 30 cal? Or an under powered 10mm? or a under powered 357 mag? Or an under powered 44 mag? Or an under powered 6.5? I mean why get the Grendel when you can jump up to the big brother? Because we want it lol

Why would people need any other cartridge besides a .308 when it has been getting it done for years? Again because we want it and not everyone has them and both have cons and advantages....

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Brandon,
    I will chalk up your comment to lack of knowledge about the Grendel. It's performance is far superior to the Wolverine by any comparison. First, the Grendel is actually based on a blown out 7.62x39 with a larger capacity than a 7.62x39 or 223. It will shoot sub half MOA at 1,000 with a 107 SMK which it will launch at 3,000 fps plus. It will launch a 120 SMK at 2,700 fps while shooting sub 1/2 MOA at 100. You can full function the AR action with 160s at 1,094 fps and get sub 1/2 Inch at 50 with serious penetration by the pencil of a bullet. Yes, I am the one on the Grendel forum to first get full function with an AR sub gun setup, with the Grendel. I also shoot a 6.5 can.

I do a lot of work with wildcats, and have shot the Ugalde cats (later known as TCU cartridges) for about 30 years. The optimum rifle cat based on the 223, due to capacity constrictions, is the 6mm TCU, IMO. You must have capacity, powder, to launch heavy bullets to overcome the energy of lighter bullets at a faster velocity. The Wolverine is simply lacking in capacity and buying another bolt and magazine for a 6.8 is no reason to buy a 277 walker, compared to the 6.8 runner.

Now, I sold my 6.8 upper, because it was a duplicate of my 6.5 Grendel, which made it good, but not better, than what I already owned in the 6.5 Grendel.

There is nothing at all wrong with playing but do not let yourself get pulled in by the hype on these new wonder cartridges. Glad the 277 is working for you.
    Ed

With all do respect please read my comments again I never compared the 6.5 Grendel to the Wolverine. The Grendel is a wonderful performer and I am currently in the works of building one. It was just a rebuttal to what Doc said about having an under powered 6.8 which is why I stated why have an under powered 6.5 (he owns a grendel) when you can have it's big brother... Again I never compared the 6.5 Grendel to the .277 Wolverine. The 6.5 Grendel can be a 1000 yard+ cartridge and has been proven to do that. The .277 Wolverine couldn't even put a finger one that.... And something I never said also is the .277 Wolverine is a long range performer in which it isn't. As from one of the first statements was how it can shoot MOA at 1,000 yards, so 10" or less. Seems like a wonderful feet when you are shooting a bullet with a BC of .430. I haven't yet used the Grendel but will eventually once I get mine built. It is just like what Sawman said another 200 yard cartridge. Of course on the right days you can reach consistently at 250 to 300 yards.

Last edited:

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, it is all good, your opinions and reasons are just as good, for sure. Did mean to sound harsh at all.

I am going to retire so I have enough time to do some real work on my first love, guns and reloading. Work is just getting out of hand, to much of it.
    Ed

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, it is all good, your opinions and reasons are just as good, for sure. Did mean to sound harsh at all.

I am going to retire so I have enough time to do some real work on my first love, guns and reloading. Work is just getting out of hand, to much of it.
    Ed

No I understand that I haven't been to the range in 3 months.....

Top Bottom